..'here's a dog buried'.....
Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:23 PM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
633 Posts
Hi Gluehand,
I'm pretty sure the Taplin 4 is a real one.
Ther's a picture of it P112 of the Model Aero Engine Encyclopedia by Ron Multon 1958 - rather before photoshop I think.
I also remember a photo or two in early 1950's Aeromodeller.
Warren B is online now Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Apr 03, 2011, 05:46 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
Ther's a picture of it P112 of the Model Aero Engine Encyclopedia by Ron Multon 1958 - rather before photoshop I think.
I also remember a photo or two in early 1950's Aeromodeller.
Aah...confirmed then...I'm relieved...the 'fog of doubt' has lifted...

It would be exiting to see (and hear) it running...and a thrill to adjust 4 comp. levers along with the single carb...

I wonder were this engine went, after the 2006 photo was taken....the article indicates it may have been auctioned to...somewhere...

Gluehand is online now Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Apr 03, 2011, 07:04 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
Gossie, that 52 Sorcerer at 11 oz should VTO way up there in 10 seconds. It has nice lines for a real floater. In a 30 oz sport R/C model, my Webra 1.5 had more than enough power to pull loops from level flight.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:24 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,471 Posts
A real beauty
RyanNX211 is online now Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:06 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,076 Posts
Hi I'm in the UK. Could I just ask does anyone know if there are any new small diesels being made or imported to the UK at the moment?
I know PAW are still going, but I was wondering about MP Jet and CS, small diesels under 1cc. PAWs seem a bit too revvy to me, maybe I'm wrong.
Having bought a few basket cases over the years I'd really like a new one that I can run in myself and know its been looked after on good juice.
Any ideas please?
I did receive one suggestion:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P-line-0-75cc-...item5d2e375dbf, anyone tried one?
Many thanks
Phil
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:18 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,535 Posts
Phil, welcome to this thread; in answer to your question, yes.
See a previous thread and post at-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384279,
or look on this diesel thread and you will find there are a few "new oldies" to be had.
CS makes quite a few.
I take it you are not looking on EBay? If you are, just remember that a "nib" may be just that, but it hasn't had oil in 40 years!
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:34 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,541 Posts
Well, as some of you may know, I'm fairly new to engine collecting. I've been posting in the glow engine thread but for some reason I'm most attracted to collecting the little diesels. Here is a pic of one that I just won last night on Ebay. Anything you may know about this little gem that you would like to pass along would be greatly appreciated. Here it is.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:42 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Anything you may know about this little gem that you would like to pass along would be greatly appreciated. Here it is.[/QUOTE]

Another very nice looking little engine, Mr. Wiz ! This one dates from 1954, and I think may have a neoprene O ring to seal the contra-piston. Is it locked up ? If so (and you want to free the contra-piston) we may have to devise a special method. On the one hand, the contra (not being so tightly fit as a metal to metal job) should be easy to knock out. On the other hand, the rubber sealing ring may well be perished and need replacing. But can we find another new one ? If you don't intend running it, then there's no problem. Maybe we have a McCoy Diesel expert here ? BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,391 Posts
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Well, as some of you may know, I'm fairly new to engine collecting. I've been posting in the glow engine thread but for some reason I'm most attracted to collecting the little diesels. Here is a pic of one that I just won last night on Ebay. Anything you may know about this little gem that you would like to pass along would be greatly appreciated. Here it is.
So nice , I would take the tank off the back and fly that on my C/L model on Saturday morning

To me a Diesel is not a Diesel unless it flies round in circles and crashes in to the ground , that's the way I use to do it when I was young
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
To me a Diesel is not a Diesel unless it flies round in circles and crashes in to the ground , that's the way I use to do it when I was young[/QUOTE]

God - Did you do that too !
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:10 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,541 Posts
Well like all of my wins previously I'm so excited about the purchase that I just have to post it here even before I get it. If it's locked, I'd like to free it up but this is for a collection and not to fly. If messing with freeing it up will ruin it's collectible value I'll just pass.

I'd love to buy one of those bigger twins I see people gobbling up but I just don't want to spend that much money on this just yet. Besides, I really love these little gems and I'm having a blast just getting them home. I saw a really nice little display case at the MECA booth in Toledo that I think I'll copy for myself.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:11 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687 View Post
So nice , I would take the tank off the back and fly that on my C/L model on Saturday morning

To me a Diesel is not a Diesel unless it flies round in circles and crashes in to the ground , that's the way I use to do it when I was young
For me it was cheap Cox and Testors 049 powered CL planes that I bought in the toy department of the local K-Mart store. I don't have a single Cox or Testors engine now and I don't intend to get any either. I hated those things.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,391 Posts
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
God - Did you do that too ![/QUOTE]

Twin Stack
Isnt that what you do now , I do it almost every weekend , when I can get out

Im a bit repulsed by the extreme mess of 30% castor,,,,,,, but oh well thats a part of it , when its mixed with dirt and grass ,yuck,,but that is where the real aero modelling is done
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Apr 04, 2011, 08:23 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,541 Posts
Real aeromodeling is done wherever you find it. For me it's a 2Kw electric powered pattern plane.... and collecting these little pieces of man jewelery called model airplane engines.