Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:33 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Diesel starting for beginners.

Over on the glow plug thread, the discussion turned to small Diesel's, and I wrote of the difficulties that a learner might face. Rather than try to re-invent the wheel myself, here's a good article on the subject. One point that I would like to emphasize here (from an engine collectors viewpoint) is that when this article first appeared (in the mid-1950's) all the available engines would have been pretty much "factory fresh", and the problem of frozen parts (especially contra-pistons) would not have been applicable. BOB
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Same engine - 2 different testers.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
... that 2.5 Blizzard is really a neat little engine....
I used a Blizzard in a Top Flite Peacemaker controliner. The report is true to my experience: a nice looking engine which handled well and flew the plane quite pleasantly.
However, the vibration was indeed awful
I had flown other models before with a Jaguar 2.5cc, a Mk1 Taifun Rasant of also 2.5cc, and a 1cc Taifun Hobby. None of them did nearly vibrate like the Blizzard.
I soon replaced it with a Super Tigre which was a much better engine in my opinion.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
I had flown other models before with a Jaguar 2.5cc, a Mk1 Taifun Rasant of also 2.5cc, and a 1cc Taifun Hobby. [/QUOTE]

The little Taifun Hobby Mk. 1 seems to be quite collectable, even in its Country of origin. It may surprise our European friends to learn that, way back in the 1950's an Australian company made a kit of a small C/L trainer, called the Montgomery Models "Tiger". On the plan, it showed a Mk. 1 Taifun Hobby, which they must have been importing at the time also. Didn't they all have black heads originally ? BOB
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
...On the plan, it showed a Mk. 1 Taifun Hobby, which they must have been importing at the time also. Didn't they all have black heads originally ? BOB
Yes, black head for all Taifun Hobby versions. Rasant: blue, Tornado: red, Hurrikan: green, Zyklon: purple.

Some seven years ago, my first purchase on the auction site was a lot of parts from Germany.
I looked and looked at the photographs, counted and recounted the parts and finally got the lot for quite a decent price.
I ended up with:

2 x Webra Mach1,
6 x Taifun Tornado,
1 Taifun Rasant

Only missing parts were spraybars, needle valves, some compression screws, one Tornado needed a new contra-piston and the Rasant needed the conrod replaced.
I found spraybar/needle valves on line and my friend Jean-Pierre made the missing compression screws (can you spot two of them on the second picture? -the other two are original -), a new contra-piston and a conrod, for which i gave him one Tornado and one Mach1.
That was quite an exciting experience.
All are in good flyable running order.
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 01:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
I had flown other models before with a Jaguar 2.5cc, a Mk1 Taifun Rasant of also 2.5cc, and a 1cc Taifun Hobby.
The little Taifun Hobby Mk. 1 seems to be quite collectable, even in its Country of origin. It may surprise our European friends to learn that, way back in the 1950's an Australian company made a kit of a small C/L trainer, called the Montgomery Models "Tiger". On the plan, it showed a Mk. 1 Taifun Hobby, which they must have been importing at the time also. Didn't they all have black heads originally ? BOB[/QUOTE]

And here 'tis
Old Mar 29, 2011, 02:48 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,806 Posts
Aah, those basic C/L 'trainers' got a certain space in my heart...
These models were the ticket to the 'first degree' of engine experience to so many kids back then...the 'diesel flick' raising from myth to reality over a summer holiday...(and the sun was constantly shining, wasn't it..? )
Memories...
One of the Swedish 'all-time-great' C/L trainers, was the 18" span VESPUS.
Shown here with typically a DC (Spitfire or Sabre), alternatively a Frog 100 or 150 (also Frog decals on wings).

Of course I had a Vespus too......sporting a Webra 1.5cc 'Record' (the pre '59 version), beeing my introduction to the world of diesels....

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 29, 2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:35 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Gluehand, I think most collectors nowadays have a soft spot for that certain little model that started them off in aeromodelling, way back when. I can still recall the excitement I got from my M.M. Tiger, fitted with my D.C. Super Merlin. That is one of the greatest things about collecting (AND eBay I might add) - us older guys can now indulge ourselves by buying all the stuff we dreamt of as kids. And why should we feel guilty about it ? Our generation is extraordinarily lucky - we lived through the "Golden Age". Fifty years before we were born, model aeroplanes didn't exist. Fifty years from now, model aeroplanes that we built ourselves will be extinct. Enjoy nostalgia while you can ! BOB
Old Mar 29, 2011, 03:42 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,806 Posts
From the "glow" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
Hey Mr. Wiz, the FOK is a sweet little thing for sure...maybe the boys on the diesel thread would enjoy a look also ;-)
sparks
Here is the Hungarian FOK range, as advertised in Sweden, early 60's.

Interestingly, the 1.5 cc (or maybe all 3 of them ?) was later on (around '67 ?) exported to the Engel Modellbau company, Germany, there sold under the name Engel Rebell (the 'Engel' logo + 'Rebell' insignia was cast into the crankcase). Just recently I came across a 'Rebell' on an auction...I hope to post the 'examination' of it here soon....

Old Mar 29, 2011, 04:30 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Heron Gas Buggy

[QUOTE=JohnAV8R;17815090]Teals1 (Allen), that’s a very nice looking Heron (1939) with the 1.3 Mills diesel.
What prop size, rpm? What is the wing area of the Heron and how much does it weigh? What covering did you use, doesn’t appear to be plastic?

Hi John,
Ok, should be in bed but here goes. Prop is a 9x6 TF which came with the engine when I got it. Don't know the RPM as yet as I haven't given it a lengthy run.
Wing span 48inches, area is 345 sq inches. Weight as in photo with just the two mini servos (ie: no receiver or battery) is 17oz or 540gms approx.
Covering is a mix of Airspan and Litespan. This can be ironed on once a heat sensitive glue is painted onto the framework - I used a SIG product called Stix-It. It is then shrunk with the heat of the iron. It needs to go on quite taut as there is not a lot of shrinkage but it is nice to work with. I will also give it a very light spray of sealer.
Balance has come out pretty spot on in static test but may need a little one way or the other when it is flight tested.
Hope that's cleared the confusion
Kind regards, Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
JMP, that must have been one of your lucky days. It’s not often you’ll find all those “goodies” in one bag.

Twin-Stack, “I think most collectors nowadays have a soft spot for that certain little model that started them off in aeromodelling”. How very true. I got off to a rather hard start. My first few models all had very short lives. I had no mentor, and my models were not trimmed. A Cox.049 was way too much power for a small stick and tissue.

Gluehand, do you have all three FOK diesels?

Teals1 (Allen), coming up to my bed time too, as I’m up at 4 am to miss the Toronto traffic. Your Heron is about the same size as the Brigidier
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337034
so if the little diesel does the job for you, mine should work out about the same. My first test flight in the video was with an electric last fall.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:40 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Gluehand, "One of the Swedish 'all-time-great' C/L trainers, was the 18" span VESPUS.
Shown here with typically a DC (Spitfire or Sabre), alternatively a Frog 100 or 150 (also Frog decals on wings)."
Do you remember how long the lines were when you used the Frog 150 (.09) ?
My first "successful flight" was on a some what similar all sheet balsa model but with a Cox "Space Hopper" and 25 ft. lines. What thrill, even if it was only round and round level flying. Later flights were done using 35 ft lines, as the Space Hopper had about 16 oz of thrust on a 6x3 prop.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 30, 2011, 01:43 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Do you remember how long the lines were when you used the Frog 150 (.09) ?
IIRC, the line length used was 'typical' about 37 feet (11 metres) for this size of model/engine combo (1.5 cc), though it could vary.
My very first C/L and engine experience took place before the Vespus/Webra, with a similar although slightly smaller model called 'Biet' (= 'Bee'), powered by a McCoy .049, not by far as powerful as the Webra. I estimate the line length to have been about 28-30 feet (at most) with this somewhat anemic .049 combo.
Anemic or not, what a thrill that was for a young kid...

The Webra diesel (#1867) was a serious step forward...the dispose of that 1.5V door bell battery felt like a relief, and the power of the diesel was impressive....
Eventually the Webra's crankshaft snapped in a crash, and unfortunately the engine got lost somewhere along the road...I wish I had one today...
I do have the 2.5 cc equivalent (identical apart from size), the early 50's 'Webra 2.5 S' (I don't think the 'Winner' name was introduced by then)...it's in good order, and for sentimental reasons, I would happily swap it for a pre-59 'Record', should I ever get the chance....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Gluehand, do you have all three FOK diesels?
No, I have neither of them, apart from the recently acquired 'Engel Rebell', which I look forward to investigate...

Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 30, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
....The Webra diesel (#1867) was a serious step forward...the dispose of that 1.5V door bell battery felt like a relief, and the power of the diesel was impressive....
The earlier one was the engine to have when the 400g/cm3 class was created in France as an "easy" introduction to power models, at a time when the international class was still 200g/cm3.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP_blackfoot View Post
The earlier one was the engine to have when the 400g/cm3 class was created in France
Yes, as I remember, it was noticeable more powerful than the contemporary DC's, Frogs etc... (also a bit more expensive...)
Last edited by Gluehand; Mar 30, 2011 at 07:32 AM.