HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:12 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
531 Posts
Fiery
You are right, some of the early Anglo Indian Taplins were from parts which were cast in UK, as Kumars bought the tooling, stock and rights. That's the reason you see made in England on your Indian Taplin.

Broken English
If you ever wish to part with any of the Taplins you have consider me in line

Manish
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:40 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,719 Posts
Hi Fiery,
Looking forward to seeing it running!
I assume it doesn't have a serial number... you would have mentioned it...
Does the case have the British patent number stamped on it? If so, I should think you're both probably right about it being assembled in India at least using an original crankcase...
When Taplin stopped production in the UK, there was quite a large reserve of unused parts (that's where Arne Hende's 15cc engines came from, via Mike Clanford and John Goodall). But as the Mk III was going to be made in India, it would seem reasonable to assume that remaining parts for the Mk III were sent there.
Brian
PS: Manish, look at it this way... you're probably at least 20 or 30 years younger than me... so it's just a case of hanging around long enough...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:33 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
I own one TT, and it's a "green one" (7 cc)

It started its life as an 8 cc marine version, though.
About 30 years ago I swapped the "upper parts" with another TT owner, badly needing the flywheel and w/c cylinder/piston units for a boat project....all parts in good shape, both ways.... The green prop driver & spinner nut are "NOS" parts.

The non-anodized spinner nut & prop driver below, were custom made for me by Kid Janacek (great guy, formerly peripherally involved in the DAMO project, etc....), as I initially (while still watercooled), wished to test run with an airscrew, thus preventing a "revving to death" situation with a flywheel.....
As I won't use these parts any more.....does anyone need them....?

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:45 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,719 Posts
As I understand it, you should now have a 7cc engine. My own Mk I (green) also started life as a boat engine, but was converted to aero. Super runners, all of them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Sep 2003
531 Posts
Drool!!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:44 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
I used to own one of these, exactly like the one in the photos, and I did run it on the bench. I sold it about 6 years ago. They were probably great as boat engines, but just not a "reasonable proposition" for the kind of aircraft I build.
I have several original smaller Taplins (4 to be precise), they're much nicer in every way.
Earl, if you had just the normal "Aurora Taplin Twin", they're 8cc, not 5.
I could have sworn I had a .30 size Aurora made Taplin RC twin. Isn't that about 5cc? I bought it from Hobby Lobby way back then circa 1980-81. When Hobby Lobby still sold more exotic items to the modellers. I don't think it was the bigger one. But maybe my memory is going bad you are likely correct.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
Taplin Twin Ser. III 2012 issue

For those who want a Taplin Twin, Aurora has just built a limited number, and are about to release them.

Price is US$350.00

There will only be a few. Original intentions were to build 50, but there may be as few as 12 available. I am told there will be no more.

If anyone is interested they should email Aurora, attn. Mr. Rishi Kumar.

email address: aurora_cal@yahoo.com
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; Jul 23, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:18 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
I've one on order with Rishi.
The payment system with the bank might be the stumbling block, as the bank in India doesn't know who the payment is for!
Here's hoping Rishi got his money.
Unfortunately, PayPal is not acceptable, which is too bad as it would make life so much simpler in this situation.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
I have ordered one as well.

I paid in Australian dollars. Mr Kumar has acknowledged receipt.

Paying by international bank telegraphic transfer is a pain. PayPal was not available.

The engine should arrive in August. It will be interesting to see the quality.

I made my K600 run. A sent a copy of the youtube video to Mr Kumar. He was delighted.

Aurora K600 model aircraft diesel engine (1 min 2 sec)

I am replacing the ball races. The rear was lumpy and the front open race leaked fuel like a sieve. A sealed front race will sort that.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:15 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Does anyone know if the area joining the two cylinders (TT) together is a weld or a brazed joint? My 3.5 green head has an exhaust extension that appears to be soldered. I wonder how the overall process kept the cylinders from warping or becoming distorted ?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Does anyone know if the area joining the two cylinders (TT) together is a weld or a brazed joint? My 3.5 green head has an exhaust extension that appears to be soldered. I wonder how the overall process kept the cylinders from warping or becoming distorted ?
I'm no kind of "engineer" but I've just had a look and I don't think it can be a weld. Looks like very neat brazed joins.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2003
531 Posts
I am sure it is brazed. Aurora's were having difficulty sourcing the right material for the last batch of TT's planned.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,600 Posts
I asked the importer in the UK for one, so maybe I'll get lucky, but with only 12 available, they may be gone before even the UK importer gets them.

Yeah they braze the intake manifold onto the cylinders. Very neatly done too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I asked the importer in the UK for one, so maybe I'll get lucky, but with only 12 available, they may be gone before even the UK importer gets them.

Yeah they braze the intake manifold onto the cylinders. Very neatly done too.
I don't know, but from the picture, it looks like silver solder on the manifold connection.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,988 Posts
Philtech

Out of the blue came this little Philtech this morning.... bought it months ago and forgot all about it, so must the seller..... came from Canada.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald