HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:36 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,775 Posts
[QUOTE=JohnAV8R;22667742
Brian, how about a picture (and specs) of the Slicker?[/QUOTE]

You'll find Brian's build thread for the Slicker at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1658329, although he seems to have ground to a halt progress wise at present - it's not going to be ANOTHER half built model is it Brian!!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:43 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
it's not going to be ANOTHER half built model is it Brian!!!
No, it's not!
I'll try to restart during the coming week.
I thought I'd be safe here on the nice diesel thread... You're supposed to be confined to electrics!
PM coming this evening George!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Gossie, I don't know whether you're aware of it but, respectfully, I don't think that Bee is exactly the way it should be...
The crankcase looks like a 1952-55 case, which should have a plastic tank and the "T" shaped tommy bar. The head is probably an earlier head as well, because the "L" shaped and "T" shaped compression screws have different threads...
Late 51, early 52, ED did release a few hybrid Bees, just to use up parts, but they weren't like yours. If fact they were the opposite, i.e. an early type crankcase with later "add on bits".
To summarise, I think your engine is a mixture of the two shown below. Sorry, they've been posted before, but these two are as they left the factory.
We need to go back over the Comp Specials of a few days ago as well, but I'm too damn busy at the moment...
A Mk I Bee, like the one below, is going in my Slicker, when I get to building the fus.
When I bought this BEE 5 or 6 years ago there were a couple up for grabs, and I felt this particular one felt the best turning it over, BUT I also wanted the alloy tank not the plastic one so we swapped it over and I bought what I wanted. It looked like the one I had as a kid as such.

I appreciate your information on it, as I never knew of a difference in them.
I do build things for the engines I buy though, and mainly want running ones.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson727 View Post
Gluehand..
I finally found a Jena 1.0 cc for the Bugaboo but it's missing the nv and prop spinner.. The larger concern is the piston and cyl.. I don't think the guy knows diesels but you never know.. What could be done if the fit is poor ? (ebay deal)
Been flying a cute little canard with PAW 55 called Cekoadon and I picked up a beautiful MP Jet .061 rc.. What a beautiful little diesel.. it's going in a "Twin Lizzie"
Let me know what you think about the Jena or a bright idea for parts..
Thanks
Al
Hi Al,
Is your Jena similar to the one shown below.....?
(...would be nice to see a photo...)

What makes you suspect that it is in "less good" condition...? Quite often, the situation is far better than you might beleive....
It is hard to judge the condition before you've "free'd" (if it is stuck), cleaned and oiled the engine.
After that procedure, if the engine "plops" in a happy way when flicking the prop, you will most likely have a runner.......first though, connect a fuel line, open the needle and choke the carb with your finger...if liquid is sucked up through the line when turning, it will indicate that all seals are good...of course you'll have to solve the NVA problem first...

Missing NVA: I suppose original ones are "hen's teeth" or worse , but it wouldn't be too hard to find a similar unit that fits nicely...

More details would help a lot...
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 07, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,956 Posts
The Frogs, #3952

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
The Frog "100" with the 6 transfer ports looks like it might have been a little more powerful. Anything size wise for comparison?
John,
These two Frogs are basically the same engine, the "100" beeing a "small-bore" version of the "150". Everything below the cylinders is identical, in the same way as e.g. DC Sabre & Spitfire....

Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
Somewhere I stated that my Indian Mills 75 has a compression screw stop pin like, say, a DC Merlin. That is not the case. I had a senior moment. Fact is I have thought about installing one, but have not done so.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
126 Posts
Hi Gluehand,
Thanks for the reply.. Yep.. one and the same I've been looking for one for over a year for the Bugaboo, I should have bought that one you found for 100 GBP a year ago but no.. so I missed it. Here's the link to the one on eBay.. tell me what you think but it's not nearly tne deal the other one was..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jena-1-0-cc-...item19d50c1f29

Thanks again
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,956 Posts
Hi Al,

Well, we all make our personal judgements, but I don't think it looks too bad...

To me the "scratches" on the fins look fairly gentle....not like those ugly plier marks, often seen....these look more like "normal wear"....I know photos can mislead though, but that's how I feel about it....

"Medium compression" could mean just anything...this is the "gambling" part of such a purchase..
However, if there really IS a "medium" compression as per definition, and the engine "plops" nicely, you've got a runner, even though it may or may not deliver peak performance...

Just about any old NVA would fit...and the lack of a spinner nut wouldn't ruin the charm at all....

As I see it - and that's my personal opinion - those minor scratches & other signs of use of an old engine, that may have felt annoying when looking at photos, or at the "shelf", suddenly means much less or even nothing, at the moment the engine gets fitted into a model...in that "environment" it looks just normal....
Deep plier marks and other signs of misuse though....er, that's something else....

Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:43 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Hi Al,

Well, we all make our personal judgements, but I don't think it looks too bad...

To me the "scratches" on the fins look fairly gentle....not like those ugly plier marks, often seen....these look more like "normal wear"....I know photos can mislead though, but that's how I feel about it....

"Medium compression" could mean just anything...this is the "gambling" part of such a purchase..
However, if there really IS a "medium" compression as per definition, and the engine "plops" nicely, you've got a runner, even though it may or may not deliver peak performance...

Just about any old NVA would fit...and the lack of a spinner nut wouldn't ruin the charm at all....

As I see it - and that's my personal opinion - those minor scratches & other signs of use of an old engine, that may have felt annoying when looking at photos, or at the "shelf", suddenly means much less or even nothing, at the moment the engine gets fitted into a model...in that "environment" it looks just normal....
Deep plier marks and other signs of misuse though....er, that's something else....

I agree, when buying an engine for collection I prefer no scratches at all and the original spinner altough I am able to re-anodise these parts, I often wanted to buy one of these Jena's but not for flying so I want one with original needle set, but I guess that one of the older Webra sets might fit well, I may be able so supply one of those.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:02 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
126 Posts
Hi Gluehand,
Thanks for the eval.. pretty much what I thought to.. I can make a spinner and actually tne nva to but an nva for a PAW 100 oughta be close enough.. Do you still have a Jena? Could you put a dial caliper or a mike on the base of your Jena spinner and tell me the OD and perhaps the LOA? I can "wing it" but it would be nice if it was close.. I can take it to A friends shop and anodize it red so it will look right.. not hard..
Ok.. pig in a poke but I'm going for it.. I blew it last year.. shoulda listened to you..
:-) Bugaboo just won't be right w/o the Jena. Speaking of which, it has a bunch of flights on it now, what a great little design.. I had thought of a scale up for MVVS 2.5 diesel I have thats just sitting around but to many projects so little time.. I turned 60 last week.. gettin' old!
Must builds this winter: #1 Twin Lizzie w/ MP Jet 061 diesel.. I've been wanting to do that since I was a kid.. better get 'er done.. #2 "Slicker 50" but I'm not sure if it's for 2.5 or what. I just got the drawings for a Starduster 900.. A stretch, that one might have to wait but I can get the ribs cut out. George Aldrich built me a mint Dooling 29 for one years ago and I never built it..
I'll keep you posted on Jena.
Thanks again,
Al
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
126 Posts
Hi Reginald..
If the Jena shows up I'll send an email w/ venturi OD.. If a Webra nva would fit that would be fine.. This ones a runner.. she's going flying..
Speaking of Webra's, whats a good one to look for ? Small bore 1- 2cc.. Any with R/C throttle? Ideas?
Thank you
Al
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:28 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Al, the 1.8 Webra Speedy R/C is a fantastic little engine, but only came in glow. Perhaps you could make a diesel head, as the glow plug is really a button.
The 1.5 Webra diesel R/C is also very nice, but only about half the power.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,956 Posts
Hi again,

Spinner nut:
Here are all measurements you may need to make a reasonably accurate spinner nut.

The NVA:
This is interesting....Did the Zeizz Company make an almost exact copy of a Webra spraybar...?...or did they buy spraybars from Webra...?....or did someone fit a Webra spraybar to my engine...??
The needle valve itself is NOT Webra, for sure...it looks indeed quite "DDR'ish"...!

Note that the spraybars are NOT 100% similar...but similar enough...a "true" Webra spraybar would fit right away, i.e. a spraybar for Webra Rekord & Winner, 1.5 & 2.5 cc, and maybe more models....

The needle valve shown wouldn't be too difficult to make. (or just fit a Webra needle...but this is quite different in appearance...

Hope this helps a bit along the road....

PS
I "borrowed" the Webra spraybar shown, from an engine of mine...i.e. sorry, unfortunately I cannot part with it...

PPS
Congrats on your 60'th birthday......I had mine about 4 years ago...

Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 08, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:48 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
126 Posts
Gluehand,
I saw your Smog Hog on the same thread as the Taplin Twin ... Nice.. You still flying it?
MVVS 40?I bet it's pretty zippy.
Al
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:04 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
126 Posts
Excellent Gluehand.. I sent the previous on your Smog Hog before I saw your response on Jena.. BTW.. Nice work, way more than I expected, thank you for taking the time for me and maybe Reginald has a bead on the Webra nva parts you mentioned, maybe I could buy it from him.. (no worries on your parts, I understand) but in any event..I can build what I need now.
I upped the bid on the Jena but I will be in reccurrent ground school tomorrow when the bid goes but I will take the iPad just in case, the sim instructor will just have to get over it.. :-)
Thanks again !
Al