Excellent compression, smooth bearings.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
It's not really a prize collection piece, but if you'd like to use a nice, fairly powerful, diesel for flying then, as GH says, it would be an excellent choice. Excellent quality too.
Easily worth a tenner if you have a flying application for a quality diesel of this size...

That's it, the deal is done. Sold for a tenner.

I'm dead chuffed.

Possibly make a power-pod for a 2m glider.
bogbeagle is offline Find More Posts by bogbeagle
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:11 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Does this look like everyone's TT?
John, this is an original Mk III. A quick photo of one of my "using" engines.
Yours looks like the crankcase is painted black. Is that correct?
Very handsome!
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:29 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
Quote:
Taplin Twin diesel engines, MK III, 8 cc red head
Looking great, John & Derek..!...congrats...!...and thanks for all your great photos...!...and the parcels (!) were absolutely wonderful...
I figure we could expect a test report or two eventually....
I notice the taller comp.screws....or are they just "unscrewed"...?

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 06, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:48 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,035 Posts
Today: A visit at the "Project's Department".... :)

A couple of "not-ready-to-runs"....

First a Swedish "KOMET MkII", 2.5 cc, made by the H&B Johansson Co, early 50's.
As these are "hen's teeth" even here, I am happy to have come across an example, even though it is not quite "mint"...
It needs some "general tidying" + a new comp.screw.....

Second, is a "FROG 250" of about the same age. One lug is open though, and the carb needle is missing. Also, one cylinder screw thread is "questionable", something that has to be sorted somehow, to make the engine in running condition....

Anyway....now they're clean.....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 06, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
The Komet. Very nice. A clean, elegant design.

Will run the 2012 TT this week-end, weather permitting,
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:23 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Yes, the TT has a black coating, probably some kind of thick paint. It covers up the lettering on the front.

No serial number, or made in England logo on this one (mine).

The Komet has a nice feature, 3 oil holes, on the rod bottom. Don't see any on the Frog. How does the internal cylinder porting compare? both very nice diesels. Amazing what a good cleaning will do, they look great!
John
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: mine
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
530 Posts
Any of you planning to strip the red head? I meant the TT, and examine the internals with regard to quality of manufacture etc?
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
I removed the backplate on mine. All clean inside, with a coating of light machine oil. Rear conrod and pin look a nice fit. Big end is bronze bushed as per original Taplin manufacture.

I will run it without further tear down.

While the engine as delivered has a little "workshop" dust and fluff on the exterior, mine appears clean where it counts. Compression and bearings seem good.

Very minor issue. I have had to "space" the spring which retains the throttle stop screw. It is too short (or rather, the screw is too long!). I also increased the tension on the idle air bleed screw spring. In my experience the air bleed needs to be set backed out almost all the way to assure clean pick up from idle with the TT.

I also cleared some of the black engine enamel away from the air bleed hole with a pin. The thickness of the paint partially obstructed it when compared to the air bleed hole in my "English" example's carburettor (same as shown by BrokenEnglish in pst # 3963).

My "English" TT on the stand, showing throttle response:

Taplin Twin Mk. III .49 c.i. (8 c.c.) diesel (3) (1 min 33 sec)
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:25 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
I removed the backplate on mine. All clean inside, with a coating of light machine oil. Rear conrod and pin look a nice fit. Big end is bronze bushed as per original Taplin manufacture.

I will run it without further tear down.

While the engine as delivered has a little "workshop" dust and fluff on the exterior, mine appears clean where it counts. Compression and bearings seem good.

Very minor issue. I have had to "space" the spring which retains the throttle stop screw. It is too short (or rather, the screw is too long!). I also increased the tension on the idle air bleed screw spring. In my experience the air bleed needs to be set backed out almost all the way to assure clean pick up from idle with the TT.

I also cleared some of the black engine enamel away from the air bleed hole with a pin. The thickness of the paint partially obstructed it when compared to the air bleed hole in my "English" example's carburettor (same as shown by BrokenEnglish in pst # 3963).

My "English" TT on the stand, showing throttle response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCiU...hannel&list=UL
You can take the cylinders off but that's it, there's no way to take the crankshaft apart, here's a cut-out I did some years ago
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:22 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
ED Bee Mk1.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:48 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie View Post
ED Bee Mk1.
Gossie, I don't know whether you're aware of it but, respectfully, I don't think that Bee is exactly the way it should be...
The crankcase looks like a 1952-55 case, which should have a plastic tank and the "T" shaped tommy bar. The head is probably an earlier head as well, because the "L" shaped and "T" shaped compression screws have different threads...
Late 51, early 52, ED did release a few hybrid Bees, just to use up parts, but they weren't like yours. If fact they were the opposite, i.e. an early type crankcase with later "add on bits".
To summarise, I think your engine is a mixture of the two shown below. Sorry, they've been posted before, but these two are as they left the factory.
We need to go back over the Comp Specials of a few days ago as well, but I'm too damn busy at the moment...
A Mk I Bee, like the one below, is going in my Slicker, when I get to building the fus.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Fiery, thanks for the TT video. I’m impressed with the throttle response and just how nicely you have the diesel running. What size prop were you using in the video? Glad you were able to check out the “insides”. I’ll just hope my TT is similar.

Reginald, thanks for the heads up on the TT. All the more reason for “me” to leave well enough alone.

Brian, how about a picture (and specs) of the Slicker?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
129 Posts
Gluehand..
I finally found a Jena 1.0 cc for the Bugaboo but it's missing the nv and prop spinner.. The larger concern is the piston and cyl.. I don't think the guy knows diesels but you never know.. What could be done if the fit is poor ? (ebay deal)
Been flying a cute little canard with PAW 55 called Cekoadon and I picked up a beautiful MP Jet .061 rc.. What a beautiful little diesel.. it's going in a "Twin Lizzie"
Let me know what you think about the Jena or a bright idea for parts..
Thanks
Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727