Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:54 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
20 Posts
I think Sundancer that my problem goes a bit deeper than that as I just tried what you suggested and the same thing happened . I don't use a computer as such ,I use an iPad on 3g not wifi and I think this maybe where the problem lies, maybe it's not completely compatable with the setup of this forum. Maybe there's someone out there that has some experiance with iPad .Geoff.
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:16 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Hi Reg,

Lazy Ace:

Email address from Kitcutters:
kitcutters@kitcutters.com


For the LDS complete set including plans Email:
http://store.laser-design-services.c...4ee3ae2779a160
Thanks Danny I did send them a mail. You can still join RBW for our visit to Duxford for the full-size warbird air show commemorating the arrival of the USAAF arriving at Duxford on april 1943. And how about the next big scale meet at La Ferté Alais next June ? What you do need is someone that can give your dog his daily walky so you can take some days off.......
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,471 Posts
Geoff, I think the problem is the iPad, not the 3G.
Where I am, we have virtually no Internet so, for the last year I've been using my PC on the 3G network. I have a little 3G stick, like a memory stick, that just plugs into a USB port. The 3G is perfectly OK, except that here we don't often have enough signal to watch a video properly.
However, my wife has the latest smartphone and Pad, and for ol' fools like us, they're far more "touchy" to handle than a PC. The touch-screen, no keyboard, and the fact that you lose the image quickly (to save battery) are all irritating and error generating factors. Youngsters who "moved up" from telephones to smartphones and pads all think that pads are great. However, if you've been using a PC for a long time (I've been working on a PC since 1985), all this phone-pad stuff is just too small and unpredictable. Not only that, in my own case, I want to spend the time I have left on old planes and engines etc., and not have to spend time learning a technology that I don't need.
The bottom line is that if you could operate a PC on your 3G connection, IMHO your life would be a lot easier.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:35 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Dyno

I may have this original Dyno for sale. Original yes, apart from the cylinder/piston assembly that was made repro by Ronald Valentine. Turns round rather tightly, I do feel it may want some more delicate lapping. Amazing this engine did not sell at the last Belgian wavre do ? We are talking a very seldom seen for-sale engine here. I was going to make a repro tank but with so many things to do I have up to now not found need and time for it.
Any serious offers ?
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,471 Posts
Probably not many people actually run original Dynos, but I try to run all my engines. You can learn so much from playing with engines, much more than just gazing at them in a glass case.
A few years ago, I was intrigued by the fact that André Gladieux had designed the Micron 5 as fixed compression, after obtaining a Dyno, so I decided to try to determine why handling a Dyno had led Gladieux to opt for fixed compression.
Starting without the compression screw was dead easy, first flick, just like with the screw! Not surprising that Gladieux considered variable compression to be unnecessary.
BUT, while the engine was running, I was even able to remove the fuel needle.
Here it is... No comp screw and no fuel needle, running perfectly well... How flexible can you get...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:14 PM
Old Timer
California Condor's Avatar
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Try that at 5 or 6 thousand feet altitude (Denver Colorado).
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Probably not many people actually run original Dynos, but I try to run all my engines. You can learn so much from playing with engines, much more than just gazing at them in a glass case.
A few years ago, I was intrigued by the fact that André Gladieux had designed the Micron 5 as fixed compression, after obtaining a Dyno, so I decided to try to determine why handling a Dyno had led Gladieux to opt for fixed compression.
Starting without the compression screw was dead easy, first flick, just like with the screw! Not surprising that Gladieux considered variable compression to be unnecessary.
BUT, while the engine was running, I was even able to remove the fuel needle.
Here it is... No comp screw and no fuel needle, running perfectly well... How flexible can you get...
One of my better mountings, the original Dyno on the right. I have run both. Notice the different angle of the exhaust on both. Still, A.Hende copys are beeing sold as original. There are other differences like the adjustment arm etcetera. I do have some fixed compressions but in fact have only run the 1cc version by Michel Molinié that I swapped with him for one of my OS ign.conversions I believe, and that ran very well. Recently nearly bought the Britisch Owat version. But no furter experience. But if it is that simpler and easier, why are'nt there more makes around ? I thought weather conditions were important. Were the Owat's any good ? Nearly bought another early Micron with that inverted carb and spring activated fuel shut-off, it had a blank head. Mine is a purple coloured one. The chap told me the blank one was earlier ?? I was told different, was it by you ? Not important. Maeby I should have bought it, price was about 290 euro.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor View Post
Try that at 5 or 6 thousand feet altitude (Denver Colorado).
CC, I've run several diesels at 5000 ft, on vacation in Austria, and also in Africa, at about the same altitude, in summer temperatures, and I didn't notice any difference.
Normal diesels (PAW and Mills) certainly ran normally. Of course, I didn't try any fancy tricks, just flying planes!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:56 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,471 Posts
Reggie, My Owats are really good engines. At least as good as a Micron. Unfortunately, they got a poor reputation in England, in the late forties, simply because the English were already used to variable compression (Mills). They didn't know how to operate fixed compression, and considered that they just didn't run!
I have four Owats, one of which has had a lot of running, but they all run very well indeed.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:59 PM
Old Timer
California Condor's Avatar
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
CC, I've run several diesels at 5000 ft, on vacation in Austria, and also in Africa, at about the same altitude, in summer temperatures, and I didn't notice any difference.
Normal diesels (PAW and Mills) certainly ran normally. Of course, I didn't try any fancy tricks, just flying planes!
Fixed compression ones?
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:00 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
MVVS .40 diesel and glow

The threads on the compression adjustment screw bottomed out and I couldn’t get the contra piston screwed down. I took the assembly shown in the picture, out and inserted basically a small washer for a spacer. I screwed the contra piston down until it just touched the piston at TDC, then backed it off slightly. Tightened up the adjustment screw so I now have a fixed compression diesel. Not sure how much compression, but probably close to maximum. The diesel now starts easily and seems to run ok with a large 15 x8 prop. It was either this, or have a spare for the glow version.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
The threads on the compression adjustment screw bottomed out and I couldn’t get the contra piston screwed down. I took the assembly shown in the picture, out and inserted basically a small washer for a spacer. I screwed the contra piston down until it just touched the piston at TDC, then backed it off slightly. Tightened up the adjustment screw so I now have a fixed compression diesel. Not sure how much compression, but probably close to maximum. The diesel now starts easily and seems to run ok with a large 15 x8 prop. It was either this, or have a spare for the glow version.
Well done ! I suppose there was not enough material thicknes in the head to put in a Recoil or Helicoil.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:09 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Three different excentric compression diesels
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:20 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Excentric compression diesel by Lumir Polednik
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:23 AM
Registered User
Reginald's Avatar
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,447 Posts
Homebuilt diesel, from a magazine plan ? Could do with some info.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need help with two diesel engines ! cosmin Engines 4 Apr 18, 2014 07:18 PM
Diesel Engines Aeromister Engines 8 Sep 01, 2009 07:17 AM
WTB-Model Diesel Fuel slogo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Nov 13, 2004 09:42 PM
scale model of engines dw1122 Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Apr 23, 2004 05:43 AM
diesel engines wyflyer_55 Fuel Plane Talk 7 Apr 22, 2002 02:45 AM