HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:44 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
NX-687, pre heating the diesel fuel may be a big help. In addition to the head unit, you could also pass a line through the exhaust area/muffler.

There are a few posts on the KMD further back. Mine is used; was purchased from a modeler who used it in U/C stunt. This diesel seems to be well made and very smooth, maybe just the luck of the draw.

John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
NX-687, I have been playing around with the MARZ 2.5cc diesel engines. They must have made jillions of the things. The screws need replacing as they are too soft and the bearings are typically not good either, but easy to replace. The engines run about the same as the other 2.5cc or .15 engines do. They turn RPMs similar to what the .15 glow engines turn.
Some history: http://modelenginenews.org/ad/marz.html
and a thread here too http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10332729/tm.htm

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:53 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,887 Posts
Shopping report

Today I visited an aeromodelling swap meet....unfortunately not even these events are what they used to be, as they seem to share the same tendency as the modelling magazines, not to mention the hobby shops...i.e. an increasing amount of ARF's, RTF's, electronics, etc, at the cost of the 'real' stuff that's cheering up us 'oldies'....

There were however a couple of 'junk bins' to dig through, so the trip wasn't entirely in vain......the catch was a bit meagre though, but I'm quite happy anyway....

A 'new' but shop soiled Graupner 6x3 - just the right running-in prop for my Schlosser 0.25 cc (report to come...)

An original exhaust mainfold for ED Bee MkII...this is almost in the "rocking horse" cathegory these days, so I am quite pleased......cheap it was too...

A ratchet spring for carb. needle, of unknown make...with a slight modification, it might fit my Engel Rebell (also a report to come, eventually)

A couple of C/L bellcranks, old school steel type. (I'm slowly progressing towards a C/L revival, haven't held a handle since 1964 or thereabout..)

On top of this, it was also a pleasant outing in the sunny weather....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,550 Posts
Gluehand, not to mention "hard to find" items, mine being commercial diesel fuel, but have you noticed that small props are becoming scarce?
Sig dope is no longer available by the gallon.
Many "substitute" paints are harder to find.
Even good indoor rubber is not what it used to be and is harder to find.
Even good light balsa is harder to find, and so on, and so on...
And the younger guys wonder why we collect all the old "junk". For better or worse, I've got enough "junk" and old "stuff" to more than last me....but it still keeps coming in.
Why a friend of mine was "house cleaning" (aka the Grand Wizard) and throwing out his "old stuff". I reached into his "garbage can" and pulled out an old Irvine Q.40 box.
He said he didn't want it, or any of the "stuff' he was throwing away. Guess what, inside was the motor...all intact...oiled, and wrapped up! Perfect for me.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
have you noticed that small props are becoming scarce?
Yes, I certainly have.....meaning that these props should be 'grabbed when spotted' if you run small engines...

(In may stashes, I also found a few old Mantua wooden props, 6x3 & 6x4 + an odd 7x3 (!) , that I will take good care of...)

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Sig dope is no longer available by the gallon.
Many "substitute" paints are harder to find.
Even good indoor rubber is not what it used to be and is harder to find.
Even good light balsa is harder to find, and so on, and so on...
Yeah...the 'market' has turned its spotlight in other directions, leaving us 'oldies' in the shadow, or at least semi-shadow....we just have to face the fact that we have to be even more 'squirrely', and also support the few good sources that are left...

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
I've got enough "junk" and old "stuff" to more than last me....but it still keeps coming in.
That's a positive thing......whether it's outlasting us or not isn't that important...this way a lot of 'good' stuff will be saved from the scrapyard for another generation or so....and if we do our lesson by documenting what we've got (even in a simple way), we also, hopefully, save the 'junk' from future ignorance even since we've got caught by the Great Thermal....

Last edited by Gluehand; Apr 17, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,405 Posts
Thanks

Pictures and comments , am of on holidays , will get back , to Diesels
Before I buy one Im concerned about weight the KMD is very heavy compared to my plain bearing OS 15
By the wayit has a lot of power when it hits tune , but Im getting blockages from my old tank , muck , dirt , I need a hot filter
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Last edited by NX-687; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Add
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,405 Posts
John

Thanks for the nice pictures ,

I think I will go for the MARS 2.5,, they look like they have more problems than the KMD 2.5
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
Testing running one of my Marz 2.5cc engines.

Testing out my RC carb version Marz engine. I stuck on a Thunder Tiger GP .10 carb on a Marz engine. It works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:48 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
Testing running my 1947 vintage Drone .29 model diesel engine.
David Diesel fuel with extra castor oil added, and a 12x8 Master Airscrew Scimitar series prop.

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:09 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Test stands universal ,Ive only ever seen a couple available in Aust and none in the LHS in revent years, I wonder what has been available in the last 50 years ?.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:11 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
I know people have asked me from time to time, about the engine test stand that I use, but the guy who makes them has put one up for sale again on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ENGINE-TEST-STAN...item3366ede7b1

In the beginning, everyone used to mount the engine to something and test run it. Many engines tended to be a hassle to mount in any case. My Letmo 2.5cc replica is like that.

My first engine test stand was a EZ Just wood test stand. it was made of wood and good up to maybe a 40 to 60 size engine at the time. I think Top Flight, and Goldberg made them over the years. They made those test stand for who know how many years, 40 to 50 maybe. They used rock maple wood for the test stands, the rock maple is hard enough to machine like brass.

Tatone probably had the longest run on the cast aluminum metal stands. They go way back, I still have one that I bought maybe 25 or more years ago. For years it was mounted to the steel step bumper on my pickup truck, so I could use it anytime I needed to test run a engine.

J-Tec I think got into test stands more recently.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Apr 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,887 Posts
This is my EZ test stand, here used by clubmate Clas Floren, as he displays his homebuilt diesel. (he made this engine as a school project - the crankcase was sand cast in a flower pot )

The blue colour of the stand is not original...initially it was natural. I've used it for various engine sizes, up to .40 four-strokes...

Old Apr 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,961 Posts
Here is a cool classic, a Berkley 1/2a engine test stand or mount.

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2011, 04:55 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Just wanted to mentioned how this forum has linked around the world two modellers. I put in a general request (post 1906) for an Enya Crankcase. Around the other side of the world Gluehand dug one out of his 'store' (post 1911). This crankcase has now made the longest airbourne journey of its life and has now landed in NZ soon to be functioning once again as it was designed to be. Where else could this linkup have been made? Thank you Gluehand, I am one happy modeller.
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:33 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,561 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century. Today, that kind of stuff happens all the time. None the less, it's still very cool.

Cheers
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz