HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:06 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
539 Posts
I would mention I purchased a Taplin Twin Mk III (Aurora assembled) off the usual internet auction site a while ago. The price was reasonable as the Seller disclosed it was defective.

As expected it was unuseable out of the box. It willl need fettling but I am hopeful new bearings and a good internal clean will restore it to running condition. I will get to that this year.

I doubt it had ever been run by the original owner. The identification stamp on the manifold shows it is No 13.

Others who have bought Aurora examples and have had similar issues. I hope the final release will be suitable for running as delivered.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; Jan 29, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Typographical error corrected
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:55 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,907 Posts
I bought a Taplin Twin many years ago from Hobby Lobby, who sold engines at the time. It was a Indian made engine, likely Aurora. But mine actually ran really well right out of the box. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I do regret selling it though. I miss it still.
I flew the engine on a House of Balsa Peitenpol airplane at the time. It had ample power to fly the plane. Plus it was amazingly quiet too. People were surprised at how quiet it ran.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:26 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
What engine is this ?
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:36 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I bought a Taplin Twin many years ago from Hobby Lobby, who sold engines at the time. It was a Indian made engine, likely Aurora. But mine actually ran really well right out of the box. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I do regret selling it though. I miss it still.
I flew the engine on a House of Balsa Peitenpol airplane at the time. It had ample power to fly the plane. Plus it was amazingly quiet too. People were surprised at how quiet it ran.
Earl, how big is the plane you mention (weight & wingspan)? I'm a Taplin fan and I'm considering building a 96" KK Falcon that will weigh around 9 lbs I suppose. I'd like to put one of my original T/Twins in it, but I'm wondering whether it would be a bit marginal on power... In pretty chilly weather, a few weeks ago, the engine in the photo turned a Toplite 14x6 at 5600 rpm. To be honest, I was a tiny bit disappointed, my best ball-race Drone turns the same prop at 5150 (although the weather must have been warmer...), so how big is the Pietenpol?
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2005
709 Posts
Attached is a couple photos of a Dunham Vallyrie .33 cu. in. diesel from the UK. To get this engine running well took a lot of work and a couple years. Probably why I got it so cheap. Some more time on the test stand and then in my full size Playboy Cabin. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:01 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Earl, how big is the plane you mention (weight & wingspan)? I'm a Taplin fan and I'm considering building a 96" KK Falcon that will weigh around 9 lbs I suppose. I'd like to put one of my original T/Twins in it, but I'm wondering whether it would be a bit marginal on power... In pretty chilly weather, a few weeks ago, the engine in the photo turned a Toplite 14x6 at 5600 rpm. To be honest, I was a tiny bit disappointed, my best ball-race Drone turns the same prop at 5150 (although the weather must have been warmer...), so how big is the Pietenpol?
Brian
I had a .30 size Taplin Twin on the House of Balsa Pietenpol. The plane had about a 65 inch wing span and used something like a Clark Y airfoil (flat bottom). I flew it three channel, rudder elevator and throttle. The engine was quite ample in power for flying the Pietenpol around.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:55 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,876 Posts
Pietenpol is a great machine...one of my favourites..!

Here is an own design, non-scale, though the source of inpiration should be quite obvious...
It's long ago, hence these poor quality, scanned photos.

Span was 64", the wing was a fairly high aspect ratio design, with an undercambered airfoil.

The photos show an OS FS40 at the front, but this model started its life with an ED Miles Special 5 cc diesel (the "late" version called "Viking"). IIRC, the prop was a wooden 12 x 4.
It flew very well with the Miles....no powerhouse, but it was capable of a "scale"-like behaviour....very fun to fly, particularily landings, which could be done in a very "S.T.O.L.-ish" manner...

Reason why I switched to the FS40 was pure curiousity, as this was my first 4-stroke......as I recall, the FS40 and the Miles were about equal, powerwise...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Mar 2008
539 Posts
Is it still possible to purchase new E.D. Super Hunters and Vikings?

I heard somewhere they were still being made, in the U.K., but have never found the answer.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,876 Posts
As late as the early (or mid?) 80's the "Electronic Development" brand name still existed...under what ownership I dont know though....

This broshure is from about 1984, and lots of stuff was still available. I bought a few engines at the time...

However I'm not sure if any manufacturing took place at that time...I would rather beleive they sold out an old stock, and/or assembled engines from old parts.

Whether anything from this stock would still be available, and from whom, I don't know......some spares would be nice indeed.....
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2008
539 Posts
I decided to get off my donkey and do some research using google.

Here is a link:

http://www.westonuk.co.uk/westonuk2_009.htm

It seems Weston have some connection. There are still R/C carbs bearing the "E.D" brand. Sadly the "engines" link is not operative .
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:13 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,876 Posts
Wow...it surprises me the old AMC carbs are still available (if they really are, that is..)

Optimistically , I sent an e-mail to Westonuk with an inquiry...in case of a reply , I'll post the result here...

Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,907 Posts
I saw on the big auction site that someone had a ETA 2.5cc engine up for auction. This is something I haven't seen before. Looks to be a pretty interesting engine though.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,536 Posts
That's a nice ETA Elite Mk II (1970), now going for more than $450. The Mk I was less than 6 pounds and in Canada about 1962 I paid about $20 Cdn. Looking way back, this was a very poor choice for my first diesel. It had about the same power as a McCoy .19 RV racing engine. I broke the crank, had that replaced. Cracked the crank case- then put it away.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:01 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I had a few of these, my favourite engine. I sold them up years ago, including my "Star Trek" version; youi had to see the muffler setup to understand...

On an 8-8 or a 9-6, it would really haul the mail! I got mine from the T/R guys as "too worn to be of use"! I got many, many flights out of my ETAs.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:07 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,549 Posts
Italian Atomatic on eBay France

Hi all,

There's a rare Italian Atomatic on eBay France:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170775441790

You'll have to look quickly. The French usually do a dirty private deal on this kind of engine. I wouldn't mind betting the auction doesn't run to the end.

Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member