HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,775 Posts
Wasn't there also a grey paint, beeing likewise, er, "popular"...?....from my childhood I recall the myriads of Ferguson tractors, rapidly replacing the (mostly brown..) horses on the fields.....all the same grey colour. Also a lot of other agricultural equipment looked the same.....
My first car was a Morris Minor....guess its colour...

BTW: I once owned a motorcycle sidecar (A 1949-50 Swallow Jet 80), that started its life in the UK....it was re-painted by a previous owner, in....you guessed it...!...the same grey stuff...!

Maybe navy/marine surplus...?
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; May 18, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,323 Posts
Tractors

GH, for the last sixty plus years, in rural France, the most popular model of Fergusson tractor is actually called "le petit gris" (small grey). My neighbour is still using a 1952 Fergusson "petit gris". Another neighbour has the most beautiful vintage Deutz tractor, colour grass green (like John Deere) but with quite a few little brass bits on it, that he keeps polished - Superb. If we ever get to summer, I'll take a photo and post it.
Last year I had to really fight my own desire to buy a vintage tractor. Some of them are beautiful (not to mention the sound!), and there's a whole world of collecting, shows and magazines etc. in France, far more than for our own model engine activity.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old May 18, 2012, 08:40 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,401 Posts
Mr. Wiz, that's a very nice find. Looks great. Thanks for the pictures.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,775 Posts
BE, Over here there it was called "Grålle" (a pet name for a grey horse)
Several of them are still doing good service (what a fine little machine..!)
Like you, I also have neighbor owning (and using) one.....its sound puts me right back to childhood....
(BTW the sound is quite similar to a Tiger Moth..)
Old May 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
Green autos, I learned to drive in my dad's two tone green 1940 Buick Roadmaster. His next car was a 1949 green Buick Roadmaster. Then a two tone green 1953 Pontiac My first car was a 1957 green Chevy. Have not had a green car since the 57 Chevy. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old May 18, 2012, 09:26 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Glad you guys like the little Heron. I fell in love with the green and brass myself.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 18, 2012, 03:17 PM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
127 Posts
Hello !

Here are some pics of a "Jaguar 2,5" Diesel replica made by AMZ (Antikmotorenzentrum)
It is one of my favourite engines(optical).
Maybe rarely seen outside of Germany ?

Sorry, its not green

Regards,
Sebastian
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog
Old May 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,206 Posts
Very nice, Sebastian.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old May 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
927 Posts
Wow, Old memories i have owned a Fergy 24,35 and a MF 265 in my time. heres my 24 ( with a red bonnet) from about 35 years ago.
Just an afterthought who knows what a Fergusson fastback is !!!!!
ColinNZ is offline Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Last edited by ColinNZ; May 19, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,775 Posts
Mr Wiz, thanks for posting the lovely green/brass "Marine Heron"...much appreciated...

Here are my 2 aircooled M.E. Herons.
The "red" one is still unrun. The other one (early version) is a super user friendly, excellent runner......no powerhouse, and almost all anodizing is gone, but I love it...!...it is predestined for a "Courtesan" [Vic Smeed], a build that unfortunately has been "asleep" for a while, but I'm getting there at the end....
Old May 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
475 Posts
Nice engines Gluehand. Thanks for posting them.

I have never seen a Marown Engineering / ME in the flesh.

Casting quality looks top class. The "pimpled" prop driver is a different touch as well.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old May 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,775 Posts
Modified ETA 15

Sorry for the poor photo quality, but possibly it's a unique one...?...showing an ETA 15 with 'improved' (?) cooling, and a worm drive (!) compression adjustment.
I found this in a Swedish club magazine from 1967. The modification is said to be made by a Belgian, Michel Belfed (I'm not sure if I got the name right...)
Old May 26, 2012, 08:11 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,323 Posts
Speed Demon worm gear compression

GH, It's not the first.
The Speed Demon is often said to have the same compression arrangement as the Delmo, but this is wrong, the Speed Demon has a worm gear system (the Delmo just has a normal compression screw that pushes the cylinder down, but the cylinder only rises due to the combustion force, like a normal contra-piston).

If you look at the Speed Demon cylinder, you'll see that the compression screw cannot move axially (cannot rise or descend). The cylinder head is trapped between the collar on the screw and the integral flange, so that turning the screw actually drives the cylinder up or down (worm gear). It works great providing you're aware of it... the compression adjustment is reversed, turning clockwise reduces compression.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old May 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,401 Posts
Thanks for the Speed demon info brokenenglish. Interesting way to change the compression.
Well, to-day I thought I'd run a couple of diesels...no chance. My 2 year old can, never opened, from Dr. Diesel (Toledo) doesn't seem to have enough ether to run a small diesel. At best, only a few weak "pops" using slightly higher than normal compression. An old can of my own mix was slightly better producing a series of "pops". The CTC diesel starting fluid didn't do a thing. Guess I'll have to go to the John Deer store.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 28, 2012, 02:04 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
475 Posts
Dc Dart renovation

My DC Dart, an example from DC's "quickstart" era. Rescued from oblivion (post # 3503) and completed with a new prop driver, starter cam and integral tank, all of which were missing. Apart from two plier scratches on the beautifully anodised cooling fins, it is now a very tidy example.

It's a wee sweetie. Never having operated a diesel this small, using the spring start device I found it suprisingly easy to start. It ran well on my standard diesel brew. No high ether concoction required. It pulled a Master Airscrew 5.5 x 4.5 propeller with authority. A 6 x 4 propeller would be fine as well.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; May 28, 2012 at 02:12 AM.