HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
Discussion
What's the diff between the EXI 450 and EXI 450 "Squadron" edition?

What's the difference between the EXI 450 and EXI 450 "Squadron" edition? They are both available at www.xheli.com. the only differences I can see is the "Squadron" editon has a different canopy and hex screws. Any other differences that anyone can tell?
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2009, 03:06 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Which "EXI 450" are you looking at?
the $39 one?

$39 EXI 450

The $39 one has the outer ring plastic instead of metal (no biggie).
I think the tail mechanics on the $39 is actually better. It has an additional C shaped piece on the top of the tail slider.
The $39 has plastic blades and the Squadron has Wood blades.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; May 26, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic
Which "EXI 450" are you looking at?
the $39 one?

$39 EXI 450

The $39 one has the outer ring plastic instead of metal (no biggie).
I think the tail mechanics on the $39 is actually better. It has an additional C shaped piece on the top of the tail slider.
The $39 has plastic blades and the Squadron has Wood blades.

The frame is all different as well.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old May 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
Eatonton Ga. United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Can't comment on the Squadron because I've never seen one but I got to say I'm pretty impressed with the $39 EXI. Looks like it's pretty good quality. Of course I haven't flown it yet. The only thing I plan on changing right now is the tail pushrod. Way tooo flimsy IMO.
Sky_Dancer is offline Find More Posts by Sky_Dancer
Old May 26, 2009, 04:02 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Dancer
Can't comment on the Squadron because I've never seen one but I got to say I'm pretty impressed with the $39 EXI. Looks like it's pretty good quality. Of course I haven't flown it yet. The only thing I plan on changing right now is the tail pushrod. Way tooo flimsy IMO.

Yeah, that tail control wire is very flimsy, bends easy too.

That might be part of my tail issues.

It's not too bad of a flyer. Pretty stable and doesn't get blown around by the wind too much. However, my Trex 250 IMHO flies better. Probably because of the stellar gyro.

I am going to order up a TT and CF PR.
Last edited by MakMov; May 26, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakMov
Yeah, that tail control wire is very flimsy, bends easy too.

That might be part of my tail issues.

It's not too bad of a flyer. Pretty stable and doesn't get blown around by the wind too much. However, my Trex 250 IMHO flies better. Probably because of the stellar gyro.

I am going to order up a TT and CF PR.
I'm putting quality electronics in mine including a Logictech gyro and tailservo.
Only thing really "cheap" is the airframe and motor. I will upgrade mechanically as I go.
Just trying to figure out now if i need a seperate BEC with my Phoenix 35 ESC. All servos will be digital, might overtax the BEC on the ESC.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:58 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,086 Posts
I just helped someone at our field with the $39 EXI from Xheli. It's one hell of a deal. The heli flies very nicely. We had a couple of issues that are worth noting. The pin coming out of the swash for anti-rotation was loose. It has to be glued into the swash. The other not the fault of the heli were the HXT900 servos from HobbyCity. All 4 of the servos had stripped servo casings. We had to CA the cases together.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
Old May 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
I'm putting quality electronics in mine including a Logictech gyro and tailservo.
Only thing really "cheap" is the airframe and motor. I will upgrade mechanically as I go.
Just trying to figure out now if i need a seperate BEC with my Phoenix 35 ESC. All servos will be digital, might overtax the BEC on the ESC.

I've been serously considering upgrading to a Logictech or Align gyro for mine.

It might, but your probably don't need digis on the cyclic. My HS65HBs have been plenty good enough on the cyclic..
Old May 26, 2009, 08:20 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakMov
I've been serously considering upgrading to a Logictech or Align gyro for mine.

It might, but your probably don't need digis on the cyclic. My HS65HBs have been plenty good enough on the cyclic..
Well I'm certainly not capable of anything where I'd need digis on the cyclic but I got three Ino Labs metal geared digis for just a little less than the HS-65MGs. Came from Heli-Direct.
BTW I found the best price on the Logictech combo at Readyheli.com and Grand RC. Don't know how they fare on the gyro alone vs. other places.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:54 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Well I'm certainly not capable of anything where I'd need digis on the cyclic but I got three Ino Labs metal geared digis for just a little less than the HS-65MGs. Came from Heli-Direct.
BTW I found the best price on the Logictech combo at Readyheli.com and Grand RC. Don't know how they fare on the gyro alone vs. other places.

Cool

I got it quite a bit better tonight by moving the ball to the closest hole on the horn.

the Gaui 210 might be better on a smaller heli.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:54 AM
Why yes, I am an R/C addict!
About 15 miles from Bristow, OK
Joined May 2009
650 Posts
i thinkin i might just buy a t-rex 450 metal head and buy the $39 EXI and just install the metal head on it and if i do that i might upgrade the tail too
flyrcehelis is offline Find More Posts by flyrcehelis
Old May 27, 2009, 09:58 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrcehelis
i thinkin i might just buy a t-rex 450 metal head and buy the $39 EXI and just install the metal head on it and if i do that i might upgrade the tail too
How much will that cost.
There are ebay sellers selling the copterx Head/Tail combo for $50 shipped.

I have that setup that I upgraded my Squadron 450.
Others have done the same.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic