Old May 26, 2009, 05:02 PM
Irv
AKA the"Old Flyer" KI6SPO
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Aug 2004
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero_k
Very interesting. So how much did you end up spending to get this far?
I would have to estimate the cost because the plane and radio are a bit old.
Approximate costs:
Airframe - Easy Glider 100.00
Futaba 9c radio 300.00
Motor, ESC, batteries 250.00
AttoPilot 800.00
Misc. Chargers, etc 150.00
Laptop computer loaned
--------

If you are starting from scratch - I would budget $2000.00 without computers, RF modem and airborne video system.
Irv is offline Find More Posts by Irv
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2009, 05:10 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv
I would have to estimate the cost because the plane and radio are a bit old.
Approximate costs:
Airframe - Easy Glider 100.00
Futaba 9c radio 300.00
Motor, ESC, batteries 250.00
AttoPilot 800.00
Misc. Chargers, etc 150.00
Laptop computer loaned
--------

If you are starting from scratch - I would budget $2000.00 without computers, RF modem and airborne video system.

All your missing is the video system and modem for telemetry.... add another 2k if you want to do this.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:01 PM
Irv
AKA the"Old Flyer" KI6SPO
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Aug 2004
104 Posts
We just had a very successful flight of the Easy Glider UAV breadboard.
In gusty winds and a fully overcast sky, AttoPilot held the flight path of 3 circuits of 7 way points very well and flew the circuit at the 3 altitudes, 60 Meters, 40 Meters and 20 Meters. The 20 meter flight path was very constant, much better than Dean suggested it would be.

All that and with a 2.4Ghz video system sending down great pictures. (Sorry - the DVR didn't store the video correctly - no video to share - yet.

Does any one (Chris) have any advice on the initial SET file parameters for a 12 pound, 9 foot wingspan Cub? We will be transferring the AttoPilot from the Easy Glider to the Cub soon.
Irv is offline Find More Posts by Irv
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:07 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv
We just had a very successful flight of the Easy Glider UAV breadboard.
In gusty winds and a fully overcast sky, AttoPilot held the flight path of 3 circuits of 7 way points very well and flew the circuit at the 3 altitudes, 60 Meters, 40 Meters and 20 Meters. The 20 meter flight path was very constant, much better than Dean suggested it would be.

All that and with a 2.4Ghz video system sending down great pictures. (Sorry - the DVR didn't store the video correctly - no video to share - yet.

Does any one (Chris) have any advice on the initial SET file parameters for a 12 pound, 9 foot wingspan Cub? We will be transferring the AttoPilot from the Easy Glider to the Cub soon.

Irv,

A couple of things you need to do with a larger bird is increase the steer and alt prop band width.

Your gain settings will probably need to be increased due to how slow a cub reacts to aileron input.

Get your expo settings above 25

Thatís about all until I see a SET and LOG file.

Thanks,

Chris
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:29 PM
Joined Jun 2009
113 Posts
Irv/ anyone?
just got registerd on this site and had a question I also live in Southern Ca and was wondering if you in your trials have seen any issues with the thermal IR xy control? I see more then just ATTO useing it for the XY control.

I ask because it would seem that if one sensor looks out at the ocean for instance and the other is say looking at a mountain or anything that is of a different temp I would wonder if that could confuse the sensors and cause control issues, living by the ocean we get fog and some rather interesting weather and if I get one of these I dont want any problems.

same question but lets say were in the Dezert and its pretty hot out over a 100 F. do think that could cause a issue. I cant find the specs on those sensor units same look as this one from another system

http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?...489&section=20

The only other autopiliot system I see that is using a different type xy sensor is picopilot they use a barometric pressure sensor.

just trying to learn the differance and what good or bad things have been seen with both types.
jginsandiego is offline Find More Posts by jginsandiego
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:28 PM
Joined Jun 2009
113 Posts
thermopile XYZ stablization system?

Below found this to answer some of my question and anybody who may wonder the same but would still like to here what others have to say about theroy or real life use of a thermopile XYZ stablization system.

http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Theory_of_Operation
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1,512 Posts
I live near Phoenix in Arizona, and purposefully designed the XY and Z themropile heads to not saturate their output even with 130+ F ground temp. Also has been tested to below 32 F (0C).

Water on one side of the aircraft is not a problem. This has been thoroughly tested. Atto uses GPS and barometric data to constantly trim a pitch and roll bias. This is why mountains and rough terrain don't matter either. This is all being said based on lots of real test flight by myself and others.

All that being said, thermopiles can't compete with an IMU for low latency angular rate and attitude data. You really wouldn't notice attitude latency in thermopiles unless you have flown both them and IMU. There is a subtle but distinct performance advantage for the IMU.
dmgoedde is offline Find More Posts by dmgoedde
Old Jun 15, 2009, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2009
113 Posts
Thanks for the reply is there any way to get a copy of the instructions that come with a Atto unit my friend JOHN S. went to go see Irv fly his unit last Friday and we are both looking to get one. I want to build my plane I will use first and I have to save up for the Atto would like to read up on the setup and placement of the sensors and tech info I did not see anything on the Atto web site for instructions.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:41 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Needs to be updated.....

Chris
Last edited by airmcn_3; Aug 18, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:09 AM
Joined Aug 2007
1,512 Posts
Bill Nailor (whom I mentioned earlier) is working for me to polish the manual. He has given it a lot of time and it is very much scrubbed up now. This will be published soon, as within a week or two.
dmgoedde is offline Find More Posts by dmgoedde
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2009
113 Posts
Thanks I will look forward to reviewing this where will the updated one be when it is done.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 05:40 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,776 Posts
Here I hope http://www.attopilot.ning.com
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer