HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2010
302 Posts
It can be from the mid 50's, as Gluehand said, but it might be much newer, as they were made till the late 60's! Not very rare, in Denmark.

The front exhaust. Maybe to have the exhaust where the cooling is best, or maybe to have it opposite to the carburettor.

It has fine compression, but is suffering from a loose liner, so will have to be dismantled, cleaned and checked.

The propeller is a Graupner 9x4, marked SUPER, and from very soft nylon. It is too small. The engine would be much happier with something larger to keep it under 6500 rpm. The too small propeller can have caused the loose liner.

Gluehand is showing what is probably a boats engine, but it was used for cars too: http://modelflyvning.dk/forum/showth...sen#post302447
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Last edited by sablatnic; Mar 13, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Oct 2010
302 Posts
Just a question. What is the engine to the right?

sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Old Mar 13, 2011, 06:04 PM
United States, OH, Galena
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Another front exhaust diesel: the French Fargeas brothers' Ouragan 3.36 cm3.
The exhaust is between the lower two cooling fins.
It has also excentric crankshaft compression adjustment and drum induction.
JMP_blackfoot is offline Find More Posts by JMP_blackfoot
Old Mar 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Wow JMP you're clued up!

My Irvine Mills also had an eccentric crankshaft but I don't think it helped any!
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,487 Posts
Has anyone been able identify Sablatnic's post #1757, the diesel on the right...what is it?
I've purchased a book on EB that is suppose to deal with diesels, so I'll have to wait and see. Chas, I think the compression adjustment for your diesel is on top.....at least it is on mine...
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 14, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
Wow JMP you're clued up!
This engine was given to me 25 years ago by its original owner, Jean Guillemard, now deceased and one of France's most famous designers. It had a crack in the crankcase at the bottom of the threaded portion which receives the steel cylinder, due to crash damage. There was not enough metal left to attempt welding, so my friend Jean-Pierre shrunk a ring around the crankcase, and now the engine runs again. However, it requires a fuel mix with little castor, most of the oil being "huile de parrafine" which is found in the US as Mineral Baby Oil.

Quote:
My Irvine Mills also had an eccentric crankshaft but I don't think it helped any!
I have two of these NIB, haven't checked them for being eccentric, which shouldn't be a surprise anyway.

Highly recommended reading:

http://www.amazon.com/English-Eccent.../dp/0814902049

"Dame Edith Sitwell’s witty and affectionate send-up of her countrymen.

Eccentricity exists particularly in the English, states Dame Edith Sitwell, because of "that peculiar and satisfactory knowledge of infallibility that is the hallmark and the birthright of the British nation." Originally published in 1933, The English Eccentrics has lost none of its vitality and wit. We flnd hermits (both ancient and ornamental), quacks, mariners, indefatigable travelers, men of learning. We meet the amphibious Lord Rokeby, whose beard reached his knees and who seldom left his bath; the irascible Captain Thicknesses, who left his right hand, to be cut off after his death, to his son Lord Audley; and Curricle Coats, the Gifted Amateur, whose suit was sewn with diamonds and whose every performance ended in uproar. A glorious gallery of the extremes of human nature, portrayed with humor, sympathy, knowledge, and love. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

About the Author
Dame Edith Sitwell (1887-1964) was a poet, critic and editor, whose enduring monument is probably the suite of 'abstract poems' Facade, notoriously orchestrated by William Walton, and the Norton Anthology of English Verse, which has given poetry to millions. Her greatest pleasures were listening to music and silence..."
Last edited by JMP_blackfoot; Mar 14, 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Compression adjustment wasn't on the worker's mind on the Friday afternoon that my Mills was made! Take a look at the prop driver/crankcase nose John...I think this displaces the liner sufficiently to alter the timing, as this engine would not offer any threat to a runny rice pud. Anyway, it's history now.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 09:28 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Well, mine shows a very similar front end
They can't all have been made on that fatal Friday afternoon
At least, it shows consistency...
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Now that's a surprise! I would have persisted with the little ^%%$# if I had known that to be a "normal" tolerance. I assumed the liner was lower in relation to the piston because of the off-centre crank - could never get more than 6400 out of it on a 6x4.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post
.... - could never get more than 6400 out of it on a 6x4.
This almost sounds as though the piston were backwards (intake transfer cutout in the back instead of front).
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Oh, I now remember that my Micron 0.3 cm3 "Moustique" was also very weak until I found that the gasket between the cylinder and crankcase was blocking the transfer. I removed (read : "neatly cut") the offending bit of gasket paper and now the "Moustique" runs as it should.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:13 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,557 Posts
Irvine Mills

Having had two Irvine Mills 0.75 (one of which I still have) which were excellent performers, every bit as good as the original Mills produced one that I owned in my youth, it seems strange that people seem to have sub standard ones. Maybe just unlucky, I guess. I also at one time had a Doonside Mills, which was superb, but the Kumar (Indian) ones now.......that really WAS luck of the draw as the fits were a little - errrm - variable.

I see mention of a 6" x 4" prop, is not this a bit small for the long stroke Mills? I found that mine performed best on a 7" x 5".

I last flew my Irvine Mills in a Smeed Pushy Cat with rudder only radio, and it hauled this around with great authority despite it being a bit overweight.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
Joined Jul 2003
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Having had two Irvine Mills 0.75 (one of which I still have) which were excellent performers, every bit as good as the original Mills produced one that I owned in my youth, it seems strange that people seem to have sub standard ones
Could you post a picture of yours? It would be interesting to see if the eccentricity is an accident or just a "feature" of the Irvine Mills.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,571 Posts
Irvine Mills were accepted as being better than the originals .. I feel your eccentric shaft was indeed an 'accident'

The original Mills were variable to a degree; mine is a sweet little engine. As for the Curry versions... I had two - one purchased used, the other given to me. The former was a good engine, lost into a forest in a thermalling Tomboy. The latter is so bad in so many respects that the only uses I can think of for it are as a paperweight or model boat anchor
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Mar 15, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2003
1,658 Posts
Guys, as for my engine, I can't say about the liner being back to front or not, as I never removed the jacket. I used a 6x4 in an attempt to get the revs up over 5000, which was the 7x4 speed.
JMP, a good check would be to run yours and see what they do?
I bought a new Honda CX500 in 1981 which ran rich from the start - found a manufacturer's QC card sandwiched over the intake manifold! Permachoke, so even Honda can drop a goolie.
My Mills was the earlier cast crankcase version.