4 Posts
Australia mate!
frog500 is offline Find More Posts by frog500
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:20 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,543 Posts
Ok if your in/nere a magor city try and contact guys that fly control line , they useually have ether supliers worked out , if not try your local Johm Deer agent for there engine starting fluid 7oz cans(JD Part No - RE33636 on can ) - these contain 80% ether 20% gasseous propelent which when gassed of gives 100% ether (may have 1-2% upper cylinder lube). If you want larger quantities 20L drum contact chemical suppliers (look in yellow pages)
At the moment the JD fluid is reasonably competitive price wise with bulk purchases(20L drum)
Stewart
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
4 Posts
thanks Stewart/
frog500 is offline Find More Posts by frog500
Old Sep 05, 2009, 11:40 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,401 Posts
PB .033 diesel still being made

I found this info on the Cox web site,

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

Shown is a nice modern , old time diesel, that is still custom made. They are still available.

PB .033 (0.5 cm³)

Manufactured in 2004-2007

This engine is produced in small quantities by Peter Burford in Australia. Peter is the son of Gordon Burford, who is well known as the Australian "Engine Man". Many engines have been designed and manufactured by the Gordons - for example their "Taipan" engines and propellers are well known all over the world. Like his father, Peter is an excellent designer and machinist who developed the PB .033 diesel engine. The engine is intended for small free flight or R/C models, ideally suited for old timer events and leisure flying.

For more details see www.peterburford.com.au.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 05, 2009, 01:01 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,088 Posts
for that price I'd rather have a Nelson.....
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Sep 05, 2009, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
189 Posts
Then buy a Nelson.
LittleRock is offline Find More Posts by LittleRock
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:12 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
A link would be nice
personally i would always prefer a rear mixture adjustment
but i have had some front suckers that really performed well.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 05, 2009, 08:39 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Why does price have anything to do with it?? A Nelson is a nice engine, but has a completely different purpose...

My Doonside Mills is a wonderful engine; it will outlive me, and likely the next owner, because of the quality (big word there, gents) that is inherent in all of Burford's engines. I wish Peter well in following in his father's footsteps, big boots to fill!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Sep 05, 2009, 09:33 PM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,543 Posts
Peters .33 diesel is a true example of the craftsmans art, its built with no compromises and feels like a swiss watch, absolutely a delight to run. Im glad I saved my pennies for mine.
Stewart
Old Sep 06, 2009, 01:03 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorks
You better jump in quick then Simon.....Henry's winding it all down......tired of the cold in PA so heading south to Florida.
Spares are still to be available though.

Peter Burford's engine is 'expensive' but a real gem. You do in this case get what you pay for.
I don't have one but have seen one used in a KK Southener Mite, and it was ideal for the task.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 06, 2009, 06:35 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,088 Posts
I never wrote it was bad quality. I simply thought it was expensive, as far as collectible engines go. e.g. look at barton model products website. One could purchase an original elfin .5 also with underslung tank plus a new dyno .6 replica for the same money...or a genuine oliver tiger. Horses for courses.
I don't doubt Peters engineering ability & wasnt critisizing him.
cheers
Simon
Old Sep 06, 2009, 07:15 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,425 Posts
I know what you meant Simon.......different strokes for different folks.
In my own case I have no interest in owning and using the PB. I really have pretty much all I need in Mills.75s and a DC Dart in that sort of size.

If you were serious about a Nelson for whatever reason though, my post was in good faith.
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Sep 06, 2009, 07:43 AM
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,543 Posts
Simon , I agree it is expensive as are some other engines, I like small displacement engines and small sports models and missed buying dc darts etc ( I do have a Merlin ). The PB is also R/C which suits my needs too, besides sometimes we just need to indulge ourselves with whatever turns our eye. I have never owned a Nelson but have seen them run, very impresive power but not my cup of tea to speak, but hey this is a wide hobby
Stewart
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:00 AM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,088 Posts
I love tiny engines also such as the Kalper & Bambi etc. however I'm baffled as to how one could build an aeroplane with desirable wing loading ? I thought the DC bambi in particular had fairly poor power to weight ? saying that though, I always wanted one to complete my DC collection, ha ha.
With regard to micro or sub micro RC gear I have never really known what battery to use? my lightest AAA NiMh packs are about 52gms. Which in my opinion almost rules out the Dart as a viable RC motor.

As to making sense of the money we all spend on the hobby.....what can I say? I won't tell your wife if you don't tell mine.LOL
cheers
Simon
Old Sep 06, 2009, 09:13 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,539 Posts
I've flown a Bambi very successfuly too many years ago. A simple little sport model, no frills, which performed very happily of a calm evening. This was back in the good old days (?) when performance wasn't a issue and I actually was happy with sport models....
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney