SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:35 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,372 Posts
Nice coloured engines

everytime I see an engine like that , I want to fly controline in say a Mercury Picador , flying wing or a Toreador , for 15 's
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,543 Posts
AM engines

Another series of posts that took me back down memory lane. I had all of the AM diesels, the very first one was one of the early 2.5s, this was the first of the series to be introduced and the cylinder head of the early ones was a different shape, not parallel but more rounded. I had the 1.5 in a Picador, the 3.5 in a Toreador, a later parallel head 2.5 in a Pedro and the 1 cc in a scaled down Razor Blade - all C/L. Later when I got into contest F/F I used the 2.5 and 3.5 in Dixielanders, the 3.5/Dixie combination was a very effective model, easy to trim and with an excellent climb, only bettered when I obtained my first Cox TD15 glow motor.

The AM motors were good, consistent performers, good power-weight ratio and rugged. Like many diesels they could be a bit "snappy" to start, especially when hot, but they were certainly excellent value for money.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:59 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,484 Posts
Allen, thanks for the picture. When time permits, how about each engine by itself, top, front, side, back, etc...many...
specs?, props used...
We always like pictures and may get other users to tell us about their experience.
Thanks.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:48 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Just got the plan for Toreador, a missed opportunity of youth, and it is Big! for a 2.5 C/L. Good looking though, I think; I built the Picador for the AM15 (which my son is now installing in his Phantom), after 45 years, so yeah, good value for money!
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:09 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
AM Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Allen, thanks for the picture. When time permits, how about each engine by itself, top, front, side, back, etc...many...
specs?, props used...
We always like pictures and may get other users to tell us about their experience.
Thanks.
John
John, I would like to oblige but that picture came on another internet source. I only own the 2.5cc Blackhead so will see what I can do with that one at least. Have a few smaller diesels which I have collected over time and have been enjoying getting back to them with my vintage flying. Nothing to compare to the smell of a diesel! Even have an old Ohlsson 23 spark ignition engine which I hope to use at some stage. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
Just got the plan for Toreador, a missed opportunity of youth, and it is Big! for a 2.5 C/L. Good looking though, I think; I built the Picador for the AM15 (which my son is now installing in his Phantom), after 45 years, so yeah, good value for money!
Yes, the Toreador was quite a meaty aeroplane, as I said I had the AM35 in mine and it used to go like stink. It might not be quite so lively with a 25. Another, very similar but rather less beefy model which several of my clubmates flew with the AM25 was the Keil Kraft Talon.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,164 Posts
I've been flying an AM 25 on a Big Fry, a Ron Prentice design. I just noticed the other day that the piston skirt completely clears the exhaust ports at top dead center. About as much sub piston induction as one can imagine.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
2 AM 35's - note that some had a shiny case (for the US market ?) but most were matt finished. Also the difference in the cylinder muff around the exhaust ports. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:52 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
were the am engines ever replicated or cloned, mine has no marking at all, all i have seen were marked
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,484 Posts
ZERO, here's the link to your AM question.

http://www.modelenginenews.org/index.html

The AM35 is the largest in the range of four engines designed by Dennis Allen for Mercury Models in England during the 1950's (AM = Allen-Mercury). The range comprised the AM10, AM15, AM25 and AM35 where the numeric component of the designation represented the capacity in cc's, multiplied by ten. Thus the "10" (green head) is a 1cc engine, the "15" (blue head) a 1.5cc, etc. The designs can properly be considered as two pairings of engines with a common crankcase and crankshaft, having interchangable cylinder/piston assemblies to provide the 1/1.5 and 2.5/3.5 capacity models
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROSKIN76 View Post
were the am engines ever replicated or cloned, mine has no marking at all, all i have seen were marked
I think maybe the Aurora Company in India ended up with the tooling & dies for both the FROG and AM engines. I have seen photo's of some of their engines, and they could be passed off as either a FROG or AM. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:45 PM
kill your idols
utica new york
Joined May 2009
1,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
I think maybe the Aurora Company in India ended up with the tooling & dies for both the FROG and AM engines. I have seen photo's of some of their engines, and they could be passed off as either a FROG or AM. BOB
im guessing i have an aurora then still got it cheap and it will look great on shelf!
ZEROSKIN76 is offline Find More Posts by ZEROSKIN76
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:10 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Am 25

Ok, here's a couple of shots of my AM 25. Yes, it is dirty but it is old! Despite its age, it has very good compression and I may use it one day in a vintage model. Gave my finger a good belt when starting. They were known for this and a chicken stick is advised!
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jul 03, 2011, 11:49 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've never seen a Toreador (no surprise there, being out in the Colonies) but a good friend of mine showed me that a Ringmonster, properly built, will work fine with a 2.5 diesel. I put in hundreds and hundreds of flights with mine: replaces much of the kit wood, finished very lightly, one-wheel gear, etc. A buddy has it now, it is still flying, and that model is nearly 40 years old!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:25 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
T, here's the Toreador, with an image also of the smaller Picador (similar construction)...good phliars both.
We have quite a few Toreadors in Toronto!
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Last edited by Chas; Jul 04, 2011 at 01:31 AM.