HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Barry,

I'm going to be putting a HeliCommand on a Heli-Baby in the next several days. It's an awesome machine.

Still waiting on the mail for new esc's for BL.

Later, Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:01 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom View Post
Barry,

I'm going to be putting a HeliCommand on a Heli-Baby in the next several days. It's an awesome machine.

Still waiting on the mail for new esc's for BL.

Later, Tom
Tom,

You are a wise man for going for the HeliCommand on the Heli-Baby as the prices of them really blows me away but they are about one of the best you can get on the market now.

Why I am going for the Flymentor is the price for one and i am just fitting this too a copterx 450SE that is much cheaper to repair/buy than a Heli-Baby, different class of heli i know but just trying to get my 450 class heli skills better less the repairs/downtime due to the odd crash or two, you no the story.

Catch you latter.........Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:40 PM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Barry,
I'm juggling an HDX 450, with a Guai GU-365 on it, (needs an esc), Little Lama, (works great), Big Lama, (needs two esc's),
HDX 500, (nededs it's esc back from Junior), a Blade 400, that I'm building into a Heli-Artist Hughes 500D fuselage, that I have painted like TC's chopper from Magnum P.I., (not done yet).
It's sweet.
And, Junior. Soon to be an AUAV, with an auto-pilot, (couple months),
big $.
You can see' I'm in deep.

So my BL will be brushless and boardless with better esc's than the kit,
and pod and boom. Not much stock left. Was working great until the "mishap", and the esc fire. More pics soon as it's done,
Postal today, I hope, four esc's, in it, including a 100 amp for Junior.

Have fun in the summer down there, wish I was in Surfer's Paradise right now. Another 1/2 inch of rain last night. Blah weather.
Oh, and if your'e a surfing fan, Mavericks is being held tomorrow, Saturday, probably late at night, your time.
Waves expected to be between 30 to 40 feet, and maybe 50!
Try cbs 5.com/us. Make sure it's from San Francisco. It's on in Hi Def here!

OK peace out mate,
Tom
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:47 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Barry View Post
Not much new there, cut down Esky flybar with adjustable weights added, 15 CDN for a flybar, how much for just the weights?

Barry
Not sure, didn't check. I warped my flybar so I didn't mind getting a new one with weights.

Moongoose, I'd sure have something to say if you were flying over my custom chevy van, be careful where you fly.

Big Lama - $125

Metal upgrades - $40

Dent and paint repairs on your neighbours car - $400 - $1000+

That's one expenisve heli!!

Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Feb 13, 2010, 01:16 AM
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Dude,
I land on cars all the time, it's fun, knowing you can't screw up!.
Trash cans, mailboxes, picnic tables are great!, dumpsters, small table tops, it's a skill builder. I only fly outside. Your custom paint, no.
My old Saab, yes.

Stay warm bro,
Tom
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:34 AM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Ok, Now that I have had time with both a boardless and a 3-1 Brushless BOL. Here are my thoughts:

The Boardless/Brushless is much more adjustment tempermental. The smallest adjustments seem to make large changes especially with the mixer. Important to note that the Boardless BOL is also being controlled with an Airttronics RDS8000. The throttle seems much smoother and it has a pretty stable feel. 3/4 throttle accent keeps the nose hold pretty good. Tail hold in FFF is remakably good. You really feel a more locked on FFF.

3-in-1 Brushless flies very good. I was actually expecting it to not function nearly as well as it does. It feels the same, control wise, as stock. But with a lot, lot, lot more power. FFF is a little less straight and 3/4 throttle accent cave a little more than a 180d turn. Throttle doesn't feel quite as smooth but I had it in a hands free hover in no wind for about 1 minute with virtually no drift. Just very very minor prop turbulents. Flew 4 stock batteries about 5 minutes each.

Other Points to note:

- Both BOLs flew about 5 minutes with a stock battery.
- The better radio was a very noticiable improvement in throttle control.
- Both BOLs have the exact same Brushless kit using 10T pinions.
- Both BOLs had a shaft extension (though I did had a blade strike! Not too bad as I was about 2 feet over a large bush that broke the fall)
- FFF on these brushless BOLs really needs to be done in a large field. (See pic ) Neighbors house got in the way during a really fast FFf. Only casualty was the Cabin, bent flybar (Fixed). Didn't break a blade since I throttled down when I knew it was too late.)

I honestly have to say, that at this point I really dont see the need of going boardles unless you fall into one of the following catagories:
- Your 3-in-1 is dead
- You have an incredible urge to tinker with chit.
- You have an upgraded radio system. (having gyro Control on the TX is )
- You have an extra gyro lying around.... Soooo why not
- Helicopter OCD and it's a MOD! So, you gotta do it!

I still plan on putting my boardless components in, but I'll wait until I upgrade my radio
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Old Feb 13, 2010, 03:51 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Dan,

A good read that and I agree for the most part. Only thing I would question is that for my "brushless with 3in1 kit" was not the same control wise as stock. Stock was better. Perhaps they have improved the converters.....

Away just to add imo the boardless conversion really shows its hand over the kit if

1) you set yourself a challenging obstacle course, between poles and up and unders
2) or do a fast sweeping turn with aileron and rudder
3) or try an ambitious turn at the end of a high speed run

plus the things you mention.

Simon

PS. Ouch! a broken nose. Bad luck mate!
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:04 AM
Member of the RC OCD Group
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Jan 2010
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Hi Dan,

A good read that and I agree for the most part. Only thing I would question is that for my "brushless with 3in1 kit" was not the same control wise as stock. Stock was better. Perhaps they have improved the converters.....

Away just to add imo the boardless conversion really shows its hand over the kit if

1) you set yourself a challenging obstacle course, between poles and up and unders
2) or do a fast sweeping turn with aileron and rudder
3) or try an ambitious turn at the end of a high speed run

plus the things you mention.

Simon

PS. Ouch! a broken nose. Bad luck mate!
agreed, The right stick and yaw combination is much better on the boardless.
bbrstorm is offline Find More Posts by bbrstorm
Old Feb 13, 2010, 09:19 AM
Joined Feb 2010
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
Not sure, didn't check. I warped my flybar so I didn't mind getting a new one with weights.

Moongoose, I'd sure have something to say if you were flying over my custom chevy van, be careful where you fly.

Big Lama - $125

Metal upgrades - $40

Dent and paint repairs on your neighbours car - $400 - $1000+

That's one expenisve heli!!

Hahah,good point,ill keep that in mind til next time
moongoose is offline Find More Posts by moongoose
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:36 AM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,840 Posts
Welll, I fit the following criteria so I guess I'll still have to do it. Besides, I want the Esky 3in1 for my CX3 so that I can use 3s

Now if only my Y connector would show up.................

And the DX6i that I ordered this week!!!

[QUOTE=bbrstorm;14338055]I honestly have to say, that at this point I really dont see the need of going boardles unless you fall into one of the following catagories:

- You have an incredible urge to tinker with chit.
- You have an upgraded radio system. (having gyro Control on the TX is )
- You have an extra gyro lying around.... Soooo why not
- Helicopter OCD and it's a MOD! So, you gotta do it!

QUOTE]
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Feb 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,790 Posts
Show of hands...
How many of you BOL owners have replaced your gears? And found them easy to get off or very difficult? What was your trick? If you don't mind me asking that is. I don't need to do it yet. Just wanna be prepared. Thanks for your time. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Lee,

I have not replace the gears so far, touch wood just removed them for maintanance.

The main one that can cause problems is the bottom gear; make sure you have the Allen key that fits the grub screw with no movement. Guys have said the soldering iron heat on the end of the grub screw also works.

Barry
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:11 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,790 Posts
I have heard this, but you say that yours came off without heat? Thanks Barry. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:17 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Hi Lee,

Yep I have both hands raised. I had to replace the gears after the crash at the end of my Wacky Races video lol. A chipped tooth that would have upset the onboard video I enjoy taking.

Anyway. Its easy but be very careful with the 1.5mm allen key. The grub (hex) screws on the inner shaft gear are made from a soft (cheep!) metal. Don't try and rush the job - you will round a hex screw.

The little bearing is a swine on the outer shaft gear. You should buy new rather than try to swap (EK1-0509 is a 4 pack that costs the same as those listed in the handbook sold singularly). You can swap them but its hard not to cause unseen damage when you pop them out the old gear. Press an new one in applying pressure on the outer race only. Use a small socket (4mm?) as a drift if you like.

When re-assembling the outer shaft gear, don't over tighten the screws and use a little thread lock. Its worth rolling each shaft on you desk with AND without the new gear on the check the shaft and gear runs true.

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Feb 14, 2010, 03:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
I replaced the grub screw with a screw that way if the head gets worn out you can get some pliers on it to remove the screw.

Barry