Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
Details of the Bugl can be seen here.

http://modelenginenews.org/cardfile/gp2.html

Greg
If I can find the time today I will open up both the Bugl and the HP and take pictures of that bell valve
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:55 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
If I can find the time today I will open up both the Bugl and the HP and take pictures of that bell valve
Here are the Bugl and HP pictures
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:59 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Here are the Bugl and HP pictures
Bugl
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:02 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Bugl
By the way notice that the HP does have a gasket and the Bugl does not
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:21 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
By the way notice that the HP does have a gasket and the Bugl does not
And finally, have a look at Google page one 'Letter to Model Engine World' by
Luis Petersen and even better on page two : Paul Bugl Reocities
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:24 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
And finally, have a look at Google page one 'Letter to Model Engine World' by
Luis Petersen and even better on page two : Paul Bugl Reocities
The difference in manufacturing of both engines did have something to do with the fall-out between HP and Paul Bugl
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:29 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
The difference in manufacturing of both engines did have something to do with the fall-out between HP and Paul Bugl
Another Bugl
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:31 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
Reggie, you made a comment earlier that one of the photos appeared to show a Valentine replica Bugl. Can you clarify? I don't like anything Valentine, but that's my own opinion.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:58 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Reggie, you made a comment earlier that one of the photos appeared to show a Valentine replica Bugl. Can you clarify? I don't like anything Valentine, but that's my own opinion.

Greg
That comment was from Earl with pics of a replica
It was'nt me
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,868 Posts
Quote:

Greg
I was looking for a pic of the Bugl engine and the Valentine replica was the only one I could find at the time. I was only asking if Reggie's engine looked like it or not. Reggie was on vacation then and wasn't going to be taking pics soon. Anyway I was wondering what they used the exhaust port fuel fitting for on a engine that didn't have a muffler.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gun View Post
John, the intake on the Bugyl was his unique bell valve. It was a very thin walled drum that was fixed to the crank pin for drive and location and fitted over the backplate where that extended into the engine. The bell had a timing hole through which the fuel/air mix passed into the engine. The clearances from the backplate were very small and a special tool was needed for assembly of the engine so that the bell did not touch anything. I hope that is understandable. BTW The little end of the conrod is also very clever and unique in its design.

Charlie
Yes that's why I did not care to unscrew the bell for more detailed inside pics
altough I think I would simply have to turn a precisely fitting alu or steel tube
to slide in between the bell outside and the case wall. I seem to remember having read somewhere about this clever little end of the conrod, think it was milled away abit, but as stated earlier I do not like to dismantle the engine entirely. But there must be pictures of that design somewhere....
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:03 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
But is it really a replica? I often see Valentine selling new looking engines, not listed as new, or refurbished, or anything. Often parts appear to be replaced, remade, or otherwise made to appear new. Parts are re-anodized, and screws replaced. Would he really go as far as a single Bugl replica? The crankcase looks original, but like most of his engines, machined parts look "new". I seem to recall a fairly battered, maybe even missing the front end, Bugl sold on Ebay a while back. Back when Ebay showed the names of buyers it was interesting how many beat up engines were purchased by one of his many aliases given new life and sold under one of his recognizable handles on Ebay.

Just where does one find a 60 year old engine that looks like it came off the assembly floor, sometimes better?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,295 Posts
Quote:
I seem to remember having read somewhere about this clever little end of the conrod, think it was milled away abit, but as stated earlier I do not like to dismantle the engine entirely. But there must be pictures of that design somewhere....
You can see photos in the link I posted earlier.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 02:21 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
But is it really a replica? I often see Valentine selling new looking engines, not listed as new, or refurbished, or anything. Often parts appear to be replaced, remade, or otherwise made to appear new. Parts are re-anodized, and screws replaced. Would he really go as far as a single Bugl replica? The crankcase looks original, but like most of his engines, machined parts look "new". I seem to recall a fairly battered, maybe even missing the front end, Bugl sold on Ebay a while back. Back when Ebay showed the names of buyers it was interesting how many beat up engines were purchased by one of his many aliases given new life and sold under one of his recognizable handles on Ebay.

Just where does one find a 60 year old engine that looks like it came off the assembly floor, sometimes better?
valentine usually makes 10 engine and 5 engine runs on replicas

ive seen a few engines REFURBISHED by him also start at one of my ebay accounts and get nearly 100 percent fully restored by his in house team or himself (however its done)

in some cases ive seen id pay more for his refurbished engines than a nos engine

im not a fan of his replicas either
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 20, 2011, 07:17 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
valentine usually makes 10 engine and 5 engine runs on replicas

ive seen a few engines REFURBISHED by him also start at one of my ebay accounts and get nearly 100 percent fully restored by his in house team or himself (however its done)

in some cases ive seen id pay more for his refurbished engines than a nos engine

im not a fan of his replicas either
I do not know if Ronald did make some Bugl replica, I would rather think it is one of those engines that were made in Czechoslovakia in the early 90'ies, those I do remember because I bought one when Danny and myself did visit one of those Meca gatherings organised by Holger Menradt in Germany, there were even two different models to choose from and they really did look the part. And did'nt Arne Hende have some made as well ? I swapped or sold that engine to another collector here called Dennis Van Opstal, difficult to contact Dennis, he's a very reclusive person, does not have a phone let alone a PC but with a very large collection.