HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:04 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,753 Posts
Guizzo, see page 84, post # 1249 for fuel.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...054975&page=84

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:22 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Guizzo, see page 84, post # 1249 for fuel.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...054975&page=84

John
..and I can confirm that the starting fluid/kerosene (paraffin/lamp oil) / castor mix works well!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Jun 23, 2011, 12:21 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Mills engines were never known as screamers, and few 3rd-port engines ever are. However, they have the happy ability to run slowly either way, just the thing for your Seibel...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,513 Posts
Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
..and I can confirm that the starting fluid/kerosene (paraffin/lamp oil) / castor mix works well!
sparks
At what mixtures is that? , and how much ether does the surestart have in it , , I have used some surestart stuff that had 25% ether , and it worked but I heated the motor with LPG torch , and a little hard to start too

Im having a rest from my OS Diesel , my finger is healing , and thinking about my Silver Swallow 09 ,its hard to start , cant tell whether its worn out or not

Guizzo that is a nice motor
NX-687 is online now Find More Posts by NX-687
Last edited by NX-687; Jun 23, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2007
530 Posts
Thank you all mates! I'll test the philtre someday
Guizzo 17 is offline Find More Posts by Guizzo 17
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687 View Post
At what mixtures is that? , and how much ether does the surestart have in it , , I have used some surestart stuff that had 25% ether , and it worked but I heated the motor with LPG torch , and a little hard to start too

Im having a rest from my OS Diesel , my finger is healing , and thinking about my Silver Swallow 09 ,its hard to start , cant tell whether its worn out or not

Guizzo that is a nice motor
I used HEET starting fluid, its the only one I have seen in the UAE, no idea the percentage of ether. Mixed at 33.3, ie thirds with lamp oil and castor. It worked well for me, starting my old PAW 1.49 almost immediately after its last run in 1974. The DC Super Merlin took longer, but it was always a dog to start!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Last edited by sparks59; Jun 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Hello,

My first diesel ever was a Webra 1.5 cc 'Record', of the '1953-59' version with beam/radial mount....just like the one seen below...

I recall my dad bringing it home, I think 1958, as he thought I needed a 'real' engine to follow my first stumbling steps with a McCoy .049 Glo...
A test bench was rigged up against the white plastered wall of my granny's house. Eventually, after some 'diesel flick' practising, said wall had a huge blurred spot right behind the testbench....pink stained, by a mix of Castor and Gluehand's DNA.... (...those white nylon props were razor sharp...)
Practise gave results though, and the Webra proved to be a very good engine, a 'last-forever', hadn't I eventually snapped its crankshaft in a serious C/L crash, and the remaining parts dissapearing in a house move...

Strangely, through the years, I haven't been able to find another example of the right version - until just recently...a used but undamaged example, with the anodizing slightly faded...just like I remember my original one...how could I resist that..?

Now to my question:
The contra-piston on this example is slightly on the 'loose' side....there IS a friction though, but I could press the C/P down with my thumb, and there is very little resistance felt in the comp.lever...it might work, but slightly more friction wouldn't hurt, I figure...
I have heard of expanding C/P's by heating to glow....is this a 'myth', or does the metal really not revert back to its former dimension...?
Any other known (safe) methods...?

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jun 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I have heard of expanding C/P's by heating to glow....is this a 'myth', or does the metal really not revert back to its former dimension...?
Any other known (safe) methods...? [/QUOTE]

Gluehand, I have tried to "grow" pistons by the "Cherry Bombing" method on several different glow engines, but have had no success at all. My opinion is that - if that method DID work at all, it would only be on a new engine that hasn't already been heat cycled, and still had "green" metal. The one time I did measure an increase was only because some scale had formed on the outside of the piston. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
The one time I did measure an increase was only because some scale had formed on the outside of the piston.
Yep, I feel that this is what we could expect from this method, no more.....personally I feel doubt, hence my question...
Thanks for your input!

A club-mate sent his C/P for copper plating (electrolythic)....I was told this remedy was successful.....now, this may be an option....

Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,605 Posts
Is there room to cut a groove in the C/P for a viton O-ring?
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:58 AM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Is there room to cut a groove in the C/P for a viton O-ring?
Yes, I figure there is room enough to fit a ring of some kind...I'll keep this in mind...thanks for the tip..

Another input:
Just a couple of hours ago, I had a phone call from a veteran aeromodeller, who claimed that the "cherry bombing" method works well, and he had done this successfully more than once, on ordinary pistons, no C/P's though...
I was just warned not to overdo the heating, as the expansion could be too large for the microscopic expansion that's required in my case... He recommended quenching in green brake fluid.....

....now leaning back, pondering......
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ...forgot about the brake fluid...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:02 PM
Joined Sep 2008
3,038 Posts
'Star' ...anyone..?

Recently I spoke to a person who has some NOS engine parts in his stash...he mentioned a few bags marked "Star", an engine he didn't recognise or remember....
When asking me if I had heard of this engine, I instantly replied 'no'....then 'mmm...YES', as a very old and well hidden memory started to materialize...

My memory of the 'Star' has to come from one of the catalogues (SEMO or Wentzels) that I used to drool over as a kid.
Unfortunately my present library of old catalogues is limited, and browsing the 1953 and 1959 issues didn't give anything.... consequently, the 'Star' must have been sold here somewhere between those years...probably short lived...(was it a 'junk' engine..?)

I have a blurry memory of a quite attractive engine of (maybe) 2.5 cc...

The nationality of this engine is unknown to me, but I feel it may be German (or East German..)...or I may be entirely wrong here...
Whether 'Star' is an independant brand name or a subname, I don't know...

When googling, I found a finished German auction of a 'Star', with no further facts available....that's all...

I know, this is tricky, but maybe someone out here knows......

Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Another input:
Just a couple of hours ago, I had a phone call from a veteran aeromodeller, who claimed that the "cherry bombing" method works well, and he had done this successfully more than once, on ordinary pistons, no C/P's though...
I was just warned not to overdo the heating, as the expansion could be too large for the microscopic expansion that's required in my case... He recommended quenching in green brake fluid.....
Gluehand, maybe its possible to gain a slight increase in a Diesel for a couple of reasons - firstly, Diesel's tend to have much more metal in the piston than glow engines do, and secondly, Diesel's run at lower temperatures. One of the glow engine pistons I attempted to "grow" had a very thin piston skirt, which promptly split right up one side when heated. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Jun 2011
64 Posts
I have used the heat to red and quench in old engine oil method several times with success. It produces more growth on some pistons than others and can easily result in a need to lap the piston down a bit to get it back in the bore. I have not done this with contra pistons, but instead have used a method attributed to Gordon Burford. That is to put the contra piston face up on a solid unyielding surface (like anvil or block of steel), with another small bit of steel in the recess that the operating screw pushes on. Rest a large ball bearing in the centre of the contra piston face and tap the ball ever so lightly with a large hammer - let a 2lb hammer fall from say 3 inches above the ball just under its own weight. DON'T haul off and bash it. Do that once then try the contra for size and if not tight enough repeat the performance. I have done this many times successfully and have only had one failure when I had the contra piston of an Amco 3.5 fall in half ( If I had known in advance how brittle it was, I would have annealed or cherry bombed that one) As it was I had to just make a new contra piston.
Charlie
2gun is offline Find More Posts by 2gun
Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:16 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
664 Posts
I'll second the ball bearing method.
I had one perfect success - DC Wildcat.
... and one complete failure - Taplin Twin - 3 pieces!
At least it gave me the reason to try the contra psiton method by David Owen available on Ron's mdoel engine site.
Basically the idea its to use a very thin walled contra (1/32") with a 1 degree incuded taper. Works like a charm!
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B