SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:12 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
The name etha came from ethanol.
Hmm, I've heard another version....that the "THA" of "ETHA" should stand for "Thalheim" (a place or a person ??), Switzerland.....

A real beauty anyway....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Very nice, but very expensive. According to the seller, the "S" stands for side, or presumably, beam mount lugs as opposed to the more common radial mounts, as shown on the box lid. From 1954.....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hochleistungs...item3370c4f80f
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:25 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
My '2,5 S' has radial AND beam mounts...i.e. the "S" isn't unique for the beam-only version....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:54 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Hmm, I've heard another version....that the "THA" of "ETHA" should stand for "Thalheim" (a place or a person ??), Switzerland.....

A real beauty anyway....
Yes you're right. Danny sent me copy of the patent sheet. The name comes from the inventor Ernst Thalheim and the patent dates 31 dec 1927
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
When I first bought this Taipan 1.5 BB, I very nearly removed that needle valve thinking it was not an original Burford item - turns out it is ! So unlike any other of Gordon's NVA's, I thought it may have been off a German Taifun or somesuch.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
More Taipan!

I have a serious Taipan addiction
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
Fiery, very nice Taipan; are fins and cylinder screwed down just hand tight, or is there a tool for that? My DC Rapier came with a flimsy tool which caused more scratches than it was worth!
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
579 Posts
John

A leather strap wrench is preferred for assembly and disassembly of this style of engine.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:48 AM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
129 Posts
Strap Wrench

Hi Fiery,
We have all seen the cyl. heads on diesels damaged by pliers, can you show us a pic of your strap wrench so we can build one?

Attached is a pic of our Bugaboo and my daughter Katie after it's first flight last week.. It did very well but the interesting thing was how well the engine started in 29F weather (Chinese Mills repop) I was very suprised and because it's still new, we ran it undercompressed and fat, it did great.. FWIW: We use Aerodyne fuel and it was spinning a RevUp 7 X 4. A good test but Bugaboo has a slight aft C/G problem that I will fix next week by moving the servo's forward..

Al
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
Nice picture. Nice bird. If I could only get my 9 year old daughter to hold an airplane and give a big smile like that!!!!

Just picture an old automotive oil filter wrench, strap type not cup, and there you have it. (only smaller)

Can you give any details on the Chinese Mills? Where is it available?

Thanks
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:47 PM
robinson727
USA, MS, Byhalia
Joined Nov 2010
129 Posts
Hi Tag,
Sure.. The Mills came from Carlson Imports, Ed's a great guy and stands by his products, I have used him for years.. http://carlsonengineimports.net/

So just a scaled down strap wrench.. I can do that.. The Mills (all of 'em) has to have the mod to pin the cylinder liner and I havn't done the Chinese one or an origional we put on a Tomboy we built last winter because I didn't want to damage the head.. Good idea, thanks for the tip..
FWIW: I questiond Ed Carlson on how well the Chinese Mills was going to do but it started quite easly the first time on the bench last summer and we ran a coupla tank fulls thru it at low power settings before flight.. Not enough to break it in so we are ran it "under propped" and easy on the RPM for the first flights on Bugaboo.. Last week, it was a no brainer.. I primed it and a coupla flips later off she went.. I was very curious about this as I had never run diesels in cold weather before so this was interesting.
Attached is a pic of my "Herd" w/ Tomboy last winter, they all put up with my foolishness !!
robinson727 is offline Find More Posts by robinson727
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Very nice, but very expensive. According to the seller, the "S" stands for side, or presumably, beam mount lugs as opposed to the more common radial mounts, as shown on the box lid. From 1954.....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hochleistungs...item3370c4f80f
For Bob and Gluehand as well...
As you both know, the twin ball-race racing Webra (the Mach I) is marked "2.5 R", which must mean "Racing". I've therefore always considered it safe to assume that the "S" means "Sport".
Beam mounting has never been called "Side". In my view, the seller has probably seen the term "side mounted" somewhere (for a side-winder engine) and made a totally wrong assumption.
Brian
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
a leather strap tool- excellent

Thanks Fiery. A leather strap is a good idea. I had a difficult time removing the exhaust ring from the blue head Rapier (2.5 cc). I had to use a sonicator and soak for a week, then gently tap with a wooden block. My first try with the metal C clamp (DC Rapier “tool”) was a mistake!
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
976 Posts
I've also used a piece of wood, drilled out the same size as the head then split in one spot. Slide it over the head and close up the split with a screw to tighten it on the head. Use this as a wrench.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2005
741 Posts
Here is a photo of a strap wrench installed on a replica Letmo 2.5 cc diesel. Notice the arrow direction indication for unscrewing. Flip it over to tighten. The loop or noose on this one is rubber. Others have leather or some kind of woven strong fabric. Also useful when tightening and loosening metal fuel can screw on lids. Wash off fuel and oil from wrench and item before using.

Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner