HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,479 Posts
Note: EB seller has 3 auctions going for similar cans!
A cautionary note…“old” ethyl ether if previously exposed to air may have oxidized to form ether peroxides which could be ignited by the friction in opening the twist off metal cap on the can.

Thanks Al for the mention; I’ve sent an email to Aerodyne

http://www.freeflightmodels.com/index.html

asking if they would ship model diesel fuel to Canada. They also carry dope and diesel engines!

Back to RC-throttles- on diesels. Years ago I mounted a Perry carb on my Frog 3.5. I used a small hose section and just forced it over the venture throat on the Frog and pressed the carb onto the other hose end. I looked very rough and strange, but it did work.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:36 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Sounds like you need to go take the tunnel across to the UK and pick it up yourself. With it in the trunk of your car, the authorities probably won't care too much. Looks like a good excuse to have a short holiday to me.

Besides the stuff is still good to use, if no one ever opened it.
Would'nt be too sure about going that easily trough checkpoint in England with the shuttle train, last time they went over the car engine with special detection gloves still have'nt figuered out how tht works. No model goods importer still handle diesel fuel for the very few still using them over here, they cannot just order one or two cans for me alone that's a nono. And yes better place no bid because that is going to end up in a lot of hassle besides I do have all ingredients to brew my own
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:41 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Note: EB seller has 3 auctions going for similar cans!
A cautionary noteold ethyl ether if previously exposed to air may have oxidized to form ether peroxides which could be ignited by the friction in opening the twist off metal cap on the can.

Thanks Al for the mention; Ive sent an email to Aerodyne

http://www.freeflightmodels.com/index.html

asking if they would ship model diesel fuel to Canada. They also carry dope and diesel engines!

Back to RC-throttles- on diesels. Years ago I mounted a Perry carb on my Frog 3.5. I used a small hose section and just forced it over the venture throat on the Frog and pressed the carb onto the other hose end. I looked very rough and strange, but it did work.
Yes it has been mentionned here before about the danger of re-opening an old cannister, I did have a talk about this with one of our club members who was chief chemical engineer at Bell Telephone Co. in Antwerp
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,850 Posts
Mission Impossible...

In the 'meantime', just to keep us alert, let's wrinkle our brains, trying to find a way to finish this engine...
(I know, it has been posted before...)

Read HERE what 'modelenginenews' wrote...

Some engines you purchase for use....
Some engines you purchase to admire....
Some engines you purchase 'cause they puzzle you to death....and so does this one, in several ways...

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 10, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:50 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
Hi ya Gluehand..
Does that engine use an off set main journal bush to tweek the compression?

I had to study for the sim event last night but I snuck out to the shop early this morning and found a small piece of 6061 bar and started Jenas spinner.. Couldn't work long but it's a start.. Wish I could help you guys on the fuel but we get no discount on hazmat shipments.
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:53 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
Hide it in "plane sight" Reginald.. Take some model aircraft and tool kit along with sitting on the rear seat of the car. :-)
Just a thought..
Al
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
John, neat post about using the rubber tube for the carb.. I'm going to try putting an OS Max .10 carby I have on my Russian Mk17. Wonderful little engines and dirt cheap, I just got another. Think I'll make a new back plate so's not to ruin the factory set up, I love the little tiny banjo fitting !! Last year when I was running it in I was screwing around with the eraser end of a pencil as a crude choke and it was amazing, an incredibly good idle with just that..
We'll see
Al
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:30 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson727 View Post
Hi ya Gluehand and all..
YEEEHAAA !!!! Jena's comin' home !!! Finally got one !! A year to wait for an engine? Worth it.. made it more fun, let's hope for the best on the internals but even if it's loose I can fix it.
I'm going out to the shop and chuck up a piece of 6061 T-6 in the lathe to make the spinner.. pics when it's done. BTW Gluehand, any idea what the thread is on the shaft?

If you have a spare Webra nva Reginald tell me what I owe, it would save a lot of time.

Thanks guys..

Al
If I have something fitting it's free but what model needle and what about dimensions of that Jena the only Jena I've got is the U-boat
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:23 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Hi ya Gluehand..
Does that engine use an off set main journal bush to tweek the compression?
Yes it does..!...the movement is very small though...about 0.4 mm up/down.
That equals, say, up to a 180 turn on a 'normal' sized comp.screw, which indicates that it is just meant for fine adjustments - not continously 'fiddling'...
There's a lock screw for the bush at the bottom of the front c/case. To adjust, you rotate the 'shiny' part just rear of the prop driver, then tighten the lock screw....

I prefer to see it as a fixed compression diesel, where some tweaking is allowed for...

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:42 AM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
231 Posts
I have been going through boxes of old photographs and negatives and came across this rather poor quality one that I thought might be of interest.
Name: crop0009.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 178.8 KB
Description:
As you can see it started life as an ED Bee which was modified to take a drive from the rear of the crankshaft and through a couple of 90degree gears to run a second prop drive.
The twin drive unit was built by a brilliant engineer and modeller Tony Young of the West London, Brentford and Chiswick MFC. He built the unit to power a 60 inch free flight Douglas DC3 shown in the second photo.
Name: crop0010.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 183.0 KB
Description:
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:45 AM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
If I have something fitting it's free but what model needle and what about dimensions of that Jena the only Jena I've got is the U-boat
Hi Reginald,
Look here for Gluehands pics of the Jena and Webra nva. I think he said a Webra 1.5 nva was about the same.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...54975&page=266
You can email off list here: arobins1@comcast.net but I don't want to be a bother, only if it's convienent and no freebies.. I insist to pay or at least trade something you need or that's fun.

Off to see the wizard.. one more day in the "stimulator" ... what fun. CYYZ to KEWR (Pearson to Newark) Fire, flames, engine and flight control failures, what fun.

More in a bit
Al
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
114 Posts
Hi Ya Gluehand,
I kinda figured that's what the lock screw was for.. So small compression ratio tweeks with the crank bush, I assume changing the load with different dia. and pitch prop would help to.. So who built it, any idea?
Pic below is Cekoadon and my daughter Katie. About 3 sec. later, right after this pic, it broke the con rod up by the little end on the PAW.. Go figure.. It was running undercompressed and fat, (like always) so I have no idea why and I have never damaged a diesel.. Out of the 3 PAW 55 BR RC's we got at about the same time, this one was the runt of the littler. Hard starting, excessive end play in the crank and about 6-800 rpm lower top end.. Ed Carlson is sending me a conrod but I think it might should go back to PAW for a look see. if I can't find something obvious.
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Yes it does..!...the movement is very small though...about 0.4 mm up/down.
That equals, say, up to a 180 turn on a 'normal' sized comp.screw, which indicates that it is just meant for fine adjustments - not continously 'fiddling'...
There's a lock screw for the bush at the bottom of the front c/case. To adjust, you rotate the 'shiny' part just rear of the prop driver, then tighten the lock screw....

I prefer to see it as a fixed compression diesel, where some tweaking is allowed for...

Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
My view over the back fence..
Australia, NSW, Moree
Joined Sep 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
I have been going through boxes of old photographs and negatives and came across this rather poor quality one that I thought might be of interest.

As you can see it started life as an ED Bee which was modified to take a drive from the rear of the crankshaft and through a couple of 90degree gears to run a second prop drive.
The twin drive unit was built by a brilliant engineer and modeller Tony Young of the West London, Brentford and Chiswick MFC. He built the unit to power a 60 inch free flight Douglas DC3 shown in the second photo.
Wow what a great idea. And looks well executed too.

Perfect for free flight, both props turn at the same revs no matter what, and counter rotating to boot.

That would have been weird flicking the prop over and seeing the other one bouncing around in unison, but backwards.
Aussie Steve is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Steve
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Out of the 3 PAW 55 BR RC's we got at about the same time, this one was the runt of the littler. Hard starting, excessive end play in the crank and about 6-800 rpm lower top end.. Ed Carlson is sending me a conrod but I think it might should go back to PAW for a look see. if I can't find something obvious.
Al
Al, this is just to say that, over the last 50-odd years, PAW have a reputation of being very good if ever you have a problem.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:45 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Attachment 5147716
Attachment 5147718
I believe Clarence Lee was the first to make this concept this is my Lee Sidewinder