HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:33 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
Speaking of Micron's A little 0.9 from about 1958.
Runs well, but the tiny tank only lasts about a minute.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Unless my eyes deceive me, it says BE 4 on the side of this latter-day repro engine, but looking at Rojo's example, there must have been different models. Regardless, does anyone know who made these (expensive) replica's ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:00 AM
Birthplace of Aviation
Joined Jul 2003
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Jean-Marie, I envy you your Micron's - I like them very much ! I have to ask you though, in what country is the "Birth Place Of Aviation" ? Depending on ones point of view, that could be half a dozen different countries ! BOB
Well, here is my take on it:
As a Frenchman, I am proud to consider my country is where the main early development of the aviation industry happened in the years preceding WW1 with people like Farman, Voisin, Blériot, etc...
But when I visited Dayton, Ohio and understood how methodically Wilbur and Orville Wright had experimented, I saw that they were the fathers of practical controlled powered flight with their Wright Flyer III performing half-hour long flights over the Huffman Prairie as early as 1905.
(Ohio car license plates bear the words "Birth Place of Aviation").
So, are we talking of aviation as the first practical airplane, or as an industry?

Now, here is another Micron, the not-so-common 1960 front induction 0.9 cc. The crankcase is definitely 2.5-like. This one is un-run.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
As a Frenchman, I am proud to consider my country is where the main early development of the aviation industry happened in the years preceding WW1 with people like Farman, Voisin, Blériot, etc...
But when I visited Dayton, Ohio and understood how methodically Wilbur and Orville Wright had experimented, I saw that they were the fathers of practical controlled powered flight with their Wright Flyer III performing half-hour long flights over the Huffman Prairie as early as 1905.
So, are we talking of aviation as the first practical airplane, or as an industry?
Jean-Marie, we may as well argue over the question "How long is a piece of string" ? The origins of flight are very numerous and vague, and anyway, I do not wish to argue with a Frenchman - after all, you made those lovely Microns ! Here is an early Australian "aviator" to add to our list -
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/hargrave.html
Kindest Regards, BOB
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:23 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post

Now, here is another Micron, the not-so-common 1960 front induction 0.9 cc. The crankcase is definitely 2.5-like. This one is un-run.
You seem to forget Santos Dumont, Brazilian ok , but made all of his ships and planes in France, flying at Issy les Moulineaux. I built several Demoiselles from 1/3rd scale to co2 powered peanut. Have a look at my Blériot pics on my website.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Ze baby Micron -
1991.This is a 0.2cc down sized French Micron Racing BB 2.5cc diesel used in team race in the 60's.Work is fabulous and every detail of the real is present including the two Ball Bearings with a real working contra piston.The cylinder and cranshaft are tempered and trued.The volumetric scale is 1/12,5 (0.08).The engine is said to run over 20 000 rpm on a Cox 3 x 1.25.The compression is excellent.Starting is difficult due to lack of inertia but instantly starts with a 1/2A electric starter.There is no starting coil like on the Cox TD 010. More should be availiable soon but not before end September or even later.A maximum of 10 have been built.The full size Micron 2.5cc is not part of the auction.No box nor paperwork.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,169 Posts
Dare I say that looks nicer than the Schlosser?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:18 AM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
475 Posts
Dare we also say it will be more expensive than a Schlosser .25 cc?
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:08 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,337 Posts
Dyno

I do like finds like these. The engine was described as "locked solid". Spraying some oil, heating-up a bit and voilà, engine turns perfectly free and with good compression at that. I will show pictures when it is restored to its full former glory. Original Dyno's are hard to find. This one does have a different square
intake casting at the back than the one I already had.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:26 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,776 Posts
Yes...."locked solid" is mostly a good thing....i.e. there's a good chance that the engine has been allowed to "rest in piece", not being subject to violent attempts to loosen it up, so called "restorations".....electric starters, modern oils etc etc...

I generally like "locked solid"....

A nice find, Reg....this kind of things don't turn up often....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:43 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Stuff -
Old Oct 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And more -
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:20 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Strange looking animal ! How many have you got Reggy ?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:58 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Wanna join in the feeding frenzy ?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAIPAN-2-...item35b5c52788
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Strange looking animal ! How many have you got Reggy ?
No do not have any Vega engines.