Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:01 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,455 Posts
Reggie, I hadn’t seen the Delmo. The whole tank top has been ground off the carburettor. The engine should have two side plates, covering the exhaust area of the cylinder, and these are missing, and the NVA is early Micron... It might be a nice engine for spares, or if you already have some spares.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Reggie, I hadn’t seen the Delmo. The whole tank top has been ground off the carburettor. The engine should have two side plates, covering the exhaust area of the cylinder, and these are missing, and the NVA is early Micron... It might be a nice engine for spares, or if you already have some spares.
Indeed, this how it should look like
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jun 10, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
62 Posts
Gentlemen, I will attach (if I'm lucky) 3 photos of Aero diesels that one of the guys has just acquired. He has no information about them other than they came from a chap who was once on the Yugoslavian F1C W/C team. They are different sizes, apparently 5cc, 2.5cc and the little one is maybe 1cc. The big one is serial 0002, the smallest is serial 0008 and the 2.5 size one I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 0746. Would any of you have any knowledge or comments about these engines? Any information or ideas with be received with thanks.
Charlie
2gun is offline Find More Posts by 2gun
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:05 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
Any information or ideas with be received with thanks.
Charlie
Charlie, you just need someone who possesses Jiri Kalina's books which, unfortunately, is not the case for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:17 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
Gentlemen, I will attach (if I'm lucky) 3 photos of Aero diesels that one of the guys has just acquired. He has no information about them other than they came from a chap who was once on the Yugoslavian F1C W/C team. They are different sizes, apparently 5cc, 2.5cc and the little one is maybe 1cc. The big one is serial 0002, the smallest is serial 0008 and the 2.5 size one I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 0746. Would any of you have any knowledge or comments about these engines? Any information or ideas with be received with thanks.
Charlie

Emil Fresl is probably the Yugoslavian F1C W/C flier.

I met Emil in 1985 when the WC was held in Yugoslavia, as it was then.
He was involved with the Aero diesels, and some months after I got back to Australia I received in the mail an Aero 250, but via another person, not Emil.

My Aero 250 was I believe from early to mid '50s, and had the intake underneath the crankcase, but unfortunately it had the wrong crankshaft in it at 180 degrees to where it should have been.
It also had an orange/red anodised head.

I swapped it some years later for an engine I could use.....not an Aero.

Perhaps the engines pictured here are later model Aero's?????
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:52 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Charlie, you just need someone who possesses Jiri Kalina's books which, unfortunately, is not the case for me.
I have both Modelarské Motory books by Jiri but could not find the engines depicted.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
62 Posts
Thanks for the efforts re the Aero engines chaps. I guess you can't win them all.
Charlie
2gun is offline Find More Posts by 2gun
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
2gun, looks like you found a real treasure. Nice diesels, and with a history.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
Nice engines to get 2gun.
I took a look in a old Russian model engines book I have and it only gave a passing mention of the Aero .35 engine. In their glossary they say Aero .35 and right under that Aero Research and Development. But that is it for any other information that I could see in the book.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
475 Posts
Aero 35 is a different type.

Link to the Aero´s http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=762

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,455 Posts
Earl and Heinz, the inline piston Aero .35 has nothing to do with the ex-Yugoslav Aero diesel engines of the fifties.
Following Gossie's lead, I remembered that the Emil Fresl "Achilles" power model was featured in Aeromodeller in 1954, so I looked it up. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that this plane was powered by an Aero 2.5, but the English version of the plan shows an Elfin 2.49, which is normal (and very similar to the Aero).
I'm extremely surprised that Reggie found no reference in Jiri Kalina's books...
Anyway I attach a photo of a super engine as a bit of compensation for 2gun and the other Australian gents, including TwinStack Bob who's gone walkabout...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,454 Posts
Further to the Aero engines, "brokenenglish" is correct that Emil Fresl used an Aero 250 in his Achilles FAI Power Model in 1954, even though an Elfin 2.49 beam mount model is shown on the plan in 1954.
Page 362 of July 1954 Aeromodeller magazine shows the model and states it uses the Aero 250.

July 1954 Aeromodeller magazine page 358 has a photo of an Aero 250 that looks very much like the one pictured here earlier, so I guess that one would be a 1954 or thereabouts.

Sorry, but I can't scan on this stooopid 'puter, so took a pic, such as it is from page 358.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Earl and Heinz, the inline piston Aero .35 has nothing to do with the ex-Yugoslav Aero diesel engines of the fifties.
Following Gossie's lead, I remembered that the Emil Fresl "Achilles" power model was featured in Aeromodeller in 1954, so I looked it up. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that this plane was powered by an Aero 2.5, but the English version of the plan shows an Elfin 2.49, which is normal (and very similar to the Aero).
I'm extremely surprised that Reggie found no reference in Jiri Kalina's books...
Anyway I attach a photo of a super engine as a bit of compensation for 2gun and the other Australian gents, including TwinStack Bob who's gone walkabout...
I was a bit surprised too. There is AMA, Akrobat, Alag, Al-Ko, Atom, AMM but no Aero.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
33 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4927198
I have a copy of the original M. A. N. 19 article by Ted Martin which was of course the Amco 3.5BB. Is this motor an improvement of the original?.
W
Wikiflieger is offline Find More Posts by Wikiflieger
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:38 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,323 Posts
You know it may not be called a "Aero" in Yugoslavia, they may have named it or called it something else there.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane