HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:42 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
RC carb, no air bleed
Congrats John...!...the "Super Racer" is a nice addition to your collection..!
It's a great engine. I have an identical example, purchased in the early 80's.
I found it extremely "friendly" to use - and the non-airbleed throttle works just fine, in spite of (or thanks to) its simplicity !

Your twin muffler setup is cool... ...I wish I'd purchased mine that way...
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 15, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krafty View Post
Hi folks
For about 20 years one of my hobbies was building and flying replicas of old model engines. I never built a glo engine, I did build a few diesels, but my real love was ignition engines. I thought it might be a bit of fun to post pictures of some my my own-built diesel engines without their names, just to see how good the guessing is. Some will not be possible to identify [unless you are one of the Motor Boys] because they are my own designs. Have fun.
Ken,
You are still the best in my eyes.
Frog 50 is offline Find More Posts by Frog 50
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:18 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,698 Posts
D-C 350 Mk II diesel, 3.5 cc, 1951

Thanks Heinz for posting #4484, the Davies Charlton D.C. 350. Looks like a very good diesel for its day.
Here’s a link to more information.
http://www.modelenginecollecting.com...-Charlton.html

DAVIES-CHARLTON ENGINES
Davies-Charlton Ltd,, were founded in Barnoldswick, where they produced the “Wildcat” 5cc and D-C 350 diesels. The “Rapiers” were made on the Isle of Man; as were all subsequent D-C engines. When Davies-Charlton ceased trading, their works manager Bill Callow took over the remaining parts and made engines under his company name of Dav-Cal at the Loop in Douglas, IOM. The final company was Ewdec, Ltd. in Douglas up to the time they became extinct.
The Isle of Man is part of the British Isles; but is not part of the United Kingdon. It has its own laws and government, etc.
Note: This is not a complete listing of the Davies-Charlton engines. Only a cross section. We would welcome input from collectors of this very interesting and colorful line of engines.
1951 D-C 350 Mk II
3.5cc (.21 cu in) Diesel. The Mk II version was almost identical to the first type, but had 6 head screws instead of 3. Originally equipped with a plastic backplate mounted fuel tank. Very popular and powerful in its day.
It was also produced in December of 1951 as a glow plug engine and featured a red painted head.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
120 Posts
Dc engine

I'm just in the middle of building an antique model for this DC engine. It was a pretty sad case when it was given to me ,it needed a piston ,contra ,rod ,NVA,prop nut and comp screw,all done and a very happy little engine on a 12/4 prop at 5000 rpm it is. Will post a photo when I figure it out Geoff.
Geoff Potter is online now Find More Posts by Geoff Potter
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:07 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hastf1b View Post
Davies Charlton D.C. 350

I do not know if the engine has been posted before.
Unless I missed it earlier it hadn't been posted before so thanks for that one. I had the later Mk II version in my collection of diesel tests so the Mk I has now been added. The glow versions are listed in the glow index.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:43 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Hi folks
For about 20 years one of my hobbies was building and flying replicas of old model engines. I never built a glo engine, I did build a few diesels, but my real love was ignition engines. I thought it might be a bit of fun to post pictures of some my my own-built diesel engines without their names, just to see how good the guessing is. Some will not be possible to identify [unless you are one of the Motor Boys] because they are my own designs. Have fun.
Your 9314 is an Ethéromane designed by Gems Suzor.
I bought this original one last year.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:47 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,873 Posts
Motor Boys

Here is another MB diesel. The other one is the Italian 0,1cc Wasp made by Giovanni Ceccarelli.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:53 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,873 Posts
Schlosser

My all time favourite tiny diesels are these Benno Schlosser .025cc jewels.
Incredible precision, terrific compression "feel". The very best.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:26 AM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Suzor "Etheromaine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Your 9314 is an Ethéromane designed by Gems Suzor.
I bought this original one last year.
Nice one. They are certainly rare, but I wonder what "original" means in the context of this motor. I always thought it was produced just as a diy design and never produced as a commercial engine.
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:37 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Nice one. They are certainly rare, but I wonder what "original" means in the context of this motor. I always thought it was produced just as a diy design and never produced as a commercial engine.
Well it was sold to me as beeing an engine built by the maestro himself.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:18 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Well it was sold to me as beeing an engine built by the maestro himself.
Reggie, I have to say that I agree with Ken.
I think your seller's description was slightly "approximate", in the knowledge that you'll never be able to prove anything... Sorry.
For me, it's also significant that the engine was sold "to outside France". However, it's still a nice engine to have...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:12 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Reggie, I have to say that I agree with Ken.
I think your seller's description was slightly "approximate", in the knowledge that you'll never be able to prove anything... Sorry.
For me, it's also significant that the engine was sold "to outside France". However, it's still a nice engine to have...
The engine came from the Miguel de Rancougne collection that was sold in 2004 by Christie's. I was under the impression that it was built by Georges Suzor himself, I do remember Miguel showing me this engine during one of his visits. But true, I do not have any decisive proof as you say.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:37 PM
France, Aquitaine, Duras
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
The engine came from the Miguel de Rancougne collection that was sold in 2004 by Christie's. I was under the impression that it was built by Georges Suzor himself, I do remember Miguel showing me this engine during one of his visits. But true, I do not have any decisive proof as you say.
I knew Miguel and I liked the guy and always found him very honest, too much so for his own good sometimes. If Miguel said it was build by Gems Suzor [who is Georges Suzor?] then I am sure he believed it was true.
krafty is offline Find More Posts by krafty
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:44 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,820 Posts
Quote:
I knew Miguel and I liked the guy and always found him very honest, too much so for his own good sometimes. If Miguel said it was build by Gems Suzor [who is Georges Suzor?] then I am sure he believed it was true.
http://www.vapeuretmodelesavapeur.co...zor/index.html
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Jan 16, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:57 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,687 Posts
Ken, I couldn't agree more! Miguel was a rare person.
In the mid-nineties, he moved to Paris from Belgium and I remember how excited he was when I informed him that he was living only about 400 m from Gems Suzor's old shop and, of course, I took him to see the shop. It was still there, with the same name (Le Tableau de Bord) but empty, when I last passed by, about 20 years ago.
Miguel accumulated such a huge number of engines, so fast, that his knowledge won't have gone beyond the fact that he had a Gems Suzor Etheromane. After that, I think the inventory and descriptions for the Christie's auction were written by Ron Moulton, another paragon of integrity.
Obviously, today, I doubt whether anyone could claim to know the details of Gems' trading, but it's generally considered that he made one-offs, for his own aircraft and boat projects, and then sold working drawings, parts and other supplies for modelling and engine building.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member