Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Thanks.
I am thinking about starting a thread in the engines category as the modern model diesel engines with ABC, ball bearings et cetera may not quite be considered vintage in this thread. I also have a Fox .15 diesel conversion I want to play with, as well as a Fox .45 diesel conversion too. Now some folks had used the Fox .15 engines, but they had put in some plugs in the bypass ports to reduce or plug them up to improve the engine's performance. I was thinking that maybe something to reduce the intake might work better, but that is another thread.

I found and bought a couple of different 20-25 size carbs, but I am waiting for them to arrive to try on the 40LA to see how that works or not.

Someone found that the early high compression Saito FA-80 engines worked running as a diesel too. You just don't worry about the glow plug or put in a bad glow plug. So I want to have a go at it myself on my old well used FA-80 and see if it'll run OK or not.

Then I have a Russian 2.5cc Marz engine that had two of the head bolts strip out on it while running, so I was going to fix that and see if it works better or not. I have it apart, I just need to drill and tap it for slightly larger screws.

Anyway, I was waiting for the weekend to see how many engines I can get going to mess around with.
You can keep it here for me! I think most of the guys on this thread like to hear about anything diesel related, or am I alone in this view
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:18 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,756 Posts
Earlwb, great pictures! Nice to know about the head screws on the Marz 2.5. What about replacing them with 4-40 bolts? I haven’t run my Marz, but I had no trouble getting the head off…it had no head bolts! I contacted the seller and was quickly sent 3 new bolts. Anyway, nice to see it run. That “other thread” has quite a discussion on the Marz which makes for interesting reading.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Frog 50D Mk. 2
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,516 Posts
Hi

We have some Amyl Acetate and Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Ethyl Methyl Ketone waste at work , would any of that be good in my diesel ?
NX-687 is online now Find More Posts by NX-687
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:49 PM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NX-687 View Post
We have some Amyl Acetate and Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Ethyl Methyl Ketone waste at work , would any of that be good in my diesel ?
Amyl Nitrate is what you want, if you can get it......but I bet ya can't. You only need to add about 2% to the mix.

MEK is not nice for your body so it seems.....beware.

Butal Acetate is good to add to dope to stop it blushing when applied in steamy weather. Do you have that too?
gossie is offline Find More Posts by gossie
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,756 Posts
Twin-Stack, thanks for all the info. Now, if I had had deep pockets as a kid, and had known about all these goodies, I’d still be lost in toy land. It’s just amazing to see all the different engine that came along from the 1940 to the 1980’s, with quite a novel collection late 1950’s through the 1960’s.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:20 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Earlwb, great pictures! Nice to know about the head screws on the Marz 2.5. What about replacing them with 4-40 bolts? I haven’t run my Marz, but I had no trouble getting the head off…it had no head bolts! I contacted the seller and was quickly sent 3 new bolts. Anyway, nice to see it run. That “other thread” has quite a discussion on the Marz which makes for interesting reading.
Thanks
The Marz engine uses 3mm screws. Three 15mm long ones for the head and cylinder and four 10mm screws for the backplate. It is easy enough to get them in the correct lengths. I opted for the hex head screws they typically use on the RC cars, helicopters, etc. Usually a LHS has them.

Since the screws broke, and I got them out, I opted to use 3mm, if something happens and they don't work, I can always drill and tap for 4/40 and see what happens. But if the threads in the crankcase are buggered up, then you'll have to go with 4/40 screws instead. I think good 3mm screws are likely strong enough to hold the head on, but 4/40 screws would be slightly stronger still. It doesn't look like there is enough room or metal for the next size up though.

It is probably best to simply replace the screws before you do anything. You may have to machine down the heads a little to get the screws to fit down the holes in the head though.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Taplin Twin
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:09 AM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,722 Posts
In the Vintage Glow Engine thread, posts #342 to #346, Twin-Stack gave us the 1963 Global Engine Review by Peter Chinn, as published in the American Modeler Annual of the same year.
It is attached here as a single pdf file.

Also, to complete the series, the 1964, 1965 and 1966 Global Engine reviews are available here:

1964: http://db.tt/FRwtNsk
1965: http://db.tt/fyzlkRn
1966: http://db.tt/RTDFcUn
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Mar 25, 2011, 12:35 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've been using automotive "diesel ignition improver" for some years now; works well, readily available, no noticeable adverse effects on the engines, just don't sniff it! I forget what the active ingredient is...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Mar 25, 2011, 02:36 AM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
It's all scary stuff - organic peroxides and nitrogens - being mostly organic myself, and since some guys are getting good results with kerosene and Mazola, I am loathe to pour liquids which may melt your eyeballs for an extra 300 rpm. I spoke with an Me163 pilot and asked him about the "C-Stoff" pucker factor, and he said that they expected to die but it was worth it to get among the bomber streams; I don't feel that determined about my APS Pal Joey at the park. Still, if it's at Canadian Tire it must be pretty safe---thanks T! I'll try it.
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:05 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
Thanks for posting the old engine articles and stuff Twinstack.

I had a Indian made Taplin twin .30 way back around 1981. The example I had worked out really well. Easy to start and run. It was amazingly quiet too. I had it on a House of Balsa Petenpol that I did up to look like a WWI plane. I still regret selling it today.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:05 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
531 Posts
Ah!!! The Taplin twin.
The Indian ones when availble easily were out of my reach. Now when I can afford them they are out of production. And when I can find an original English NIB one they still slip out of my reach.
At our local field, one gent put that Taplin in a GP 120 size supersportster thinking it to be 15cc (i.e 7.5 cc each). Bet if that was a same cc glow (as the Taplin) the model would have never left the ground. But to the credit of a diesel engine (and the pilot), though very underpowered it indeed do couple of circuits.
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Last edited by mchandrayan; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: correction
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:59 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,606 Posts
I happened across the CS engines website and they had a CS Twin diesel engine shown there. I wonder if it is really for sale or not, if they really have some in stock, and if it works or not.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...h7RUGg&cad=rja

I think Taplin had two different size twins that they made way back then. The little .30 size and bigger .53 size or something like that.

mchandrayan, yeah I know the feeling, when I was younger, I couldn't afford some of the engines I really wanted, and by the time I could, they had discontinued them. Back around 1977 Hobby Lobby was advertising a D&B inline four cylinder engine with a oil sump too. By the time I had the money it was discontinued. But I have never seen a real one anywhere or even in a picture other than what was in some advertisements, so maybe it was a engine that was never produced.
I remember when i was really big into pattern flying, when OS came out with the 1.20 supercharged engine, I drooled and coveted one for a long time. of course they don't make them anymore either.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Mar 25, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 09:06 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,756 Posts
Thank you Twin-Stack for posting all the reviews, great information!
Also, freeing up a frozen engine with acetone and heat sounds quick and easy. Unfortunately I’ve had a few “nib” that had started to corrode. The piston and cylinder were very frozen. The bearings did loosen up, but were pitted and “sounded rough”. I guess it all comes down to a crap shoot!

Thank you JMP for compiling the “document” into a single source.
The 1964, 1965 and 1966 Global Engine Reviews are treasure troves.