HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:03 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,333 Posts
I think they used to use something like that with the Drone engines. They typically used a 11x10 prop to get the speed up for CL stunt too. They used 10x12 props as well as some 10x10 props too. The engine runs with props from 14x6 down to a 10x10 size. But the larger props are probably more suitable for free flight though. The engines peak out at around 7,500 RPMs, as they tend to be a bit flow restricted. But some early ads had it peaking out as high as 12,000 RPM, but I have no idea how they got one to rev up that high if the advertisement was accurate. Now a magazine reviewer in the UK way back in 1949 did a engine review and successfully flew a 8 foot wing span free flight plane with the Drone engine too.

It is a .29 engine so planes for that displacement size range ought to work fine. It doesn't rev up like the regular .29 glow engines, but it turns larger props easily. Back in 1947,48,49 the engine was very popular and won numerous contests then glow engines started to beat it out. At the time the igniton engines weren't doing very well as control line engines as the spark engines weren't really designed to run for more than 20 to 30 seconds for free flight planes. Too many things to go wrong with the ignition system in the plane too. Plus some engines almost wore their ignition points out in a minute of run time.

I forgot to mention that the exhaust stack is on the left side as they side mounted the engine on a lot of planes and they thought that would help keep dirt out of the engine like that. But on the bushed crank engines, one can take a new engine and run the exhaust on the right side, by turning the top cylinder half around and flipping the piston around too. There is a intake step or notch on the piston that corresponds to the intake port.

Ok the Dronette CL plane had a wingspan of 35.5 inches. The Hot-Rock came in three sizes a unknown, 38 inch and a 44 inch version.
ref http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/vintage.htm

This old advertisement shows some of the planes they used to fly with the engines. There ought to be plans out there someplace for the planes in this advertisement. I'll take a look later.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jul 06, 2011 at 12:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:00 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,685 Posts
Earl, now if only we could get fuel at $1/qt, or even $10/qt.
And wood props at $0.35.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Hey Earl, thanks for posting that scan. I'm going to keep a copy with my Drone Stuff.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:35 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,333 Posts
Well, $1.00 US in 1948 works out to be around $9.48 at present. So it really hasn't been all that cheap even way back then. Davis Diesel Fuel sells for $12.49 from Tower Hobbies so it is only a little cheaper than what it cost you back in 1948.
A 35 cent prop would be around $3.28 today.
The engine sold for $14.95 back then and now it would sell for around $140.17. Way back then $14.95 was a pretty hefty price for a engine at the time.

I remember in the late 1950's seeing tract houses for sale at $9.995.00 US. That was around $77,600.00 today.
Of course they used to have gas wars too, where gasoline was being sold at $0.19 a gallon. That is around $1.48 today, so now that was a good deal back then.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Hey Earl, thanks for posting that scan. I'm going to keep a copy with my Drone Stuff.
I won't take credit for the pic, it came from here http://modelenginenews.org/ad/drone.html
he has a great article about the Drone engines and nostalgia pics etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:37 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Well, $1.00 US in 1948 works out to be around $9.48 at present. So it really hasn't been all that cheap even way back then. Davis Diesel Fuel sells for $12.49 from Tower Hobbies so it is only a little cheaper than what it cost you back in 1948.
A 35 cent prop would be around $3.28 today.
The engine sold for $14.95 back then and now it would sell for around $140.17. Way back then $14.95 was a pretty hefty price for a engine at the time.

I remember in the late 1950's seeing tract houses for sale at $9.995.00 US. That was around $77,600.00 today.
Of course they used to have gas wars too, where gasoline was being sold at $0.19 a gallon. That is around $1.48 today, so now that was a good deal back then.
my uncle tells me about days where he would be able to buy a engine, fuel, glue, wood and tissue all for less than 5 bucks!
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:39 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Just saw a livable 1100 sq ft house in the city of Flint for $2250. That's right, twenty two hundred fifty dollars. It's not in the best neighborhood but it's not nearly the worst either.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:41 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
I won't take credit for the pic, it came from here http://modelenginenews.org/ad/drone.html
he has a great article about the Drone engines and nostalgia pics etc.
I read that piece before I bought mine. It's a big part of why I wanted it... that and it's black and gold.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 05:55 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Just saw a livable 1100 sq ft house in the city of Flint for $2250. That's right, twenty two hundred fifty dollars. It's not in the best neighborhood but it's not nearly the worst either.
But isn't that where no one could live as the unemployment is so high?
The looters and scavengers probably have already stripped it bare.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:00 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
you can get the plumbing and wiring done yourself in a house that size for under 4000$ bucks
there are some great deal on a air force base that was close in mi also
great street names like air cobra st and liberator drive
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 06, 2011, 07:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
But isn't that where no one could live as the unemployment is so high?
The looters and scavengers probably have already stripped it bare.
I live near there in a small town just to the south. My house is worth about a hundred times that and if it were in other parts of the country maybe 2-3 times more than even that. It's a funny world we live in these days.....

Oh, it wasn't stripped. In some places not so far away from here it would be easily worth 10-20 times that.

Anyway... back to our regularly scheduled program.
Old Jul 07, 2011, 02:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Unusual to find an Engine Test in the French language - it seems they liked it too ! BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 07, 2011, 05:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And more from ze French magazine - I presume that this photo shows the difference between the first model Drabant (with the two freestanding head bolts) and the second model with the head bolts inletted into the liner to prevent turning. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 07, 2011, 07:47 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,333 Posts
wow, if anyone wanted to make a cylinder the hard way with lots of precision machining, I think they won the contest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2011, 09:08 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,685 Posts
Machining the cylinder, how much work is involved?

Here's the Indian 2.5 cc previously posted.
Though not as complicated as the above, there is a fair amount of work here.
Four, not three transfer ports, and exhausts,and
threads to screw the cylinder in.
Surprisingly, the cylinder/piston fit is excellent, lots of compression. Probably the best part of this particular diesel.

Remember the first DC Rapier had 4 ports, then the next three "newer" versions went to using one less port to save a little work. The three port version had a little less power.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R