HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:21 AM
Bill Mohrbacher, MECA Fox Guy
Beaver Falls, PA
Joined Dec 2006
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Brian, if you believe that Mike Clanford's engine book is Gospel, then you probably also believe in the tooth fairy and belong to the Flat Earth Society. Here is just one of his mistakes - the company that took Gordon Burford to court was not Davies-Charlton (with regard to their 1.49cc Sabre Diesel) as Clanford states, but North American Aviation (with regard to their F-86 Sabre jet fighter).
All while Johnny Brodbeck of K&B was quite quiet!
G WILLIE is offline Find More Posts by G WILLIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,052 Posts
Quote:
- the company that took Gordon Burford to court was not Davies-Charlton (with regard to their 1.49cc Sabre Diesel) as Clanford states, but North American Aviation (with regard to their F-86 Sabre jet fighter).
Actually it was CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation) who took Gordon to court but obviously pressured to do so by NAA seeing CAC were building Australia's version of the Sabre. I've always wondered if they thought some country might order 50 Sabres for their air force only to find 50 model engines turning up in a box .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Real engines have gotta beat documentation

Bob,
This will be my last post on this Frog 50 nonsense, so I’ll voluntarily leave the last word to you...
Firstly, your remark about my considering Mike’s book to be « gospel » is totally unjustified and, for me, just an easy « clever » remark... Mike knows that his book contains errors, but so do many of the references that you quote.
I just think that Mike is dead right concerning the various Frog 50s, and that’s exactly what I wrote.
Mike’s confusion concerning an Australian engine reminds of a some of the « New World » stuff I read about European engines...
So where’s the problem?
Well, the following text is only my opinion, OK!!!
In recent years, a lot of English model engine history has been written in Oz and North America, largely based on documentation and photos, etc.
While a lot of good stuff has been written, and documentation is obviously a good thing, you’re now claiming that something that was insufficiently documented at the time, can’t exist! Which is wrong and unacceptable.

So let’s stop waving articles and engine tests, and get down to real engines...
I hope you’ll see from the attached photographs that the differences between the Mk II and the Mk III are considerable (the Mk III crankcase is a lot bigger and there are obvious important internal differences).
I’ve shown the engine that you and myself agree is a Mk II (as stated by PGFC in your scan).
Now, have a look at the Mk III. Those differences can’t be considered « minor ». It isn’t « just another Mk II »!
The Mk III doesn’t fit the same bolt holes or bearer spacing. The crankcase is 1.5mm wider (not counting the strap) or 2mm wider (with the strap).
I also opened the MK III, to confirm my opinion that the strap was to accommodate big-end movement, and not just a strengthening of the earlier case. This was confirmed, which must mean that there are significant differences in the piston/cylinder/conrod setup.
Have you ever seen all these differences documented anywhere? I never have, and they’re considerable.
My opinion is that this engine wasn’t documented at the time which, if you’re trying to establish engine knowledge and history from documentation... is a problem.
Finally, as I wrote at the outset, we have a terminology problem. Old English aeromodellers have always considered this engine to be a Mk III (it really is very different). OK, it wasn’t documented, but if you still think that such differences can be called « just another Mk II », then I give up...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
(Quote) "Bob, This will be my last post on this Frog 50 nonsense, so I’ll voluntarily leave the last word to you..."

Brian, thank you for the photo's because they confirm that you have been in error. What you have there is a Mk. I and a Mk. II, simple as that. The Mk. I (if it did come out the factory door like that) is probably a transitional engine, where they ran out of the shorter tanks. More likely is that someone during the last 50 years has retro-fitted it to get a longer engine run. You show a photo (top left) where you state that it is "The mutually agreed Mk. II" - I do not agree with that, as it is simply a Mk. I with a long tank fitted. Here's the clincher though - underneath that same photo, you state "This is precisely the engine that PGFC presents as the Mk II, in Twin-Stack's scanned article." Wrong ! If you look very closely at the photo's in Chinn's article and the FROG catalogue, you can actually SEE the ridges formed by the reinforcing "strap", both above and below the mounting lugs. This strap, according to you was only found on "the non-existent Mk. III" but in actual fact, there it is in both my photo's, with both labelled as Mk. II. Case closed.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
RGU from eBay Germany
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
RGU from eBay Germany
The RGU Universal of 2,47cc was made by Friedrich Schmidt in München in 1956, also available as an assembly-kit. But this engine has been damaged I guess and then repaired with selfmade mounting plates. Not original in any case.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:12 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
The Sabre debacle (Courtesy of John Goodall and Model Engine World).....
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:24 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,850 Posts
The "Gasket-O-Matic" goes metal.... :)

Today I tried to cut a copper gasket in the "device" shown in #4189

After annealing the 0.3 mm sheet (also securing it with 2 screws), all worked just great...!!...

However, as this is a "free-hand" method, good lighting/eyes/patience is required to measure, pre-mark and cut with precision, i.e. this method woudn't be too well suited for mass production.
For one-offs it's great though, as the investments are minimal....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 30, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:08 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,850 Posts
Quote:
And from the same Swedish site, the rare 1955 Aquila Baby gear-reduction marine (with a slight mix-up with an Enya 19 Model 4002).......
Announcing: This was happily (and surprisingly) won by me...
Initially, I made the sensible decision not to bid at all, but close to the end I simply couldn't resist...

LINK

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:28 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
480 Posts
For RUG look also here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3151

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
brokenenglish

I really feel it is sad that he has left RCG, he did make very nice contributions.
Let's hope he will return. I do.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Nov 06, 2012, 02:50 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I really feel it is sad that he has left RCG, he did make very nice contributions.
Let's hope he will return. I do.
I dont think he posted that he was leaving RCG ,just not posting on the Frog 50 anymore. AFAIK.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:43 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,052 Posts
Unfortunately Bob has closed his RCG account. Hopefully we can welcome him back later but if not he'll be sorely missed because of his fantastic contributions. It's mainly because of Bob that I've been able to gather hundreds of model engine test reports in one place.
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Unfortunately Bob has closed his RCG account. Hopefully we can welcome him back later but if not he'll be sorely missed because of his fantastic contributions. It's mainly because of Bob that I've been able to gather hundreds of model engine test reports in one place.
Excuse my puzzlement, but who is Bob? brokenenglish is called Brian and I only read his post as saying it was his last word on the Frog 50 argument???
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:45 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Gentlemen,
Thanks for your concern. I certainly didn't intend to "disappear". Olmod's interpretation, above, is perfectly correct.
Bob regularly goes walkabout. He'll be back.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member