SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:21 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Hi John,
I had a Speed 40 FR RE when I lived in Turkey..What an amazing engine.. RFI caused some hi speed landscaping but I still have most of it.. The case was sand cast and fragile, I have never torn up an engine that badly before or since.. The slide carb is beautiful and worked great. I felt bad about that one.. I think what I want is an older Webra diesel w/ RC carby, roller bottom end..
Ideas?
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Al, if you want an engine to fly with, rather than go with old, perhaps consider new. See back a few pages for the Parra 1.5 diesel. It's powerful, uses an Enya carb, can be obtained as either diesel or glow(Nelson plug)....and parts are available. A little smaller, 1 cc is the Schlosser (the best) or the MP Jet, either glow or diesel.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:39 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Hi John,
The Parra looks good, who's the distributor? Price??
MP Jet? Just got (another- one, an .061 diesel r/c, exquisite, what a great running little engine. Primed it.. one flip.. off to the races.. amazing and it actually idles fairly well.. I have 2 other FF MP's in the box.. new and un run but the workmanship is top notch.
The Schlossers are works of art.. maybe someday I can find one but it's not something you would fly, way to nice to take a chance.
Thanks for the info, more in a bit.
Al
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:48 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson727 View Post
Hi Reginald..
If the Jena shows up I'll send an email w/ venturi OD.. If a Webra nva would fit that would be fine.. This ones a runner.. she's going flying..
Speaking of Webra's, whats a good one to look for ? Small bore 1- 2cc.. Any with R/C throttle? Ideas?
Thank you
Al
That's OK
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:06 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,540 Posts
Al, these throttled diesels questions are really down to everyone's personal likes and opinions...
I own and use quite a few throttled diesels, including 4 Olivers and 4 PAWs. All these work very well indeed. In my view, if you just want a nice throttled diesel to use, there's no need to look further than the appropriate PAW, I have a 1cc, a 1.5cc and two .19s, and they're all really good. They've always given super service (the engines and the company!) and, of course, in the States you have Eric Clutton to sort out any problems.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:49 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Speaking of Webra's, whats a good one to look for ? Small bore 1- 2cc.. Any with R/C throttle? Ideas?
My personal 'favourite' Webra is the 1.5 cc Rekord. See the lineup below. The 1960's version was available with RC-throttle. Following photos show the 2.5 cc "Winner" with this throttle. ("Winner" would also be an excellent choice)...
Also shown: A "Rekord" crankcase with the integrated throttle arrangement.
BTW, my first diesel ever (I think 1958) was the "54-59"-model seen below...
Great engines....

Throttled or non-throttled diesel-flying is of course a matter of taste....personally I tend to move towards more non-throttled flying, due to its simplicity. Just fit the engine, a small tin tank and a fuel line, and off you go.......all is easily removed for cleaning, there's a great choice of engines to try out, and there are lots of tricks to be done in the air even at constant rpms.... And most flights end with a thermal hunt... The ultimate vintage flying....

-------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Gluehand,
I saw your Smog Hog on the same thread as the Taplin Twin ... Nice.. You still flying it? MVVS 40?I bet it's pretty zippy.
At occations I regret it, but some time ago I sold the Smog Hog...!...in order to save space, physically & mentally (allowing myself to get into new projects...). Also, a small basement & a small car helped a lot in doing this decision....
The Smoggie was a great flyer. I added some wingtip washout, (not really neccesary), which made turns super smooth as well as slow landings...
Although the MVVS is a quite a powerful .40, I never felt it overpowered...lively & good penetration, yes, but not overly so...mind, the Smog Hog is fairly large (74" span) and the airfoil is thick. Weight was 5.9 lbs, including some lead in the nose...
The actual MVVS .40 was purchased as a C/L engine, to which I added a Super Tigre carb & silencer...a chunky engine, looking like a .60....a nice one, with a Dykes ring....I always ran it on non-nitrated fuel...

.................................................. ............................................
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 09, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:50 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,532 Posts
Ether- model diesel fuel in the mail???

Yes, PAW is also a good choice....forgot to mention them.

Interesting item on EB
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MODEL-TECHNIC...item3f1c27fee4

I think the seller thinks he is going to put this in the mail!!!!!

Interesting, at least to me, as I can find no one who will mail me diesel fuel.

John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:14 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Hi Ya John-n-all.
We use Aerodyne fuel and they can ship it to you easly enough.. Actually, all you need is an Amyl Nitrate source, the rest is available locally, John Deere for the either .. My flight surgeon is a pal and helped me find the amyl and either but as little as we use, Aerodyne is easier.
PAW's? Love 'em .. we have 2 of the 55 BR RC's, a 29 and a 60 but until the MP Jet .061 showed up last week, the 55's were my favorite.. BTW, we had 3 until we lost the best of the 55's in an Ebeneezer of all things a few years ago.. that really was bad..
The MVVS 2.5 diesel RC we have is a great runner and will probably go in the Super Slicker this winter.. Because of the small field we have to fly, everything gas or diesel has to be RC assist but that works out ok..

I think if the Webra Rekord is 1.5 cc that's the choice and it's got tons of character..
Somebody mentioned there first diesel? Mine was a DC Dart.. got it when I was 13 or so and first flew it in a Cal Smith Design called Blunderbuss.. What fun, you could set it way undercompressed and it would just float around at low altitude in a circle popping away merrily, it was a lot of fun but diesels are a little hard to learn on your own.. My Dad was a modeller to but was taken in a C-46 accident in '65 before he could see any of my stuff fly.. He was a diesel nut, I think that's where it came from :-)
FWIW.. I built another Blunderbuss eons ago for PAW 55 but never flew it.. I guess I should..

More in a bit, let me check on the Jena bid, I just got back from Recurrent ground school at Fedex.

Al
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
At Fedex.. undeclared hazmat or ORM's are a huge fear.. A fire in flight, particularly over water is about my only concern.. LiPo batter's have come unde rmuch closer scrutiny so that's a good thing but I hope this guy doesn't mail it.. He could be putting a pilot at risk somewhere..
Bid on the Jena is rockin' along.. i hope it get's a new home here.. :-) The karma is good with you guys helping out.. thank you.
Al
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Hi ya Gluehand and all..
YEEEHAAA !!!! Jena's comin' home !!! Finally got one !! A year to wait for an engine? Worth it.. made it more fun, let's hope for the best on the internals but even if it's loose I can fix it.
I'm going out to the shop and chuck up a piece of 6061 T-6 in the lathe to make the spinner.. pics when it's done. BTW Gluehand, any idea what the thread is on the shaft?

If you have a spare Webra nva Reginald tell me what I owe, it would save a lot of time.

Thanks guys..

Al
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:34 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Congrats Al...!! ...finally you got one...!

The shaft thread is a standard, "hardware store" M4 (pitch .7 mm)

Please let us know your progress...!

(Bedtime now, in Gluehand Land...)
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:53 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
120 Posts
Hi Gluehand,
Excellent, that's an easy thread to match. Can't wait to see Bugaboo go with the Jena and I'm looking forward to a longer engine run than the CS Mills currently does.
As soon as Jena shows up we will discuss.. this is so cool.. :-)
BTW.. Did you ever wonder when you bought a used engine of the adventures it could tell you? The people that owned it? Especally the old ones..
Interesting.
Al
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Yes, PAW is also a good choice....forgot to mention them.

Interesting item on EB
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MODEL-TECHNIC...item3f1c27fee4

I think the seller thinks he is going to put this in the mail!!!!!

Interesting, at least to me, as I can find no one who will mail me diesel fuel.

John
I am going to bid on this cannister, wonder how he's going to send it even though it's only across the North sea, that MT fuel is very good stuff and unobtainable here in Belgium due to high transport taxes and the fact that there are probably 20 diesel users left ? We'll see. And maeby this subject can open up a whole new can of pro and contra about the useability of old diesel fuel that will go on for months ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,540 Posts
Reggie, with all the restrictions world-wide, and particularly within Europe, I'm very surprised that someone is offering world-wide shipping of fuel!
Concerning using old diesel fuel. This is a non-issue. It only has to be stored properly and PAW have been giving the correct instructions in their engine leaflets for the last 50 years!
Due to periods of inactivity, I've used diesel fuel that's more than 20 years old on very many occasions, and there's never a problem. It just has to be stored in a properly sealed metal can.
People who think that diesel fuel can't be stored for long periods just aren't storing it properly, that's all...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I am going to bid on this cannister, wonder how he's going to send it even though it's only across the North sea, that MT fuel is very good stuff and unobtainable here in Belgium due to high transport taxes and the fact that there are probably 20 diesel users left ? We'll see. And maeby this subject can open up a whole new can of pro and contra about the useability of old diesel fuel that will go on for months ?
Sounds like you need to go take the tunnel across to the UK and pick it up yourself. With it in the trunk of your car, the authorities probably won't care too much. Looks like a good excuse to have a short holiday to me.

Besides the stuff is still good to use, if no one ever opened it.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter