HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:02 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,899 Posts
Quote:
harrisdouma; I have a blue diesel conversion head for a cox .049 It was made by a company
in California. The black rubber o-ring is missing.. But I think could be picked
up from plumber.
Does anyone know the name of the company that made this. If anyone is
interested I would part with this conversion head
Davis Diesel Development makes the diesel heads. You can get parts from them. But for the O-ring a good auto parts store probably could match it up OK.
http://davisdieseldevelopment.com/diesel/index.htm
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:02 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,550 Posts
A blue cox diesel head with an o'ring is more likely to be an RJL head
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:00 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Old TR engines never die, they just become ideal sport engines! Even a "retired" TR engine will really haul the mail for the average stunter. I built a biplane from a magazine plan years ago, supposed to have a 35 in it: I reduced the weight (typical c/l design), put my ETA in it, flew it on 52' lines, and it just sparkled. Another guy showed up at the field, model built per plan, 35 duly installed. After seeing mine fly, he told me he was going to take his model home and stomp on it.....
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:49 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
harrisdouma , Need parts for the Cox .049 with diesel head, try the
updated website at www.davisdieseldevelopment.com
A regular black rubber o ring may not last very long at temperature.

faif2d, how about a few pictures of your nib version? Got any paper work with it?

TLyttle , I flew my ETA .15D (9x4 prop) in a junior Ring Master, U/C, then switched to a McCoy .19 rear rotary valve, side exhaust, ringed, class A racing engine from the 1950’s. Even though it had a third more displacement, the little Ring Master didn’t seem to have any more power or fly differently. On a slightly larger plane an ED 3.5 (0.21) diesel still fell way behind a McCoy .35. Neither was what I would call a “ball of fire”, but they both were steady runners….nice to keep the lines out and tight.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:14 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I believe that the ED was kinda slow alright. My 2.46s were easy to start, ran reliably at any speed, but the limited RPM meant that coarse pitch props were the order of the day, 8-8s the norm. That engine's T/R days were long gone; couldn't say the same for the ETAs and MVVSs as sport engines. My ST 15D was unhappy on anything other than a 8-8 or 9-6. Torque!! that's what diesels do.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Oct 08, 2009, 03:08 PM
Denton Tx
Joined Apr 2003
59 Posts
Photo is not the best. 3 different ventures and tubing + mounting bolts included.
faif2d is offline Find More Posts by faif2d
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:12 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
faif2d , thanks for the picture. Picture is fine. How about a top , front, rear, side view, and the paper work showing the inside parts? What's the box look like, has it a picture?
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:56 PM
Denton Tx
Joined Apr 2003
59 Posts
The box is in the photo. The bottom that the engine sets on, black plastic, and to the rear a clear plastic pop on cover. I did not put the top in a more forward position as the top has been cracked and is now held together with scotch tape. The other thread had good photos, probably better than the ones my cheap camera will take. There is a small cross sectional view in the instructions but it is small and I would not be able to take a clear enough photo to do any good. This one was made in 1988.
faif2d is offline Find More Posts by faif2d
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
Get your model diesel airplane engine now

Thanks faif2d .
Perhaps someone else has this engine?
If not, I'll try and get a few more pictures and info.
What are you using for diesel fuel?

To anyone thinking of getting started in "a collection", now might be a good time. It's getting harder to find small engines ( 1, 1.5, 2 cc, etc.), especially diesels.

Having said that, I wanted a new MVVS 2.5 D (.15) R/C. I couldn't find one here in North America, but I did get the engine from the MVVS factory. Talk about service, less than a week to my door. Pictures to come later.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:35 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,874 Posts
John,
Here are some photos of my KMD 2.5 cc (note, what appears as an "A", is a "D" in the cyrillic alphabet).
I have never used this engine, as I have yet to find a way of fitting a silencer without causing damage....I'd like to be able to restore its original look.... However, it appears to be a quality engine, let go a little chunky. With its rear drum induction, I am sure that it will throttle well.
All in all, a convincing twin BB engine, that I hopefully will find some use for, eventually...

The second one, the Super Tigre G15RV, I have used quite a bit....last model was my own, somewhat improvised design, a low wing "cropduster lookalike", about 57" span. Most frequently used prop: 10x4. It starts very easy. When flying, the nice original spinner was replaced with an ordinary prop driver assembly (the "standard" G20/15 prop driver fits)
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Oct 10, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,597 Posts
The MD translates roughly to Model Engine (модельный двигатель) with the stylized д actually being, as gluehand noted, the Cyrillic letter doh, equivalent to the English D.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:11 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
KMD 2.5 and ST diesels, nice pictures

Gluehand, thanks for the pictures, nicely presented. I rather like your choice of background, nice. The KMD 2.5 uses slotted screws. The casting looks strong and robust. Is the black an anodizing, or more likely a powder coat? It looks good. Irving was using a red coating. The “insides” appear to show a flat plate or washer on top of the contra piston? Can you get enough hand torque to change the compression, or is that the “tool” used shown in the picture? It’s difficult to see whether it has a drum or rear rotor inside. All in all, a very nice looking engine. The ST looks great too. Unfortunately I only have the glow with the front intake. Both have nice spinners.

Thanks for the info Andrew820, but is it [KMA is really KMD] KM or MD that translates to… MD translates roughly to Model Engine (модельный двигатель) ?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
<snip> ...... but is it [KMA is really KMD] KM or MD that translates to… MD translates roughly to Model Engine (модельный двигатель) ?

John --

The MD portion (МД) translates to Modelling Engine. I expect the K represents either manufacturer or engine type, but will have to rely on Gluehand for it's translation. Similar Cyrillic characters also appeared on the early model NORVELs (АМД) and were often mistaken for a mis-shaped A or Greek letter delta.

andrew
Andrew0820 is online now Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:42 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820
The MD translates roughly to Model Engine (модельный двигатель) with the stylized д actually being, as gluehand noted, the Cyrillic letter doh, equivalent to the English D.

andrew
Both the instruction manual and the guarantee card read (in our alphabet) :
"Mikrodvigatel", which means "Micro-engine".
That would be the MD part of KMD.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:42 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,325 Posts
Where are the Pfeffer square heads? I have one, but have never run it.

I have a few of the MDS 1.5CC diesels. I managed to get a few seconds of run out of one after breaking a wrist pin and reworking the head so it didn't leak. It needed an exhaust on it in order to run at all. I haven't messed with it in a few years.

I saw the youtube link to my TT F-75S diesel conversion. I just posted another clip of an FS-48 diesel. I hope to post a few more this month.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz