HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2009, 12:52 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
484 Posts
Hello Simon, it is a 1/2 A hight trust plane, desingnet by myself. The T piece is for cut off the engine run time.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2009, 02:14 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,970 Posts
Hi,
Here's a lineup of DC's

The Dart shown here is unrun - however I also have a "user" Dart with a problem: Its gudgeon pin started eating the liner wall... ...luckily I managed to obtain spares, but I have yet to assemble it, as I wish to find out if there is any "trick" connected to this problem that I'm unaware of....I would gratefully receive any hints how to prevent this from happen again.
This is a wonderful little engine, and next time I won't find the spares, for sure.....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old May 27, 2009, 05:05 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand
Hi,
Here's a lineup of DC's

The Dart shown here is unrun - however I also have a "user" Dart with a problem: Its gudgeon pin started eating the liner wall... ...luckily I managed to obtain spares, but I have yet to assemble it, as I wish to find out if there is any "trick" connected to this problem that I'm unaware of....I would gratefully receive any hints how to prevent this from happen again.
This is a wonderful little engine, and next time I won't find the spares, for sure.....
I have two Darts like yours, both have been in use and developed a problem caused by the gudgeon pin.
It was found that the gudgeon pin was too short and that the holes in the piston were too loose. This caused the pin to be able to slide one way and "eat up" the inner part of the hole on the one side.The play became such that the hole in the other side became oval, as did the bearing in the conrod.
The solution was to use a slightly larger diameter pin, ream the conrod to size, also the piston holes, but keep these tight enough that the pin had to be press fitted so it could not budge anymore.
The problem was compounded by the fact that the crankshaft had excessive fore and aft play. A washer of suitable thickness was fitted between the prop driver and crankcase to reduce the play to a couple of 1/10 mm, and the backplate turned such that it came deeper into the crankcase. I think you can spot the modifications on the attached picture of the Dart.
Both engines were done this way and have not given trouble since.
Incidentally, my Russian OTM "Kolibri" 0.8cc engine suffers of more of the same problem, the pin actually having disengaged on one side of the piston. It hasn't be modified yet, though.
I hope this helps.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old May 27, 2009, 08:57 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Among my clutter of PAW 80s, 100s, 2.5s and 19s, I do have some interesting engines...

The Mills is Burford/Ivor F's beauty. I nearly lost it on a G.Whitehead all-balsa Bristol Scout! What a motor...

OTM is still in the box; don't think it has ever run, having too much fun with my PAW55.

Oliver 2.5, and The King, Oliver Tiger Major R/C; it runs like a 40!

Burford/Ivor F again, a pair of 1.5 Sesquis. In my opinion, they should be in velvet-lined cases, like jewellery.

Super Tigre 2.5 RV; for teamrace, temperamental on anything less than an 8-8.

I LOVE diesels! Oops, forgot my MVVS, t/r, will post tomorrow maybe.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old May 27, 2009, 10:11 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,503 Posts
Nice lot of engines being shown here. My diesel's are pretty much all in models, so a bit hard to show them off.
I do have a real Oliver Tiger and a good CS version in C/L Pluto team racers, a Webra Piccolo radial mount that I bought in 1958, in a Luton Minor, Burford Sabre250 in a Black Magic, ED Comp. Special in a Frankenstein, 2 Webra 1.5 Records with beam and radial mounts in pylon models, Mills 1.3....a real one in a Ladybird Special and a good Indian replica one in a Little Vagabond.
4 real Mills.75s all in models.....Sporty bipe, Slicker42, Paageboy and Tomboy.
DC350 in an ACE C/L model, 2 DC Sabre's and a DC Spitfire that is my Grandsons.
DC Merlin in a Garami Strato Streak......Probably more????????

The SESQUI's shown brings back memories of early to mid 80s when I was in Sydney on business and I called in to see Ivor F who at the time had dozens of SESQUI's on his bench along with another on a test stand with a flywheel on it.
Ivor fired it up with a cord around a pully and the noise was unbelievable. It was doing 28,000rpm. The workshop was just full of noise and exhaust smoke. No prop. to blow it away.
I never bought one, but should have bought a dozen of them then and there on the spot for what they are worth today.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,551 Posts
Hiyu Gossie bro,
Re the Sesqui's , hindsite is wonerfully frustrateing thing hey, I feel the same about my Barbini's they were A$20 in the mid 80's , now over $200 if you can find one on offer. I feel blessed to have 2. Overal I think I have around 30 diesels of which 13 or so are NIB for my one day projects, or maybe my sons , I'll pass them on rather than sell them.
A few near the top of the build list are PB.33, MPJET R/C balraced, McCoy .049 beam mount, Mk17 with R/C throttle, Sharma 19 R/C + PAW muffler for full sized Simplex(have kit), MPJet Classic.
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old May 27, 2009, 11:48 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,503 Posts
Hi Stewart,
Long time no see. I remember you mentioned having the Barbini engines.
Way back $30.00 was the price in Melbourne, and of course I bought none but should have. Thems the breaks.
Still doing a spot of RC? I still fly a bit of FF and CL. Am yet to join 'The dark side'.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 28, 2009, 12:26 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
OK Cub .049 diesel, one of the best behaved engines in my collection, a really lovely engine weighing only 44 gram including the tank ! For comparison, the PAW 100 R/C weighs 31 gram more !
Read all about it : http://www.modelenginenews.org/ad/ok_diesel.html
Old May 28, 2009, 12:47 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,551 Posts
Gossie,
I havent flown much lately, but will be joining Dalby Club in the next few weeks, nice group of guys and a fantastic new feild with underground irrigation on the nicely grassed runways and great shaded pilot pit area, look them up here :- http://www.dalbymodelaeroclub.com/events.php , they have an event early june hosting the QLD Vintagents OT competion you may be interested in comeing out for a look at one of the "dark sides" , great weekend , even traveled down from Bundy way when I lived there just to spectate
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old May 28, 2009, 05:53 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,707 Posts
A rare French Ouragan 3,36cc with forward facing exhaust (between the lower two cooling fins), drum valve intake and excentric crankshaft bearing for compression adjustment. It was a powerful engine in its days, made by the Fargeas brothers. This particular example originally belonged to Jean Guillemard, who created many classic French models before and after WWII, such as the DAD, Nyou, Jigé 123, etc...
Old May 28, 2009, 07:08 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
649 Posts
I tend to have different favourites for different reasons at different times.
My current favourites are a pair of Schlossers.

The first picture shows a Schlosser 1.0 RC in a slightly enlarged 48" Madcap.
Starts in few flicks hot or cold (no priming) runs silky smooth at all speeds and even idles really well for ages wihtout oiling up or colling off. Spins an 8x4 at the moment, but sounds like aa team racer on a 7x4.

Second picture is a Schlosser 0.25. Tiny diesels a usually temperamental little so and so's requiring high ether fuels. This one start wonderfully hot of cold, runs just like a much bigger ballrace diesel, all on my standard 30% ether brew.
The little 20" span DH02 (old RCME free plan) flies really well loops, rolls all in a really small space (can't see it if it gets too far away).
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old May 28, 2009, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2005
717 Posts
I have been using a Oliver Jaguar 2.5 cc reproduction diesel from Rustler Engines in the UK since 2001. It flys a full size Playboy Cabin at 80 inch wing span. Building a Lanzo Airborn for this engine right now. Ian Russel runs Rustler Engines rustler@aero.fslife.co.uk and has Oliver Tigers Mk. 1,2 and 3 besides the Jaguar. Also Amco .87 cc Mk. 2, Sparey 5 cc and a number of Merco glow reproductions. Frog 500 glow and ignition. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old May 28, 2009, 12:25 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,970 Posts
JMP_blackfoot , thanks for sharing your experiences with your Darts. This confirms that I did right, not hasting with assembly. I will take this info into consideration before I do anything about mine....

Here is an odd little beast.....a Czech made "Junior" 2cc.
So far I don't know too much about it, and I have yet to start it and investigate its performance.....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; May 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 07:14 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Nice pictures, more please.

Great engines and pictures.
Having just one picture and not being able to see “the other side” or the back is all a bit of a tease.

How about more close up shots?
What are engine details, ie) size in cuin or cc. Props and rpm?

Snorks, a very powerful but unforgiving engine….prop and rpm….did it bite you.

TLyttle, more pictures and info on the Mills … Burford/Ivor F's,
Oliver 2.5, The “King” , Oliver Tiger Major R/C ; and the 1.5 Sesquis.

JMP blackfoot, great info on the OK Cubs. Thanks for posting the modelenginenews link, a really good read.

Gluehand, those engines desire a better picture, at least one for each, Dart, Merlin, Spitfire, Sabre, and Rapier.

And to everyone else, keep the pictures coming ,and more info if possible. They all look great.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 28, 2009, 09:05 PM
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboatflyingshp
Ive one of these a Russian made MK17... fantastic little howler of a motor easy to start and reputedly runs well on a carb. Also 2 PAW 2.49s and 2 head conversions for 40 size OS fp/FSR motors.
I tried fitting one of my enya .09 carbs on the mk17 but it was too large a shank in diameter. Not really enough meat left if I reduce it on the lathe either. It just occured to me perhaps a norvel .049-061 carb might do it. I had never heard before that the mk 17 did well on a carb before but wanted to try it.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson