HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
Nice.

Is that the Davis Diesel conversion?
Looks similar to mine excepting mine is blue....
Could never get any decent run out of it, nothing more than about 20 seconds before it cuts out, at which stage it has deformed or eaten the little teflon disk.
Do you still use the head gasket as well and if so on top or below the disk?
I have thought of cutting a disk from a soft drink can but have not tried it yet.

What size prop are you using on it?

Mark.
zl3vml is online now Find More Posts by zl3vml
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Nice to see these diesels all up and running.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 14, 2011, 01:06 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Obscure 1943 French Diesel
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
deep south of France
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
Hi, diesel engine collectors and users !

I have acquired a job lot of N.O.S. marine heads for vintage british engines.

The most of them has been identified by verifying with my own engines (PIC 1).
BUT a dozen of them are still a mystery for me...

Maybe, if you own the aero version of the engine wich marine head is pictured here (and if you have some time to lost) you will be able to put a name on them !

HEAD #1 is probably from an early Frog?
HEAD #2 has a nut machined or welded on the top, I have already seen that but can't remember where...
Many Thanks, Chris
rapmoz is offline Find More Posts by rapmoz
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:53 AM
France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Argelès-sur-Mer
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
the main job of Marquet was light motorcycle engine. this model engine, a 5cc, the only one they do was sold througt a shop in the city of LYON fron 1945 to probably 1947 in low number. the attached file is from french magasine: L'AIR POUR LES JEUNES from august 1945
raduga is offline Find More Posts by raduga
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:43 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,971 Posts
Quote:
I think French collectors would love to buy this engine from you. Oddly, I do not have many French engines myself, maeby 6 or 8. The thing is, you just do'nt get into contact with them French. We go there from time to time, friends of ours that live round the corner do have a 16th century house in Sancerre. How did that Maraguet end up in the US of A ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:48 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
I think French collectors would love to buy this engine from you. Oddly, I do not have many French engines myself, maeby 6 or 8. The thing is, you just do'nt get into contact with them French. We go there from time to time, friends of ours that live round the corner do have a 16th century house in Sancerre. How did that Maraguet end up in the US of A ?
Yes I ment Marquet, there's also the make Maraget
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:00 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
...How did that Maraguet end up in the US of A ?
I seem to remember that around 1944-1945 a large number of GI's were roaming Europe, amongst them must have been a proportion of aeromodellers who saw the European diesels (mainly French and Italian) as an interesting alternative to the ignition engines of the time and brought them home.
Of course, Ray Arden introduced the glow-plug shortly after, but that is another story and another thread...
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
I seem to remember that around 1944-1945 a large number of GI's were roaming Europe, amongst them must have been a proportion of aeromodellers who saw the European diesels (mainly French and Italian) as an interesting alternative to the ignition engines of the time and brought them home.
Of course, Ray Arden introduced the glow-plug shortly after, but that is another story and another thread...
Yes that did happen as you say. Same reason why you can find quite some early OS ignition engines in the US.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Help needed - this is a very long shot I know, but does anyone have a spare "clack valve" for a FROG 149 Diesel ? I bought one of these rear induction engines practically un-run, but the thin, spring steel valve is rusted around the edges. These valves are about 5/8 in. diam. and are ground to a knife edge, so as soon as I tried to remove the rust, the edge starting going into serrations. Any help appreciated ! Thanks, BOB
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Twin-Stack, I'm not familiar with the "clack valve". If it is anything like a reed valve, perhaps one from a Cox would fit. The first Cox.15 has a fair sized reed valve that could perhaps be cut to fit?
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Twin-Stack, I'm not familiar with the "clack valve". If it is anything like a reed valve, perhaps one from a Cox would fit. The first Cox.15 has a fair sized reed valve that could perhaps be cut to fit?
John, this is the engine in question. BOB
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:21 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Scarce little sucker !
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:43 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,034 Posts
Quote:
Help needed - this is a very long shot I know, but does anyone have a spare "clack valve" for a FROG 149 Diesel ? I bought one of these rear induction engines practically un-run, but the thin, spring steel valve is rusted around the edges. These valves are about 5/8 in. diam. and are ground to a knife edge, so as soon as I tried to remove the rust, the edge starting going into serrations. Any help appreciated ! Thanks, BOB
I figure the Frog reed valves are raised to "hen's teeth" level these days...although wonders still happen...

Another option would be making your own valve. Sheet brass would probably work...many clack valves were made of this material (e.g. Enya 06D etc..).
However if you cut it out, the brass would most likely get distorted by the cutting, losing its "flatness"....
Instead of cutting, I'm thinking of etching out the shape, in the same way as etching circuit boards etc...that would eliminate distortion...
Now I haven't done this myself......just thinking out loud...

-----------------------------------------------------

The KO .049 looks nice....slightly reminding of the early Webra Piccolo....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Sep 23, 2011 at 05:53 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:27 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Gluehand, I think a replacement for the Frog "clack valve" would have to be made from spring steel, as the original is quite rigid. This means that the whole valve is free to move forward under the negative pressure from the crankcase when the piston is rising. The reed valve (usually made from beryllium copper or similar) tends to be quite flexible, and even though retained by a circlip, can "bulge" in the middle to allow fuel mix to enter. BOB