1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
One of the fuel mixes for the glow Le Delmo 49
shown on the above -
gas 70%
oil 20%
ether 10%

I tried a little ether (in the glow fuel) once in a Fox. It ran, but very hot and with a crackling/sizzling sound.
John, sounds dangerous to me... Keep posting frequently, so that we know you're still with us!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:10 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog 50 View Post
Hi,
I have a Delmo 5cc rear-disc induction diesel( bottom of page 52 in the French engine book).
I was wondering if you-or any-one else that reads this message-could post a photo showing details of the carb intake-mine has a few bits missing-like the swivelling choke arrangement. Also there is a horizontal hole(at right -angles to the needle and fuel holes) which goes right through the main body, which I cannot figure-out.
A photo shot from the rear of the engine would be of great assistance so my (our) superb engine restorer can get my engine back to its former glory.
Thanks.
Here some pics of the one from my collection
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:17 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,711 Posts
Reggie,
Coincidence. This is the better known Delmo 2.65. I stupidly let mine go years ago, but last week there was one on sale in France, which I grabbed, and I'm waiting for it to arrive right now. It was posted yesterday may arrive within the next hour, or maybe tomorrow... I'll post photos as soon as I get it running!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:34 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Reggie,
Coincidence. This is the better known Delmo 2.65. I stupidly let mine go years ago, but last week there was one on sale in France, which I grabbed, and I'm waiting for it to arrive right now. It was posted yesterday may arrive within the next hour, or maybe tomorrow... I'll post photos as soon as I get it running!
I realised afterwards that this is not the engine questionned about, it was early in the morning when I took the pics..... still somewhat dizzy of the French rosé wine I had with my best friend the evening before......
Old Aug 22, 2012, 09:21 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I realised afterwards that this is not the engine questionned about, it was early in the morning when I took the pics..... still somewhat dizzy of the French rosé wine I had with my best friend the evening before......
Reggie, perhaps I have an unfair advantage... We live like that all the time...
My Delmo 2.65 didn't arrive today, so it should be tomorrow...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:07 PM
My view over the back fence..
Australia, VIC, Kerang East
Joined Sep 2011
85 Posts
OS MAX-D 15 diesel

There is an OS Max-D 15 diesel for sale on Aussie ebay-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWO-RC-PL...b#ht_500wt_949

Comes with an OS Max 111 35 glow to keep it company,

The Max-D 15 diesel was sold around 1960. It had a baffled piston and notched contra piston.
Aussie Steve is offline Find More Posts by Aussie Steve
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
There is an OS Max-D 15 diesel for sale on Aussie ebay-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWO-RC-PL...b#ht_500wt_949

Comes with an OS Max 111 35 glow to keep it company,

The Max-D 15 diesel was sold around 1960. It had a baffled piston and notched contra piston.
I looked at the ad and someone already mentionned the Diesel to the seller. I do have the Max diesel, it is reputed not to be very good, and now rare indeed. I've included pics of an even rarer OS the ED copy they made.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
I received some good news to-day from Rishi.

He says,
“Hello,
Your Taplin Twin Mk3 has been dispatched thru Reg Parcel speed post on 21 Aug 2012.
Kindly ONLY use WOODEN PROPELLORS on your Taplin engine. ”

There are at least a couple of us on this thread getting this diesel. We’ll post pictures.

I think it would be interesting if we had a few pictures of the old factory and the person(s) who made up this final batch. A signed document of authenticity stating something to the effect---these are the last of the original (genuine) Taplin Twin Mk 3’s , No.’s 1 to xx, would also be nice.

Anyway, this Mk 3 Taplin Twin is sure to be a centre piece in my collection.
Now, what would be the best era/appropriate model (late 1950’s to early 1960’s ???) to compliment this diesel?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:58 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Your Taplin Twin Mk3 has been dispatched thru Reg Parcel speed post on 21 Aug 2012.
Great to hear that, John...!...cant't wait for the photos - and, eventually, a running-in report....

Quote:
Now, what would be the best era/appropriate model (late 1950’s to early 1960’s ???) to compliment this diesel?
Not as simple as it may sound....The TT will be at its best with a fairly slow model with low wing loading. In that particular "era", models tended to get faster and heavier (compared to e.g. early 50's or before...), which limits the model choice somewhat, if you wish to stick to the "period"...

One model crossing my mind is Howard Bonner's "Smog Hog". The period is right, as is also its size (around 74"), and it could quite easily be built slightly lighter than 'standard'. A heavy engine would also reduce the need of lead in the nose (self-experienced...see my Smoggie below)
Increasing the wing area with an extra rib bay each side, would probably be a further improvement here...

Another thought is something like a Pietenpol Air Camper....lots of wing area, and the TT would sit nicely exposed in place of the original Ford A engine....
If not "super scale", maybe a semi-scale model, roughly following the outlines of a Pietenpol....

My 2 C's.......
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Aug 24, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Howard Bonner it is...NOT Edward..!!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:05 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,711 Posts
John, In the UK, Taplin Twins have been used with the Radio Queen. This is culturally consistent, as the first channel crossing Radio Queen was powered by half a Taplin Twin.
Secondly, in 1959, two English gentlemen set a World RC Distance record using a Taplin (Mk I) in a modified Smog Hog. This was just before Maynard Hill put such records out of reach of ordinary modellers. The English guys flew their plane from an open Morgan sports car, like Reggie's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
John, In the UK, Taplin Twins have been used with the Radio Queen. This is culturally consistent, as the first channel crossing Radio Queen was powered by half a Taplin Twin.
Secondly, in 1959, two English gentlemen set a World RC Distance record using a Taplin (Mk I) in a modified Smog Hog. This was just before Maynard Hill put such records out of reach of ordinary modellers. The English guys flew their plane from an open Morgan sports car, like Reggie's.
I flew Belgium's first radio controlled balloon from a Morgan
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:27 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,985 Posts
Quote:

Anyway, this Mk 3 Taplin Twin is sure to be a centre piece in my collection.
Great minds think alike John (so do idiots, but we'll pass over that!) and I was going to suggest the Smog Hog, either as per the Bonner original or as modified, with extra wing area, by the Dance/Skeels team for their distance record flight with the Taplin. If you don't have the Aeromodeller article on that flight I can easily look it out and scan it for you.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
Smog Hog

Thanks, all good suggestions.
My first RC (1965?) was the Good Knight, but it is a little smaller than the Smog Hog. It once flew away on me and I didn't find it (shear good luck) until a week later.
I still have many models to finish up, so I'll add the Smog Hog to the "list". Maybe running the TT will get me "motivated".
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jan 2005
741 Posts
I flew a scaled down Smog Hog for a number of years in the early 1960's with a K&B .19 R/C engine. Reed system and a good flying model. About the same wing area as a Falcon 56. The full size version should do well with your diesel twin. That is me in USAF uniform. Jack
JackHiner is online now Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:10 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,099 Posts
Most of you might know that I've been through the similar vintage glow engines topic and collected all the scanned engine tests which I put on a web page but today I finally finished putting all the diesel tests there too...all 90 odd of them . Keep them coming.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder