HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:47 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,639 Posts
It is an AE 1.5 cc, part of a series of motors of identical layout produced by Allen-Mercury engine designed Den Allen. There were 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5 versions. I had all six at one time but when I stopped flying IC models sold all except the 0.5. Nice engines, although the 0.1 was a"bit tricky!"
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:08 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
The cleaning goes on

Hi,
Here is a colourful trio....DC Merlin, Spitfire and Sabre.

The Spitfire and Sabre are "new" and never run, with exception of the "factory test run", mentioned in the leaflets...
I can confirm that they really ARE test run, as both were quite gunky, and of course dead stuck...!...they were in fact very hard to loosen up and get liberated from the "factory gunk"....

The Merlin is a wonderful runner, with not too much runtime....however, it did some service in a "Mini-Eros", many years ago (with an extended comp.lever), and has since been living in a plastic bag...obviously it was dead stuck as well....

The one thing separating the Spitfire from the Sabre, is the bore dia....oh, and of course the colour of the cylinder jacket....

I always remove those ugly spring starters....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:08 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Gluehand, nice pictures. I might have a Sabre (nib) too. Not exactly sure where I have it stashed! I have the DC blue and green (muffins) 2.5's. It took a long time soaking/coaxing to free up the muffin to un screw it. There are threads both inside/outside that are rather fine.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
Newbee
Mornington Vic
Joined Mar 2010
163 Posts
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
It is an AE 1.5 cc, part of a series of motors of identical layout produced by Allen-Mercury engine designed Den Allen. There were 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5 versions. I had all six at one time but when I stopped flying IC models sold all except the 0.5. Nice engines, although the 0.1 was a"bit tricky!"
Thanks for that, I'll have to have a peek inside and see which size it is.
BB
kakariki is online now Find More Posts by kakariki
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
In good company with hen's teeth & rocking horse droppings.....

....this one turns up, at an auction site....
A Swedish KOMET Mk I....an incomplete and sad example though, but still...
Bidding...?...nope, as it will indeed be pricy, and at present I've got enough of "projects" anyway...

Although very rare indeed, I beleive the Mk II is even rarer (!) though, as probably a lower number of these were produced, before the Johansson Brothers were outrun by the huge import, heavily accelerating in the early 50's....

Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
KOMET diesel.

Hi Gluehand,
Can you please tell me what auction site the "Komet" diesel is on?
Regards.
Frog 50 is offline Find More Posts by Frog 50
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Hi Frog 50,

HERE it is.

And, HERE you can browse the entire "model aero engine" cathegory...

The Swedish "Tradera"-site is, somehow, connected to E-bay, although you may have to register there, separately....

Here is photo of a complete Komet Mk I

Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
Hello diesel fan modellers: This is a tough challenge and I need as much help as possible: I'm buying a couple of Mills replicas but in my beloved country, Colombia, for reasons that I rather not mention, ether is completely banned. And as if this was not enough, I fly 2.650 meters above sea level!!! (8.700 feet) Can a diesel operate with a fuel using no ether at all? I suppose I'm not the only modeller in this beautiful planet confronting this problem. Naturally, no amyl nitrate is available, they don't even know the substance!!! As said before, a tough one, you chemists out there can help me, perhaps............
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
Some 30 years ago I used a DC Dart (I still have it, shelved) using imported fuel. It worked beautifully despite altitude. I did had to remove the contrapiston rotating stop because I had to increase compression due to our elevation. Nowadays, imported diesel fuel is a no-no because it has ether.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Can a diesel operate with a fuel using no ether at all?
The only compression ignition engine that I know about, working without ether, is the weird & wonderful 18 cc LOHMANN bicycle engine of early 50's....
Just kerosene and oil was used.
Although, getting it running required some sweaty pedal work...

Isn't it a great machine...?....compression adjustment from the handle bar...

I want one...!
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,540 Posts
Eduardo, you may get some wierd and wonderful technical answers. I'm not a chemist but I've been running diesels since 1950.
In terms of practical diesel operation, I think you can forget any possibility of running without ether. It's a nice fantasy that gets discussed from time to time, but no-one has come up with a solution in the last 60-odd years, so I prefer not to waste time dreaming.
In Europe, ether has been banned from public sale but is used industrially so, if you are sufficiently motivated, it's possible to obtain it. In the UK and USA, there are also excellent commercial diesel fuels available. I think your only hope is to use "tractor starting fluid" (e.g. John Deere), or one of the various vehicle engine starting aerosols (both of these are almost pure ether), or try to identify an industry that uses ether, in Colombia, and then either contact them directly. Here, I've even considered forming a company with a fictitious activity that would allow me to obtain ether legally (this reasoning is based on European regulations of course...).
There may be other possibilities, for example a Mills will start, but not run consistently, on WD40. Also, the ultimate answer may be temperature dependent. I know from my own experience that it's possible to run engines on a very low ether content fuel, in very high ambient temperatures, say above 30 or 35°C. Normally, this phenomenon passes unnoticed because the compression setting is simply reduced to compensate the fact that less heating of the mixture is required.
Anyway, I think your first action in Colombia should be to try to find an agricultural/tractor supplies outlet...
If you do find one, you should have a look at the attached document, which I lifted from the Web a few years ago. It describes the technique for extracting ether from aerosols.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:25 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Yes, model diesel fuel is becoming almost impossible to get.
John Deer starting fluid is about all that is left.

I checked out an earlier suggestion and I received the following from

aerodyneal aerodyneal@aol.com

“John,
I am in the middle of moving to Arizona but I will check with U.P.S. about the cost. I can't ship to any countries other than Canada and Mexico because it has to go ground only.
I will get back to you on the cost as soon as I can.
Allen”.

Just about everything that is a potential hazard can no longer be shipped by air, ie) model dope, paints, cyano, expoxy, fuel, LiPo batteries.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:26 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
Hello "brokenEnglish" First of all thank you for your excellent coverage on the subject. Yes, I have also heard many fantasies concerning ether less diesel fuels. I even recently read about a chap who used gasoline instead of ether!!! So, as you say, let's forget about this possibility. I will try to contact tractor and agricultural supplies stores to see what I can do. Also, perhaps hospitals. When I was young and my hair was black, I heard that physicians used ether as an anaesthetics. I don't know if they still use it.. You did not say anything concerning our high elevation or the fact that amyl nitrate is not available. Any comments??
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
62 Posts
[QUOTE= the fact that amyl nitrate is not available. Any comments??[/QUOTE]

Eduardo, Amyl nitrate is no longer available here either, but other nitrates can replace them. For example Iso Propyl Nitrate or you could get something known here as DII (diesel ignition improver) from Henry Nelson in the USA. I believe that was Hexyl Nitrate. Perhaps someone here would have contact details for Henry or Eric Clutton (Dr Diesel), both of whom I believe are in the USA and may be able to supply fuel additives and probably helpful suggestions too.
Charlie
2gun is offline Find More Posts by 2gun
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:31 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Standard car starting fluid, from any auto shop if you can find it, decanted (sprayed) into a container and mixed with lamp oil and castor worked just fine for my DC Merlin and PAW 1.49.
The same starter fluid / spray is used by farmers, sometimes plant operators and diesel locomotive operators to coax big diesels into life, usually on cold days.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59