SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:08 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
NX-687, look on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_ether
for info on your solvents. Compare the physical parameters to ethyl ether. What you really want to consider is the flash point (-45C) and auto ignition temperature (160C); those closer to ethylether may help. Borrow a copy of the Merck Index
http://www.merckbooks.com/mindex/
and check out all the chemicals. Ethyl ether is not hard to make and should be cheap, but the drug trade has made it a solvent of choice, hence it is almost a controlled product now.

Mchandrayon, welcome to this post. I don’t believe you’ve visited before? Since you are in India, getting ether shouldn’t be a problem, as there is a factory that makes large quantities, available by the drum.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:09 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Chas, I’m just “craven a little fuel”. Locally, Caledon, there is a solvent company there. I spoke with the VP last year about fuel, but haven’t gotten any further. However, he did know what I was asking for, and he was familiar with models.

Earlwb, Carlson Engine Imports is at sales@carlsonengineimports.net. However, the site is not up to date. Phone Ed at (602)-863-1684. I think he only keeps partial hours, so perhaps the afternoon is best. Last month he did have a CS twin in stock.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:54 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,972 Posts
"The Donor" - continued....

Since post #1808 I've learnt a few things; first, it's 'donor', not 'donator'...

Though this little Frog was dead stuck by castor, probably since before Elvis joined the army , loosening it up was a fairly quick affair, by use of a heat gun and leather gloves.

The bad news was the backplate....as I had planned to use it on the incomplete engine, I was dissapointed, when I found that both lugs were snapped...I think it would be possible to build up with weld (e.g. Unisolder 390), but this requires initial practising on 'lesser' bits....
A pity, as these things don't turn up too often....

The good news: The other parts that I plan to re-use (propdriver + brass sleeve for carb. needle) were ok, as were also the cylinder/piston unit (surprisingly good compression) and the crankshaft.

Here comes the 'learning' bit:
As the 'donor' engine obviously is of an early production run of MkI, it became clear that a change was made some time during the MkI history:
The top end of the liner was raised to accomodate a deeper contra piston, obviously resulting in a slightly taller cylinder jacket. The lower part of the liner appears to be unaltered though, featuring identical transfer flutes etc...
Conrod length/piston height are also unaltered.
Also, the thread of the comp.screw is narrower on the early one...
See photos below.

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:01 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,184 Posts
Well, with a lathe you could machine out a new backplate and have a new one to bolt onto the engine back. It is easier to make if you don't have to thread it.

Of course a couple of screws with large washers cut down on the outside would work too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Sep 2008
2,972 Posts
Yes, I agree....technically solving the problem wouldn't be too hard, though a 'restoration' in order to keep things as original as possible is a challenge of its own.....and I'm not in hurry....
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:09 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,972 Posts
Many thanks Bob, for sharing all these scans of invaluable old information...much appreciated...
---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Love these old D.A.'s ! BOB
Here is a couple of DA's later production; the 2.5 cc Drabant and the 1 cc Sattelit, here shown with (optional) original exhaust collector.
The Sattelit is a sturdy (chunky?) piece of engine, definitely in the cathegory 'large' 1 cc engines, like the DC Spitfire and others...

The R/H photo shows DA Satellit beside the likewise 1 cc Alag X-5 (which is quite small for a 1 cc)

Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:38 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,184 Posts
I got a casting set from Davis Diesel for a Drone .29 engine (2nd version with the ball bearing). I plan on building a engine from it. But it'll take a while as I have to re-invent something for a drawing to make the parts with. I'll have to digress from what the original specs are unless someone has some drawings they can share that would get me closer.

earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
More stuff
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
From April 1978
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Size Matters!
San Francisco Bay Area
Joined Dec 2002
2,654 Posts
glue hand - Thanks for posting your adventures with the Frog 50.

twinstack - greatly appreciate the scanned bench tests!
RocketRob is offline Find More Posts by RocketRob
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,434 Posts
Flight Report

I put 300
mls through my Silver Swallow 1.5 in my CL model last Sat arvo , It was great

The main bearing has a noticable rock in it but it starts up quick with fresh fuel and I am just fine tuning the tank height for it has a lean burp coming out of tight inverted I am putting sand paper between tank and plane to stop movement and am holding it on with rubber bands so I can adjust the height

This cheap Chinese motor is very good and its lasting

I will put in a picture, in a day or 2
NX-687 is offline Find More Posts by NX-687
Last edited by NX-687; Mar 27, 2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add
Old Mar 28, 2011, 03:03 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Mills 1.3 Mk 1

Some may have seen these pictures on another thread but JohnAV8R asked for pictures of models with diesel engines soooooo.....here is my just completed 1939 Heron Gas Buggy fitted with an appropriate Mills diesel to keep in the true spirit of 'vintage'. The original was free flight but the design was picked up by Airsail in NZ and kitted for a while - unfortunately no longer. This is one of their kits a which could be made into free flight or 2 channel radio which I have done - want to avoid having this engine lost in a fly-away! Have enjoyed drooling over the pictures. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Below, the neat little Taipan 1.5 - has anyone got one in its original bubble pack. If so, call me. BOB
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:17 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
512 Posts
John,
Thanks for the welcoming words, I have been lurking here for a while.
Getting ether even here in India is a problem. And you really need to work on your source to source your supply.
mchandrayan is online now Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:17 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,633 Posts
Give me an inch and Iíll ask for a foot!

Teals1 (Allen), thatís a very nice looking Heron (1939) with the 1.3 Mills diesel.
What prop size, rpm? What is the wing area of the Heron and how much does it weigh? What covering did you use, doesnít appear to be plastic?

Twin-Stack, that 2.5 Blizzard is really a neat little engine. For 1959, maybe they were competing with the Cox 0.15 using the rear intake and reed valve? With the 8x4 prop though, they were far behind the Cox in rpm.

Mchandrayan, too bad youíre having trouble getting ether. Sounds like the whole world is against us having model diesel fuel. Maybe you can find John Deer tractor starting fluid, or a similar product in India? Are there many modelers there using diesels? Are there still a few manufacturerís of model diesel engines?

Thanks everyone.
John