HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:31 PM
Registered User
BPINE's Avatar
San Jose Ca
Joined Jun 2009
480 Posts
I purchased the kit from RC711 and waiting for it's arrival. Has anyone installed one yet? IMO the Big Lama needs some serious help for outside flying in any wind at all.
BPINE is offline Find More Posts by BPINE
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 02:53 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
hdtvtom's Avatar
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Jack,

Sven has a point. I also love to mod everything. I did not deconstruct a
Big Lama, I bought a whole bunch of parts and put it together, some I already had. I only fly outside, (my living room is too small), and I don't understand how they can call these things indoor, unless you live in a gym, or love to crash into your ceiling, TV, or furniture.
The only thing left to do to it is an extended inner shaft, (not yet available), and brushless motors, (available). I just put an extended inner shaft on my V3, and no more blade strikes! . I also put on the Extreme Prod. SE 180 motors and doubled the power, get a bigger battery, 1000mah,
and it will go way too fast for indoor, mine rocks!
As with the small Lama, any really sharp turn at high speed will cause
a blade strike and crash, without an extended inner shaft, (hurry up
Airy and or Extreme!).
Just remember, our friends in the East want us to crash ,
and buy more parts. If you build your own machine, you can nip the planned obsolscence in the bud, and you will have a much more reliable heli.
It will, however, cost you more money .

In response to the Aussies, you can use any rx you want, I'm using a
HiTec OS 5S, single conv., with the original Esky crystal and radio from my
V3. My V3 now uses a Wankera 4 in 1 and TX from my defunct resting in pieces Blazing Star, (really a Wankera 53#1). I intend to upgrade that
to a HiTec rx, so I can use my Optic 6 for my Big Lama.

Hey Tom, keep it short!

Hope that helps,

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Last edited by hdtvtom; Jul 06, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:41 PM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Jack,

My V3 now uses a Wankera 4 in 1 and TX from my defunct resting in pieces Blazing Star, (really a Wankera 53#1).

Hope that helps,

Tom
Doesn't the Walkera 4-in-1 run on 3.7V (1 cell)? Does it do OK with the 7.4V and 180 size motors? I had my transmitter cause me all kinds of problems about a month or so ago, and I have 2 each Walkera transmitters for my palm size heli's. Don't forget there is always the Turborix or Exceed programmable transmitter for either $40 or $60 with additional receivers at $15 each! The only down side is that changes have to be made through your computer.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2009, 11:01 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Doesn't the Walkera 4-in-1 run on 3.7V (1 cell)? Does it do OK with the 7.4V and 180 size motors? I had my transmitter cause me all kinds of problems about a month or so ago, and I have 2 each Walkera transmitters for my palm size heli's. Don't forget there is always the Turborix or Exceed programmable transmitter for either $40 or $60 with additional receivers at $15 each! The only down side is that changes have to be made through your computer.
Jack,
the Walkera 53#1 or the Exceed Blazing Star (which is actually the same) are both 45cm rotor diameter helis with 370 motors that fly with a 1200mAh 7.4V battery. (to me that means this 4in1 should actually even have better "on board" ESC's than the ones in an original Lama3/4 4in1)

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 01:34 AM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
hdtvtom's Avatar
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Jack,

Again, SVEN is right. I also have two extra Walkera TXs. One from a
60B and one from a Blazing Star. You have to reverse the ail and elv switches
on the tx, or at least I had to. The 4 in 1 is the RX-406. The first one fried, the second fried, got in a big beef with XHeli, and EHirobo. Five months later I
had three of them, the new batch works. The RX-406 runs 370 motors at
7.4V, but not for very long. It runs 180's at 7.4 very nicely. It will not accept
an Esky crystal. I just had to replace one yesterday, I would say it lasted
for about two hours total usage, when the mixer started getting screwy, thus
very poor tail control. New one works fine, for now.

The funny thing is both of these helis are mostly Esky and part Walkera,
and they both out perform their original selves.
Yeah, I'm proud of them, I feel like I won a war with the RTF myth.
I call it RTC, ready to crash.

I just flew my little lama outside tonight, I put a lighted flybar on it.
Very cool. Full Moon tonight, no wind here, gonna go high. Pic tomorrow, wish me luck.

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:15 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Jack,

Again, SVEN is right. I also have two extra Walkera TXs. One from a
60B and one from a Blazing Star. You have to reverse the ail and elv switches
on the tx, or at least I had to. The 4 in 1 is the RX-406. The first one fried, the second fried, got in a big beef with XHeli, and EHirobo. Five months later I
had three of them, the new batch works. The RX-406 runs 370 motors at
7.4V, but not for very long. It runs 180's at 7.4 very nicely. It will not accept
an Esky crystal. I just had to replace one yesterday, I would say it lasted
for about two hours total usage, when the mixer started getting screwy, thus
very poor tail control. New one works fine, for now.

The funny thing is both of these helis are mostly Esky and part Walkera,
and they both out perform their original selves.
Yeah, I'm proud of them, I feel like I won a war with the RTF myth.
I call it RTC, ready to crash.

I just flew my little lama outside tonight, I put a lighted flybar on it.
Very cool. Full Moon tonight, no wind here, gonna go high. Pic tomorrow, wish me luck.

Tom
Like with most Walkera's, the situation sounds pretty iffy. It would have been nice if it was a proven combination. My only problem/ quirk with my Lama 4, right now, is that it porpoises. In forward flight it goes about 10 feet, stops and levels out and then goes another 10 feet. It has Aero Nutz motors and longer servo arms on the 2nd hole from the center. Before that, it flew like a brick.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 08:33 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
Like with most Walkera's, the situation sounds pretty iffy. It would have been nice if it was a proven combination. My only problem/ quirk with my Lama 4, right now, is that it porpoises. In forward flight it goes about 10 feet, stops and levels out and then goes another 10 feet. It has Aero Nutz motors and longer servo arms on the 2nd hole from the center. Before that, it flew like a brick.

It STILL does it, Jack?? (Porpoising I mean?)
There is a German website talking about this phenomenon (as it is all written in German, I suppose it will not be a big help, but if you look at the pictures , that describes your problem, right Jack?
So, there they say, your CG has to be slightly behind the rotor mast/ main shafts (about 5mm) - I don't get my mind around why the heli gets frontheavy if the CG is behind the main vertical axis (but that may just be due to the time of the day )
Anyway, they say, the heli has to be front heavy (nothing really new) - at least slightly. They also explain there, how it is the flybar that wants to stabilize your heli, which means if you use one of those short flybars (the ones which are about 14cm total length - like the new short one from helitek), you should decrease the porposing because the flybars' ability to stabilize decreases the shorter it gets. If you are still able to control the heli when the weights move further in, then this is another way to decrease it. If you are using an aftermarket tailboom, you could consider shortening the tailboom a bit (which will also make the heli more frontheavy)

Just tossing around ideas here ....

Let us know what you plan to do about the CG ...
Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:09 AM
Registered User
kodak_jack's Avatar
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
10,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2

It STILL does it, Jack?? (Porpoising I mean?)
There is a German website talking about this phenomenon (as it is all written in German, I suppose it will not be a big help, but if you look at the pictures , that describes your problem, right Jack?
So, there they say, your CG has to be slightly behind the rotor mast/ main shafts (about 5mm) - I don't get my mind around why the heli gets frontheavy if the CG is behind the main vertical axis (but that may just be due to the time of the day )
Anyway, they say, the heli has to be front heavy (nothing really new) - at least slightly. They also explain there, how it is the flybar that wants to stabilize your heli, which means if you use one of those short flybars (the ones which are about 14cm total length - like the new short one from helitek), you should decrease the porposing because the flybars' ability to stabilize decreases the shorter it gets. If you are still able to control the heli when the weights move further in, then this is another way to decrease it. If you are using an aftermarket tailboom, you could consider shortening the tailboom a bit (which will also make the heli more frontheavy)

Just tossing around ideas here ....

Let us know what you plan to do about the CG ...
Regards,
Sven
I still have the problem because I haven't gotten around to getting a shorter flybar yet. I'm juggling 5 heli's and they all have their particular quirks. Shorten the boom? Why not get rid of it?!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 01:49 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I still have the problem because I haven't gotten around to getting a shorter flybar yet. I'm juggling 5 heli's and they all have their particular quirks. Shorten the boom? Why not get rid of it?!!
Because its so difficult to differentiate between front and back ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 02:35 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
hdtvtom's Avatar
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Porpoising, wobble, my new lighted flybar from Xtreme was so light all my V3
would do is try to track right then left and then you over correct, etc.
I taped a dime to each side, 2.2g each, balanced it, it made it much more stable, but I still can not put it in a "parked hover" for a couple of seconds, like I could with the stock flybar. Frustrating.

I'm certain that if you shorten your flybar you will lose stability, if you don't increase the weight. Centrifugal force, etc. I have not tried a short one yet,
but basic physics applies. Lighten the flybar, lose stability, that I have tried.

I want a HELIBABY!!

Here's the pic, guess where I landed. You're comments please
Sure looked cool. Note the flood light on the front!

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Last edited by hdtvtom; Jul 07, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 02:56 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Porpoising, wobble, my new lighted flybar from Xtreme was so light all my V3
would do is try to track right then left and then you over correct, etc.
I taped a dime to each side, 2.2g each, balanced it, it made it much more stable, but I still can not put it in a "parked hover" for a couple of seconds, like I could with the stock flybar. Frustrating.

I'm certain that if you shorten your flybar you will lose stability, if you don't increase the weight. Centrifugal force, etc. I have not tried a short one yet,
but basic physics applies. Lighten the flybar, lose stability, that I have tried.

I want a HELIBABY!!

Here's the pic, guess where I landed. You're comments please
Sure looked cool. Note the flood light on the front!

Tom
Really interesting pic! I like this type of SFX. but thats ot! what do you mean your new flybar from xtreme was so light ....
Are the xtreme parts for the BIG Lama finally out now - or are you talking about something totally different?

Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:07 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
hdtvtom's Avatar
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Sven,
That's a small lama with the Xtreme lighted flybar. No lights on my Big Lama yet. The Xtreme lighted flybar is to LIGHTWEIGHT. I had to add 4.6g to it and stability is still marginal.

Have you got a HeliBaby yet?

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 07, 2009, 03:12 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Sven,
That's a small lama with the Xtreme lighted flybar. No lights on my Big Lama yet. The Xtreme lighted flybar is to LIGHTWEIGHT. I had to add 4.6g to it and stability is still marginal.

Have you got a HeliBaby yet?

Tom
Do I have a helibaby? Don't have - won't have ... surely would love to have. But that is kind of out of my league (and I fear it will stay there)
Concerning the Xtreme lighted flybar ... I honestly don't understand that - I had one on my Lama4 and never had any stability issues - that's weird ..

Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:22 AM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
hdtvtom's Avatar
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
525 Posts
Sven,
I don't get that either. I flew it today, with the dimes still attached,
and it behaved normally. I did not tweak anything. Took it down to the park,
remember I put Xtreme motors on it. Fast? Really fast. Ripping big circles and eights. So I say cool,
let's go faster, I think I got 25 mph, had to turn and blade strike.
8mm is not enough. Damage-- two blades and the flybar, which, by the way, is made from the cheasiest steel ever. Bad Xreme.

Flew my Big Lama today as well, simple slow speed turn and blade strike.
NOT pilot error. Tell Xreme and or Airy to make them longer. I think at least 14mm for the little lama and at least 24mm for the Big.

I would jus make it myself, ever tried to find a 2 foot length of of any meal at 3mm diameter. Don't bother trying, I have.
Oh, I did find it in Taiwan, minimum order: 76 tons.

I think between the two of us, we can perfect these platforms.
I know what they need, just finding the parts.

Peace,
Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 09, 2009, 07:23 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
erdnuckel2's Avatar
Joined Mar 2009
10,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvtom
Sven,
...
So I say cool, let's go faster, I think I got 25 mph, had to turn and blade strike.
8mm is not enough. Damage-- two blades and the flybar, which, by the way, is made from the cheasiest steel ever. Bad Xreme.

Flew my Big Lama today as well, simple slow speed turn and blade strike.
NOT pilot error. Tell Xreme and or Airy to make them longer. I think at least 14mm for the little lama and at least 24mm for the Big.
....

I think between the two of us, we can perfect these platforms.
I know what they need, just finding the parts.

Peace,
Tom
Hey Tom, really sorry to hear that, but it IS true, you just have to look in the right places Those places do exist !! (even if Xtreme still has not released ANY of the parts they announced for the BIG Lama a month ago ... as for the bigger blades - they had been announced since March and are STILL not available ... pretty lame - than rather announce later and don't keep people waiting like this )

But here is the thing:
I am still of the opinion that the rotorhead/flybar combo that I have for my BIG Lama is the BEST aftermarket stuff you can get (right now - but it will be better than Xtreme once they finally release their stuff). BTW the rotorhead/flybar combo I use is also available for the "little" Lama (see HERE ; double click on the picture for full screen mode, do it again for exit )

OTmode on:
As far as blade strikes with the little lama go, I had the unfortunate experience of finding out that Xtremes 8mm are not enough quite a while ago. The shaft on the picture with my L4 is 20mm longer (and you still get blade strike every once in a while - but much much less! -and the material that is used is just higher quality material.) The goal of REALLY eliminating blade strikes seems to be almost reached thanks to Ernie from helitek-rc - he offers the best inner shaft I know at the moment and will AFAIK soon have
25mm longer inner shafts. Combine that with carbon fiber blades and it REALLY is "Good bye blade strikes!!"
OTmode off:

but this is a BIG Lama thread, so let me write something about the BIG too:
As I already mentioned, I am convinced, the rotorhead/flybar combo on my BIG is the best on the market and WILL be better than the one that Xtreme plans to come out with (sure, its also more expensive - but as I said, I am convinced worth every penny). This rotorhead/flybar combo will be even better, once I receive the TUNING PARTS I ordered a couple of days ago - really just for the SWASHPLATE and the EXTENDED SHAFT (btw, I read here that they plan to sell the extended shaft by itselft soon - so no more need to drop 34$ if you only want a 6$ part) ... I don't really trust the other stuff (blade grips) or don''t need it anymore (upper head and lower had - as I mentioned, I am convinced I already HAVE better ones) but the swash and the longer inner shaft ... oh man!
Plus, as I wrote in another post in this thread, I am in contact with a company where I was told the ETA for longer OUTER shafts is early August (and I may be able to get those custom length, which means I will try to get 25mm longer)
Was this good news, Tom??

Best regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Brushless Esky Big lama northaustin Coaxial Helicopters 39 Apr 06, 2011 09:36 PM
Discussion Esky Big Lama! quadracer111 Coaxial Helicopters 243 May 18, 2010 07:20 PM
Discussion ESky Lama v3 blades and upgrades? rcwyant Coaxial Helicopters 18 Mar 01, 2010 07:56 PM
Discussion any pics of esky lama with all aluminum upgrades? STi489 Coaxial Helicopters 2 Aug 17, 2009 04:18 AM
Question Esky v4 Lama upgrades RBS Micro Helis 3 Jan 20, 2008 05:46 PM