HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:43 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
while not a fan of repros, i have to say this guys engines look amazing

i do wish they were marked as such on a main part like the mount or back of case
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:12 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
just says the item is old, but that Valentine is not the manufacturer...
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:14 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,150 Posts
Well I think he carefully worded the description, note the "Valentine OS MAx .15 D" part. I think he customized it.
It is really well done and probably runs better than the original does.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:23 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,387 Posts
The listing descriptions gives no indication of how that engine got to be the way it is. I guarantee it's his work. A while back he sold a Taifun Orkan as new. Nobody seemed to notice that the screws were all changed to SHCS, while the original obviously had slotted. That didn't stop the price from being ridiculous.

The man has talent. Why not be straight forward about what is being sold?
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:41 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
The listing descriptions gives no indication of how that engine got to be the way it is. I guarantee it's his work. A while back he sold a Taifun Orkan as new. Nobody seemed to notice that the screws were all changed to SHCS, while the original obviously had slotted. That didn't stop the price from being ridiculous.

The man has talent. Why not be straight forward about what is being sold?

100 percent agreed, his talents are great and many of his engines are well known repros and such but maybe its a engine he built for himself?
maybe his assistant is just not great with words?
who knows! all i know is im sure it will be a great item for the one who gets it and that person will treasure it
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 27, 2011, 03:16 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Well OS did use the stronger more heavy duty crankcase to make a more powerful glow engine. You can read Adrian Duncan's review above about it. So one could convert that particular design back to diesel. The smaller weaker bushed .15 would not last ten minutes if you ran it as a diesel.
Ok I missed the fact that Valentine has the engine, so that means he might have anodized the head or made one. I don't know if he would make the cylinder sleeve for it, but he is good and machining stuff though. The problem is Valentine would normally say if it is a reproduction or if me made parts for it. So I don't know.
I am pretty convinced that Ronald did do the anodising on this engine, the OS factory would'nt have done this for just one engine if they did do custom work at all ? I remember having read somewhere that the diesel was not very good (too large an intake ??) hence their rarity now since it did not stay on the market very long as I explained in some previous quote concerning the reasons for an engine's rarity. No good ment back to the modelshop, the owner sending them engines back to the dealer etcetera. Here's a picture of the OS diesel I have.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:29 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Well OS did use the stronger more heavy duty crankcase to make a more powerful glow engine. You can read Adrian Duncan's review above about it. So one could convert that particular design back to diesel. The smaller weaker bushed .15 would not last ten minutes if you ran it as a diesel.
Ok I missed the fact that Valentine has the engine, so that means he might have anodized the head or made one. I don't know if he would make the cylinder sleeve for it, but he is good and machining stuff though. The problem is Valentine would normally say if it is a reproduction or if me made parts for it. So I don't know.
Earl remember that I ran the weaker bushed 0S15 glow as a Diesel, in Post Number 1962 , and it didnt last 10 minutes it lasted around 6 flights , crank wise , thats about 30 minutes, and the power with its baffle piston was good or better than my FP15 glow on the same 8.5x5 prop I like it , although it has a 6mm contra piston in now , its not fixed compression , any more
NX-687 is online now Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Jul 27, 2011, 06:49 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,150 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot about it. I was thinking that you had the real OS 15D engine and was having crank problems with it.
Ok so the old bushed engine would last maybe 30 minutes then.

The problem with the baffle on the piston is that it tends to lead to pre-ignition or detonation as it starts to act like a glow plug when the engine is running. The baffle probably starts to get red hot. So usually the engine designers avoid using a baffled piston in their diesel engines. Now it doens't mean that one can't get it to work OK, one just has to be aware of it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:18 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
This diesel was made by a Mr or firm called Trmac from Brno and of 6,6cc.
Completely hand filed from solid, probably at a time when we could go out and buy a little Myford or Atlas in our countries..... And it's got terrific compression
with that feel that only dieselheads can understand. It is tought to be the prototype for the Heran 7cc V Twin diesel from Czechoslovakia. See if I can find
that Model Engine World magazine and scan it.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:26 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Got it. Model Engine World Aug/Oct 2000 back cover
But ther's another MEW where my engine is depicted along
some comment from John. I still miss that magazine and John
is a nice chap but have'nt seen or heard him for years.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Some more reading on Paul Bugl, again thanks to MEW
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:51 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
P Bugl
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:56 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
P Bugl
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:12 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
This diesel was made by a Mr or firm called Trmac from Brno and of 6,6cc.
Completely hand filed from solid, probably at a time when we could go out and buy a little Myford or Atlas in our countries..... And it's got terrific compression
with that feel that only dieselheads can understand. It is tought to be the prototype for the Heran 7cc V Twin diesel from Czechoslovakia. See if I can find
that Model Engine World magazine and scan it.
Wow, hand filing the crankcase, That is awesome. That is some great work there by whoever did it. My hat is off to them. well Done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,759 Posts
Quote:
Wow, hand filing the crankcase, That is awesome. That is some great work there by whoever did it. My hat is off to them. well Done.
Yes those Czech modellers have always been very clever. Reminds me a story I was told by John Goodall about Jan Garcic, there's a geared V-Twin of him on my site, he first had to build his lathe at home before he could start making those wonderfull engines, Pretty sure he worked in some metal-processing firm where material could be obtained and made but still. I do not know anyone over here in this kingdom having done that. But then remember that the Nazi's speculated on the technology they could take over when they invaded the Czech. Another story is from a period when I was rebuilding a Morgan Threewheeler beetle-back 1100cc Jap dog-eared watercooled driven little monster. Went alot to old blighty for parts. I remember one guy's father, making model engines and, typically, yes there it was, the old garden shed, inside was a gentleman making something on a threadlle lathe, that is, you make the machine turn with a foot pedal ala them old sewing machines. My dear gone friend Harry often told me : 'it's not the machine but the man behind it'. Still have the 4/4 Super Sports but the trike is somewhere in Germany. That Jap nearly broke my arm once.
Imagine hand cranking an 1100cc V-twin, forgot to use the valve-lifter....