HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
What sort of threads are on the Irvines? I've never actually looked at mine for that. They "might" be metric and NOT BA. Just a thought.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,706 Posts
Some of the older glow Irvine engines, that I have, were using SAE threads, such as 6x32 screws for the head and crankcase. Now I assume the newer OS version engines are likely metric then.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Nov 2008
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHiner View Post
I selected the wrong photo. Here is the one I wanted to upload as it is in better focus. Jack
He's one even more agricultural, but still effective. It was passed on to me by an old club member
It's made from a man's leather belt and a length of broom handle. They are held together by two large headed wood screws.

Ray
locktite401 is offline Find More Posts by locktite401
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:01 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
525 Posts
Tommy bar adjuster

Another use for an old broom handle. Cost nil, except for ten minutes of your time
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:07 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,850 Posts
Hi,

Another crude but functional tool is this one......an adjustable spanner for those threaded, three-port cylinder liners with 360° exhaust....

Could have been more well made & fancy, I know....but as we all know, when you find a temporary solution really working, it easily raises to "permanent" status...

EDIT\\: I should add, this is an "emergency tool" that I mostly use for separating liner from jacket, in case they are very stuck together (i.e. when the liner insists on coming off the crankcase when trying to unscrew the jacket), with heat & leather...
In all other cases, I use the "heat & leather" method, unscrewing as well as tightening...normally there's really no need for more force than what you acheive by hand...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 26, 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:17 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery View Post
Another use for an old broom handle. Cost nil, except for ten minutes of your time
..and back ache when you sweep the yard, 'cos the broom is now a bit short.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Robinson,
Thanks but yes you are right postage would be killing.
The Irvine has metric thread as 4mm nut goes on snug. I will source the spinner nut from Aurora models
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:12 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,477 Posts
Taplin twin is a go.

For those interested in having a Taplin twin, Rishi says, “we are going ahead with the project. First engine expected end Feb. It will have an extra BB upgrade and 20hrs of testing. Deliveries are expected by mid March.”

There are only about 50 being put together.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:07 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
For those interested in having a Taplin twin, Rishi says, “we are going ahead with the project. First engine expected end Feb. It will have an extra BB upgrade and 20hrs of testing. Deliveries are expected by mid March.”

There are only about 50 being put together.

John
I had an email from Rishi this morning, and he also told me they are making only 50 as well.
I guess if you want one best jump in now.
They it seems do have spares for other engines produced by them as well at the moment.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Back at post #3132 with same info on Taplins from Rishi and guess what I am first in line or should I say I could be the test mule??
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:19 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
[QUOTE=mchandrayan; I could be the test mule??[/QUOTE]

I must say I doubt that, as I've found Rishi to be VERY honorable in our dealings.
He has in fact gone far out of his way by miles in being helpful.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:39 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
525 Posts
Taplin Twin

Howard

Is Mr Kumar establishing a list for the engine?

I had an email from him earlier this month confirming the project was going ahead but no mention of any list. I seemed to be 'first in best dressed" as engines became available.

I am sure there will be plenty for those who wish to acquire one.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Taplin Twin

Gossie,
My post regarding test mule was in lighter vein. I have known Rishi for past 20 years or so and have never felt that he was not an excellent human being or had any issues dealing with him.
Fiery,
On the priority list I guess there could be few as the first batch could have more than one engine so that it's a win-win situation for us and Rishi could keep more than one customer happy.
What do the gent's here think should be a fair price on a new from factory Aurora built Taplin which would be agrreable to buyers and seller alike?
Manish
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:32 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,485 Posts
Derrik and Manish,
No idea if a list has been set up re. the Taplin, but in his mail he seems sure 50 only would be made. Personally if it was my business and 500 firm orders came in, probably with a small deposit, then I would make the 500 or more.

No idea on price. This was not mentioned except to say these 50 should bring crazy eBay prices back in line.

Probably a good idea for you guys to email him to confirm your Taplin order.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,477 Posts
Recent Ebay prices for 2 British Taplins sold 10 days ago were $450 and $540. These prices are down since the last 6 months which went as high as $750 for a good condition British Original.

My understanding is that these 50 diesels are being assembled from left over previous production parts, about enough for 50 diesels. No “new” production.

Expect the selling price to be over $400 US. This makes sense as the speculators and profiteers would only buy up the entire lot and then try and re sell at a profit on EB.

I am hoping that a nice display box and a numbered diesel will fit in with this sale.

So, gentlemen, if you want one, get on the list, or it may already be too late. And yes, what am I going to do with it? Good question, but I just have to have one. I passed up on one about 30 years ago for $100 US at Toledo. And the OT was about 35 pounds then.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R