HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Jan 2005
741 Posts
Mr. Wiz, you can order the Enya 41 FS directly from Enya in Japan. So later if you have the money you can get a new one. I got one a few years back. The first four stroke engine I have run. I followed the instructions and it started. But takes about on average 13 flips of the prop to start when cold. Some use a starter but I just hand start. Jack
JackHiner is online now Find More Posts by JackHiner
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:35 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,556 Posts
Why did Enya leave the valve cover and pushrod tubes off of the 41 4 stroke diesel engine? They have them in the box, but they didn't install them on the engine.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:44 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Here is one you don't see too often. In case you are wondering but don't want to click, it's an Enya 41 4C Diesel. If I had not just bought the Webra T4-.90 I'd be trying to add this baby to my collection.
Never heard of this version ! This must be a fixed compression version ? Furthermore, the blocked-off glowplug indicates that there is no contra piston?
This must have been a very courageous project for them 3 brothers, with fixed compression one has to "fiddle" with fuel mixtures, depending if flying on a sunny or rainy day.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:13 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Why did Enya leave the valve cover and pushrod tubes off of the 41 4 stroke diesel engine? They have them in the box, but they didn't install them on the engine.
I have no clue. I'm sure our resident Enya expert can shed some light on the subject, Bob...
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:59 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,556 Posts
Some people had trouble with the fixed compression Enya 41-4C, other people had no problems at all. I don't see it being any different than the Drone engines. My Drones run quite well. But you more or less chose the prop to match the engine in this case.

I see the auction price is rapidly approaching the price if you bought a new one from Enya. At the moment 35,000 yen is about $451 dollars US. But then this engine is already inside the USA already.

I had previously broke down and bought a Enya 155 four stroke from someone who was selling it for a really good price. Otherwise I might have had a try for that Enya 41 diesel engine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2005
741 Posts
The engine is fixed compression. I have run it on cool days and warm days using commercial model deisel fuel with no problems. It comes with extra head shims so you can change the compression with different props. The valve cover is not installed in case you add head shims and need to adjust the valves. I run mine without the valve cover as I like to see the valves do their thing. If I flew it in a dirty enviorment I would install the valve cover. jack
JackHiner is online now Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:30 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,663 Posts
Sheesh... I went to bed and the bid price wasn't too bad. I wake up the next morning and the price has doubled! I didn't know these were still available from Enya. I also don't think I'd pay that price for one. Once the price goes up near $400 there are other engines I'd rather have.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:11 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,404 Posts
Wow, I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the Yen. I paid around 300USD when I bought my 41-4CD in 2006. It's about 460USD today. My 41-4CD had an issue with head bolt torquing. Improper torque warps the liner and binds the piston. I was able to get it right by trial and error. Using a torque wrench and torque pattern will not guarantee it won't bind. I haven't attempted to run it since.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:44 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,556 Posts
Yes, the US dollar has declined a lot against the Yen. It is hard to imagine, especially since the Japanese economy has been pretty much flat for many years now.
Right now it is:
1.00 JPY = 0.0130422 USD
or about 78 Yen to the dollar.

Many years ago I remember the Yen being around 350 to the dollar.

Anyway, if you buy something from Enya's Japan Store direct, it is going to cost you dearly nowadays.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I have no clue. I'm sure our resident Enya expert can shed some light on the subject, Bob...
Mr. Wiz, There has been much written about the big Enya Diesel already, so I cannot really add anything that hasn't already been said.......
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=1927
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=1946
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,556 Posts
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how a used Enya 41 four stroke diesel can sell for more than the cost of a new one, and it appears including shipping too.
$485 for that engine. The seller did really good on that one. I would never have that kind of luck myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:40 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
Earl, same holds true for MVVS and CS replica diesels that are just a couple of years old, also the last couple of years ST diesels have gone through the roof. Maybe its just "speculators" ?
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,745 Posts
a few videos of diesels

KMD 2.5cc DIESEL ENGINE 1987 RUSSIA

KMD 2.5cc DIESEL ENGINE 1987 RUSSIA (1 min 53 sec)

Fora 2,5 юниор ( new )

Fora 2,5 «юниор» ( new ) (1 min 15 sec)

Starting and Running The Vintage MK17 Russian Diesel Engine
Starting and Running The Vintage MK17 Russian Diesel Engine (1 min 56 sec)

Webra diesel engine R/C 1,5 cm3
Webra diesel engine R/C 1,5 cm3 (2 min 42 sec)
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Start saving now boys !
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MODEL-AIRP...item415dcb69a2
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Heck, it is too rare for me. I wouldn't be able to use it. So I'll leave it for the speculators then.
But it is really super nice.
RCG Plus Member