SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:43 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
For some reason Enya leaves the rocker cover off. It is supposed to be in the box though. I don't remember reading anything in the instructions about why they didn't put the cover on either.

Now in place of the glow plug there is just enough room for a Lenova Energy Cell to be put in. But you may have to stop the engine to adjust it though, as it will be close to the prop.

Cox had to come out with the narrow double slit exhaust ports to arrest sparks so the engines don't set off fires. There were some government regulations about it in the later years.
Yes it is in the box and the lid is off for reason of seeing the rockers move, not sure if it is in the Enya paperworks, could be in the publicity by Mike's Models from England where the engine came from. Will look that up on tuesday because I am toooo tired now, having had a VERY busy sales day at the Wavre-do, but I must admit, rather succesfull, amazing what one does have for treasures in the attic is'nt it ? And my wife will want to go have dinner somewhere on monday.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:48 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
OK, one day I'll go through all the Mk IIs, Comp Specials and Mk IIIs on this thread.
First of all, many Comp Specials exist with the front housing marked "Mk II", there are also many with the housing marked "Mk III", and there are also a lot where the "Mk III" in the casting has been crudely modified to "Mk II", i.e. they filed off the last "I"!
Concerning the Mk III 2.49 side-port, the real problem is that it was never really a "production" engine. The few that were made have significant differences (particularly concerning the carb/tank/fuel cutout), and there just aren't enough of them around to be able to establish what should be "normal".
We can discuss this further if anyone is interested...
Now, concerning the engine on eBay, the definite giveaway is the serial number "WM 1978 C". The "C" indicates that it's a Comp Special. The "W" means that it actually left the factory as a boat engine (so it's probably entirely original - good!) and, as is well-known, "M 1978" means that it's the 197th engine made in December 48.
Finally, "just for a smile" and concerning the 2.49 side-port... Those of you who possess Mike Clanford's book could have a look at the 2.49 side-port... and have a look at the (visible) serial number. The S/N ends with a "C"! Thus, IMHO, the engine has a "genuine" top end, that's been assembled on a Comp Special crankcase...
As the French say... "Ce n'est pas une science exacte..."
You do have an amazing knowledge on these engines, I do remember previous debates.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:02 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
You do have an amazing knowledge on these engines, I do remember previous debates.
Thanks Reggie, I've been messing around with EDs for more than 60 years. However, a couple of weeks ago, I learned something (about Gems Suzor) from you... The problem with all this is that we're supposed to be building and flying planes!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
I don't consider that it's a problem at all "we're supposed to be building and flying planes " .As far as I'm concerned even if we were discussing or makeing wheels or what ever its still part of what I enjoy and all part of our sport/hobby. I know a person who has never built or flown a model in his life ,but he makes nice engines ,and he considers himself an aero modeller and so do I .
Geoff Potter is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:12 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,623 Posts
Geoff, I agree entirely! It's an excellent example of "each to his own thing"!
Perhaps I expressed myself badly, when I wrote "we're supposed to be", I actually meant "I'm supposed to be".
My own particular problem is that I drool over the engines of David Owen and Ken Croft but, for me, it's too late to learn that level of skill.
If I tried to start learning, it's not certain that I would succeed quickly enough to be able to enjoy those skills for long enough to justify the learning effort. On the other hand, it is certain that it would prevent me from building all the wonderful old models that I've been dreaming about for decades, and which are gradually (OK, slowly!) getting built...
However, I'm full of admiration for those that went the opposite route, and consider that their hobby is mainly "model engineering". The results are often superb!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:21 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,519 Posts
I regard our hobby as like an indian headress a feather for each facet .
s'pose I got the idea from the saying a feather in his cap.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:26 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
MVVS glow converted to diesel?

A bit off topic, but I'll ask here anyway: Will I wish I hadn't tried if I machine a head/contrapiston, etc. for an ABC MVVS 2.5 engine? The stock diesels are steel sleeve/iron piston, but are no longer produced.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
I don't see why you would regret it if its done properly .If its a 2nd hand liner it could be past it's best and could create problems . I find that the head /contra insert needs to be a very good tight fit into the liner and a squeaky piston is good as well.I have done about 10 or 12 for myself and other people and they all run fine,except the one I'm doing now ,a very second hand Russian 46 glo,has MAC then 65ky on the transfer .The head was a supplied insert and is a shocking fit , so have lapped the liner and made a new piston ,28 percent silicon ,and now have to make a new insert.The owner wants to use it for Texaco,too much effort but he's a friend . I find steeleys last longer and don't bellmouth as easily as brass or aluminum but T/R engines are ok ,but of course are that much better again now with integral head technology . Geoff.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Jaguar

Found this one at the Wavre-do this charming little Jaguar 0,8cc diesel
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:45 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,622 Posts
The 0.8 cc Jaguar looks nice Reginald. Are you going to be able to fix up the anodizing on the second from the top cooling fin? Looks like there are pliers marks?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:09 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter View Post
I don't see why you would regret it if its done properly .
Very well. My concern is whether I'll need to make the contra any looser on an ABC cylinder than on a steel one? Different expansion rates, after all. My MVVS engines are new and squeaky tight. As for the Russian engine, what looks like "MAC" is МДС in Russian, or MDS in our alphabet. There, we've both learnt a bit!

The other Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
The 0.8 cc Jaguar looks nice Reginald. Are you going to be able to fix up the anodizing on the second from the top cooling fin? Looks like there are pliers marks?
No not really plier marks very tiny scratching, I do touch that up with a waterprof marker and leave the original anodising as is, turned a little very very dark blue instead of black. The engine has good compression and is on my list for testing. In 1955 this was the lightest 0,8cc diesel ever weighing only 35 gram. It does have the original spraybar and needle. The bigger 2,48 brother is far easier to find altough I have'nt got that one. Beside this diesel topic, anyone can tell me where to find plans for the 84 inch Lazy Ace (Cunningham) or even better kit or short kit. Tried to get into the LDS site but their entry form is similar to a police interrogation........... why not simply give a mail adress so I can place an order ?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Thanks for that info Geoff,in regard to your MVVS ,I was suggesting that it would work ok with a head insert type contra piston . Rather than putting a contra piston in the brass liner,make a head insert with a contra piston in it as they do with T/Race engines ,much better for the top of the liner.I wanted to put on two photos but I can still only get one to come up . I put in the first one ok and then when I put in the second it simply replaces the first one,don't understand !Geoff.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Hi Reg,

Lazy Ace:

Email address from Kitcutters:
kitcutters@kitcutters.com

For the LDS complete set including plans Email:
http://store.laser-design-services.c...4ee3ae2779a160
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Last edited by danny.act; Feb 12, 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Potter View Post
Thanks for that info Geoff,in regard to your MVVS ,I was suggesting that it would work ok with a head insert type contra piston . Rather than putting a contra piston in the brass liner,make a head insert with a contra piston in it as they do with T/Race engines ,much better for the top of the liner.I wanted to put on two photos but I can still only get one to come up . I put in the first one ok and then when I put in the second it simply replaces the first one,don't understand !Geoff.
To load more than one photo; you will notice when you click on the top "Choose file" button and select your photo then click "open" that when the screen reverts to the previous one the first "choose file" has been replaced by the url of your photo; you now need to click on the NEXT "Choose File" down, if you click the first one your second selected file will simply replace your first, so I presume this is what you must have done. You can load up to six a time like this, when you have finished click the "upload" button and a percentage counter will then appear bottom right of the screen as the files you have selected are uploaded. Once they have uploaded, click "save changes" and then "close this window" to return to your reply screen. If you want to upload more than six photos, just repeat..
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member