Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Sven,
I don't get that either. I flew it today, with the dimes still attached,
and it behaved normally. I did not tweak anything. Took it down to the park,
remember I put Xtreme motors on it. Fast? Really fast. Ripping big circles and eights. So I say cool,
let's go faster, I think I got 25 mph, had to turn and blade strike.
8mm is not enough. Damage-- two blades and the flybar, which, by the way, is made from the cheasiest steel ever. Bad Xreme.

Flew my Big Lama today as well, simple slow speed turn and blade strike.
NOT pilot error. Tell Xreme and or Airy to make them longer. I think at least 14mm for the little lama and at least 24mm for the Big.

I would jus make it myself, ever tried to find a 2 foot length of of any meal at 3mm diameter. Don't bother trying, I have.
Oh, I did find it in Taiwan, minimum order: 76 tons.

I think between the two of us, we can perfect these platforms.
I know what they need, just finding the parts.

Peace,
Tom
My LHS has music wire and CF rod. The problem was that they were looking for 1mm and 2mm music wire and their inventory system said they didn't have any. I suggested .078" and there it was. I was able to buy 4 pieces wrapped together for ~$3. All you have to do is cut it to length and add the flats for the set screws. If it is not available locally and you have to have it shipped, I think the cost of shipping will be higher than the cost of the material.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:30 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Sven,

First, thanks for all the time you put into these threads.
Your advise is right on.
I am not even going to hover my Big until I extend the shaft,
and get some carbon blades.

Jack, I am going to try .078 Piano wire. I actually had thought of that, or welding rod, or drill rod. So .078 is 3mm, which i could not find in metric.
Did you extend the outer shaft, or is that not necessary?
So, thanks for that.

Why are we the ones who have to engineer out the design flaws of these machines?

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:49 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Sven,

First, thanks for all the time you put into these threads.
Your advise is right on.
I am not even going to hover my Big until I extend the shaft,
and get some carbon blades.

Jack, I am going to try .078 Piano wire. I actually had thought of that, or welding rod, or drill rod. So .078 is 3mm, which i could not find in metric.
Did you extend the outer shaft, or is that not necessary?
So, thanks for that.

Why are we the ones who have to engineer out the design flaws of these machines?

Tom
Hi Tom,

I don't want to discredit Jacks advice, but he is more the Lama3/4 than the BIG Lama pilot. I went on google and tried to find a conversion table - did not find it, but here is what I found about it:

1 mm = 0.0393700787402 inches

So if you buy 0.078 inch piano wire, you will probably not be too happy once you try to use your extended shaft, as it will be 1mm less in diameter than you need.
Just take the above mentioned times 3 and you get the diameter you need in inch.
Like I said, nothing against Jack, but unfortunately its the wrong measurement.

Why don't you wait a little longer anyway Tom, according to a post here in the thread (at least I think it was here) rc711 will soon start offering the extended shafts as indiviual parts - and if not, sometime in August I will be able to get them any length you might want (so I was told)

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Jul 09, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Apr 2009
764 Posts
Just goto hobbylobby under search put in 3mm music wire they have it, I have used it a lot on CX2's and the big lama to make extended shafts nothing to it..
Flight time is offline Find More Posts by Flight time
Old Jul 09, 2009, 11:42 PM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Flight Time,
I thought you were bs's us. They do have it!
HOW STRONG IS IT AND DID IT REALLY WORK FOR YOU?
Be honest and did you have you have to raise, modify or change the outer
shaft.
I found out today, after repairs, that I have warped the outer shaft, so I need a new one. Does a longer one exist.

I know this is the big lama thread, but this applies to both.

Sven,

I can not find the parts you have mentioned on google, or anything.
Do you work for Xtreme? I kind of like Airy, but no extended shaft from them yet.
I put the Xtreme shaft, (there's a joke in there somewhere),
on my little lama, and found that there was an awful lot of slop,
sideways. Solved that with two .1mm shims for my Blade 400.
How's that for thinking on you feet ?

However, more blade strikes. We are grounded here.
Time to work on my Blade 400, HDX450, and my HDX 500,
which I fly well, without crashes, (of course, my balls aren't that big yet),
so no upside down crap for me.
I want to carry cameras, and find lost people.
The only reason I'm even screwing around with this cheap crap is to learn how to fly,so I can go BIG!
Bigger than a HeliBaby (.93m).

Check out Swiss-UAV.com

That's a machine with a purpose!
It could save your life, or at least find you and bring you food and etc.
It can carry 100 pounds. Check it out, I heard about somewhere on this website, went camping in Sequoia Nat. Park, told them about what is now becoming available and possible, and my invention tendencies, well, let's
just say they want one. I sold them on GPS/IR/ Fly at night.

Anybody want to help?
Peace, and find the lost kid at 10.500ft, autonomously!
Tom

Yeah, that's what they said about, well every genuis
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:35 AM
Joined Apr 2009
764 Posts
Im to damn old to be BS'ing you I modified a metal upgrade for the Big Lama to fit on my Blazing Star (53#1) you will not find a better material than the music wire it is and stays straight it is harder than your mother in laws heart and will stay straight in a crash. I used the 2mm in my sons brushless CX2 he is always crashing it and he has never bent it. To extend the shaft for the BS or the CX2 I machined a top collar that hold's two bearings which in turn lengthens the outer shaft about 1/2" very nice. Stainless and titanium shafts are always bending and are junk the music wire is spring steel you will destroy a lot of parts but not the shaft..
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:53 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
Hi Tom,

I don't want to discredit Jacks advice, but he is more the Lama3/4 than the BIG Lama pilot. I went on google and tried to find a conversion table - did not find it, but here is what I found about it:

1 mm = 0.0393700787402 inches

So if you buy 0.078 inch piano wire, you will probably not be too happy once you try to use your extended shaft, as it will be 1mm less in diameter than you need.
Just take the above mentioned times 3 and you get the diameter you need in inch.
Like I said, nothing against Jack, but unfortunately its the wrong measurement.

Why don't you wait a little longer anyway Tom, according to a post here in the thread (at least I think it was here) rc711 will soon start offering the extended shafts as indiviual parts - and if not, sometime in August I will be able to get them any length you might want (so I was told)

Regards,
Sven
What I meant by that is if you are in an AMERICAN hobby shop, and ask for a 3mm diameter piece of music wire, they may not have it listed as 3mm, it may be the decimal equivalent like it was when I asked for a 2mm piece. If you have access to industrial supply places, like MCS, they have drill rod which will not bend any too easily in a crash. All you have to do is put the flats on for the set screws to hold against.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 09:58 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight time
Im to damn old to be BS'ing you I modified a metal upgrade for the Big Lama to fit on my Blazing Star (53#1) you will not find a better material than the music wire it is and stays straight it is harder than your mother in laws heart and will stay straight in a crash. I used the 2mm in my sons brushless CX2 he is always crashing it and he has never bent it. To extend the shaft for the BS or the CX2 I machined a top collar that hold's two bearings which in turn lengthens the outer shaft about 1/2" very nice. Stainless and titanium shafts are always bending and are junk the music wire is spring steel you will destroy a lot of parts but not the shaft..
If he crashes the CX2 a lot, he must have bent outer shafts and they make good spacers. If you use 2mm or .078" music wire, you can make your inner shafts as long as you want as long as you make outer shaft spacers to go along with it.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
Joined Apr 2009
764 Posts
I used drill rod and it is no better than the stock shafts unless you harden it and good luck on getting it straight again it does not come in a hard state but you can oil or water harden it. As for the spacers I like what I have done my bearing cap is pressed on the outer shaft it holds two bearings spaced apart that really holds the inner shaft straight plus with the fact that the music wire is stronger with the addition of the two bearings it helps keep the outer shaft straight since the mod he has not bent an outer shaft as well..
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:14 PM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Sweet, I already figured out how to do the outer shaft spacers,
gonna get the music wire from hobbylobby today.
I also had the misfortune of owning a Blazing Star.
The servos are on my Big lama, and the rx/tx run my little lama.
The rest of it is in a box of crap, where it belongs.

I'm gonna do this to both lamas at the same time, thanks for all the
help, really.
I'm too old to BS as well, my old lady thinks I'm crazy,
until she sees something awesome, sometimes I think I'm crazy, until I build something awesome, and it flies.

Later, Tom
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
Joined Apr 2009
764 Posts
You will find that the music wire is exactly 3mm to fit into your parts you may have to polish it down a bit I used 400 grit emory cloth in my lathe I just did the ends. But it could be done in a drill press or a drill mounted in a vise just as well. It will not take much so keep trying the parts on..BTW goto www.rchelitalk.com in the build and mod section under Rays BS mods you will see what I have done with one and I am still modifing it there is only 3 stock pieces on it I got rid of the junk radio as well. But it will fly hands free for a long time it is so stabile it is almost boring... Ray
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,723 Posts
rc711 3Dpro Alu tuning kit

Hi all,

ok - not that much Yippeeeh anymore! After unpacking the rc711 parts there are a few things I dont like - and one that I still don't understand ...

I bought the kit because of the swash plate and the extended inner shaft. Unfortunately, only the swash lived up to my expectations (I had already bought the 3Dpro kit for the Lama4 - so I had certain expectations)
The swash moves smoothly, looks nicely assembled and goes well with my other tuningparts from Skytec (as it is Silver and NOT like rc711 claims "Titanium color")
the extended inner shaft gives me already a lot more of a headache - it was not bubble wrapped or anything and "roamed freely" through the package. It came with a collar attached to it - AND SLIGHTLY BENT !!
Why does that have to be?? Furthermore, the collar does not have the little "dome" like all the other collars I have ... do ... and as they are also at every upper rotorhead, so that there is a connection between rotor head and bearing or collar and bearing respectively. I think this is a pretty big NONO !! My excitement for and happiness about this mod starts to really diminish! ...

All those negatives already before I even got to install the stuff and see how it actually flies ... yikes!

Next BIG bubu/dudu .. the blade grips. Though in principal far better than the ones in the L4 sets (those were real crap) they had something else that is really annoying - at least for me:
THEY are NOT compatible to my Skytec tuning parts, even though they are made based on the same model - the original plastic stock parts! I haven't really figured out WHY they don't fit, but they sure don't (so I will have to wait for someone else making alu blade grips that fit my parts or use the parts from the set where the blade grips fit but which are of inferior material quality compared to the parts I already had.

For everyone who is interested here a quick look at the weights:

upper rotorhead: 4.64g
lowver rotorhead: 3.16g
blade grips: 6.32g (each)
swash plate: 14.49g

Once I am done installing the stuff (without the blade grips, because I want to keep using my German tuning parts) I will report back with more (and probably provide some pictures)

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Jul 12, 2009, 02:57 AM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
What a downer! One more thing to overcome.
tom
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Guys,

Just got the parts I needed. IT WORKED!!
Raised it 45.5mm.
Found out I got a broken servo in the last blade strike caused crash.
Can't get that till tomorrow.
Now, I'm gonna do the same thing to the little lama.
I actually had thought of how to do this, but I could not have pulled it off
so easily without your guys help.
Pics tomorrow.

THANKS TONS!
Tom
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Hi everyone.
Need clarification on a couple of things.

Just got the BL.

It appears that bladestrike is more common on this model than any other coax?

To reduce bladestrike there are 2 things you can mod:

Change the swash plate to the EK1-0522 swashplate?
Increase the inner shaft length?

Thanks!
xdrive is offline Find More Posts by xdrive