HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2009, 07:07 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
Warren, a very nice collection of Mills. They all look like they are new. Obviously you are giving them the care and nurture that a fine old engine deserves.
Do you use anything other than (ether, kerosene) castor oil lubricant in your fuel?
Years ago I had a Mills similar to the one in the bottom left of the first picture. I ran it too hard and fast on a 5x3 prop and broke the rod.
It really was a nice little engine, very easy to start and a steady runner.
Perhaps if you get time, one engine at a time, multiple pics, to show us all their wonderful “lines”.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2009, 08:01 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R
Warren, a very nice collection of Mills. They all look like they are new. Obviously you are giving them the care and nurture that a fine old engine deserves.
Do you use anything other than (ether, kerosene) castor oil lubricant in your fuel?
Years ago I had a Mills similar to the one in the bottom left of the first picture. I ran it too hard and fast on a 5x3 prop and broke the rod.
It really was a nice little engine, very easy to start and a steady runner.
Perhaps if you get time, one engine at a time, multiple pics, to show us all their wonderful “lines”.
If you still have the remains of the motor it can be repaired
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 30, 2009, 04:27 AM
Mt Evelyn, Melbourne, OZ
Joined Dec 2008
585 Posts
Hi John,
I use a reasonably standard brew 40/35/23 with about 2% DII (I think it's iso propyl nitrate). The Mills don't need the addition, but the others like it.
I don't use after run which does tend to make the engines gum up ion teh castor after a while, just gives me an excuse to give them a run (I don't need much of an excuse).
My Mills 75's run on 8x4's or 8x3's. I've tried 7x4's experimentally but theyuse the tank too fast. Can't imagine running a 5x3 - must have screamed. That's the size I use on my Schlosser 0.25 (1/3 the size of the Mills).
Warren B is offline Find More Posts by Warren B
Old Jun 30, 2009, 01:12 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
ETA 5 someone say thumper?

Here's my ETA '5' (5cc) about 1948. This one is a real thumper. As you can see it has a choke & cutoff. It swings a massive 16 inch prop & is quite easy to start once you have the technique sorted. NV open 3 turns, back comp off a little,choke almost closed, ex prime... 4-5 flicks later she's away. Open choke as it warms up while leaning at the same time and tweaking the comp...finally refill the tank again. All quite simple really
I did fit an OS prop driver as the original was just a washer on the shaft with no way of posotive drive I've never measured the rpm but I guess somewhere around 3-4000 rpm.
I believe they're quite rare because eta bought out the lovely .29 BB rear induction glow at the same time.
Incidentally I bought a czech repro of the ETA .29 & although it looks good quality it runs quite poorly. I read on a CL forum once that they required some 6-8 hrs running in??

cheers
Simon
Snorks is offline Find More Posts by Snorks
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
A Rothwell, not an Oliver

Here are a few more pictures sent from Peter in Australia.

A ROTHWELL 250 - zoom in on the jpg - crankcase marked R 250.

Enclosed for interest a further attachment, see http://www.smrpl.com.au/

The other smaller engine is an MP Jet 0.6 cc, about the size of the above PAW

The PDF files contain aditional info on each diesel.
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:26 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
John, thanks for the photos and the tip document for the Rothwell 250 engine. I have the little MP Jet diesel I got from David Owen. A nice little engine. Also a GB also from David Owen shown on the test stand. The GB has been flown in a Playboy Cabin for sport flying. I have not built a model for the little MP Jet at this time. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jul 03, 2009, 07:46 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
must be the cleanest test stand I have ever seen. Mine was a thick black oily mess until i soaked it in some dishwasher powder and hot water. Whats the blue prop?
cheers
Simon
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Simon, the blue prop is a Master Airscrew 8/3. I clean the test stand after every use. I let the engnes set a day or so with the piston down and then oil up with automatic trans fluid. In the 1950's and 60's I would use engine oil or 3 in 1 oil. I have never had an engine gummed up with castor. Jack
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Here is my Playboy Cabin with the GB. Also flown with reproduction Oliver Jaguar 2.5 cc diesel. Jack
Old Jul 03, 2009, 08:51 PM
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Here is a photo of my Playboy Cabin and Oliver Jaguar. Also Allan Laycock holding Glen Poole's Viking with a PAW .15 diesel. Allan was visiting the USA from Australia in 2004. Jack
Old Jul 04, 2009, 08:18 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,249 Posts
I'm completely diesel illeterate but I ran across this on another forum.

http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/

This guys smallest homemade/handmade is 1/10 the displacement of a TD .010.

These things are little jewels with prices to match.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Jul 05, 2009, 04:41 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,451 Posts
PAW running and maintenance instructions.
Davis Diesel Instructions

Sorry about the poor quality of the Davis instructions. Open in PhotoShop; boost the contrast and sharpen the text and they will be easier to see.
Old Jul 05, 2009, 04:47 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
624 Posts
John, the PAW instructions are on their website. PAW instructions
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jul 05, 2009, 05:05 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
624 Posts
Here's a copy of a booklet inserted with an issue of Aeromodeller sometime in 1965.
The first page needs to be rotated clockwise to view.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Jul 05, 2009, 10:32 PM
Africa
Joined Jan 2005
1,107 Posts
Barton model products also had an excellent 'engines of the world' poster for 1 or 2 pounds.Not sure if its still available. I have one on my workshop wall. Mostly from Aeromodeller but a good reference.