HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:31 AM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Hi Guys,
Thought you might like to see what I did with my BL.
I built it from scratch. Hi Sven.
TRex 250 canopy
Stock frame, motors, 3 in 1, gears and main shaft, and stabilizer.
old left over tail boom.
Super strong landing struts from I can't remember,
with homemade carbon skids.
Airy BL CNC head from RCHelicoptershop.com, don't forget the loctite!
Old Walkera servos left over from a destroyed 60B.
HiTec 5 ch RX 72 single conv, stock TX from my V3.

Airy blades are too flexible, stick to the stock ones,
these broke by blade strike on a simple move, and they're
too expensive.
Added a bearing between the main gears to reduce friction,
the shaft collar bearing fits perfect.

Battery, 1350mah, 15c, 11.1 mega power.
Had a twelve min. flight outdoors yesterday in very light wind.
Flies flawlessly!

Tom
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Joe,

Michael & Yang from Decent Devil made an exception for me see below extract from the e-mail that they sent to me.

We can offer the Lama fuselage for 30 USD each to you, plus shipping costs, which are at about 17 USD to Australia for one pc, 24 USD for 2 pcs.
We got informed by one of our clients for your inquiry

We are normally not retailing items, but we do not have client in Australia carrying this item at the moment. So we can take exception.

I have only tried the Big Lama with the MD500 Fiber Glass Fuselage in the Lounge room so far and seems to handle better with the extra weight (428g less battery). It is raining today at Sydney so outdoor trial is a no go

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Last edited by Flying Barry; Jun 23, 2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 01:53 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
That looks cool, Tom. That's kinda what I want to do. How did you mount the tail boom?
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Tom,

Picture of the tail boom mout would be good to see?

Barry
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:18 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,869 Posts
Hard Blades ??

Hi All,

today something really wonderful happened - the USPS brought the package I have been waiting for for more than 2 weeks since it left the sorting facility about 25 miles away from my house !!

So here is my idea for blades:

TRY the ones from the Walkera Lama 400 !! They are a bit longer but a lot less flexible the any other blades available !!
If you are afraid of blade strike, cut the 23mm off which they are longer than stock !! But they fit perfectly in the blade grips.
And the slightly larger rotor diameter should provide for noticeably more lift ...

... I could not do an actual flight test yet but that will follow (hopefully inc. vid) ASAP

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Sven,

Do you know the part number for the Walkera Lama 400 blades?

Have a look at these carbon blades (Art-Tech) but the price

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Big-lama-370-...3286.m20.l1116

Barry
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:44 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Barry
Sven,

Do you know the part number for the Walkera Lama 400 blades?

Have a look at these carbon blades (Art-Tech) but the price

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Big-lama-370-...3286.m20.l1116

Barry
Hi Barry,

the problem with the blades you show is that the are much thicker at the part that gets screwed into the blade grip ... for that price you will have a lot of filing to do before those will fit into the blade grips for a BIG Lama ,
I knew them from Germany, there they are sold under the brand name Carson, also for a price about 4-5 times the next expensive ones ... but like I said, the will not fit in the blade grips!

The Lama400 blades are available at any site that offers the Walkera Lama400 and spare parts. I got mine from here !! , but any other site carrying the Lama400 will have them as well ...

They are A LOT less flexible than any other blades I tried for the BIG up to now - and who does not like that they are about 23mm longer ... cut that part off !! (A shorter flybar is WAAAAY more important to avoid blade strikes than less flexible blades anyway !!)

As soon as I have the opportunity, a little vid will follow.....

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Jun 20, 2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hi Sven,

Thanks for the heads up on the carbon blades, just looking, thatís all.

I will try the Walkera Lama 400 blades #HM-LM400-Z-01 as this will help with the lift with my MD500 Fiber Glass Fuselage.

Barry
Old Jun 20, 2009, 03:06 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,869 Posts
Maybe some day some one will have mercy with all the tens of thousands of people who fly Esky and Walkera as opposed to the kind of "exotic" art-tech/carson brand ...

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2009, 06:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:
They are A LOT less flexible than any other blades I tried for the BIG up to now - and who does not like that they are about 23mm longer ... cut that part off !! (A shorter flybar is WAAAAY more important to avoid blade strikes than less flexible blades anyway !!)
Sven,

I have a spare flybar for the Big Lama that I can modify, how much shorter in your opinion do you think it should be anyway? Lets say total length.

Barry
Old Jun 20, 2009, 07:04 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,869 Posts
shorter flybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Barry
Sven,

I have a spare flybar for the Big Lama that I can modify, how much shorter in your opinion do you think it should be anyway? Lets say total length.

Barry
I have not done this mod on the BIG myself as I DON'T have a spare flybar ( ... YET ... ), but as far as people did this in the German forum, to cut a flybar by about 1/7 of the length seems to be a pretty good ratio (the flybar for the BIG is 25cm (or 25.2 or 25.1) the guys there cut it to 21cm and reported that it does not have a noticeable impact on "flyability" in other words what you can read there is 21cm (or 21.5 which would be exactly 25*6/7) and it still is perfectly stable or in EVEN other words "cut 2cm on each side of the flybar (total, don't forget that it has that kind of loop that must be "recreated" after cutting) and it still flies perfectly stable.
The same ratio is what a lot of people (this time INCLUDING me) use as a rule of thumb for the "little" L4

... and that's exactly how much I will shorten the spare flybar once it arrives

Regards,
Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2009, 12:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hi Sven

Like you have stated above #41 cutting down the flybar 2cm at each end works spot on, no blade strikes when you go from foward to reverse anymore. I have also order the Walkera Lama 400 blades #HM-LM400-Z-01 to see how they go. Keep the great info coming on any tips.

Barry
Old Jun 22, 2009, 01:07 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
(total, don't forget that it has that kind of loop that must be "recreated" after cutting) Regards,
Sven
you don't need to recreate the loop in the ends of the fly bar, just buy some Du-Bro collars and add as many as you need, to each side. You will find you can experiment this way getting just the right weight to make it fly the best

this is what i did to my Lama V3 and Robbins so can't see why it wouldn't work with the big bird

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:48 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
you don't need to recreate the loop in the ends of the fly bar, just buy some Du-Bro collars and add as many as you need, to each side. You will find you can experiment this way getting just the right weight to make it fly the best

this is what i did to my Lama V3 and Robbins so can't see why it wouldn't work with the big bird

cheers chuck
Thanks Chuck,
but which size of those do I use ? (if the flybar rod is 0.07" ?)

Thanks ...

Regards, Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:53 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Thanks for the info on the 370 blades, i was just going to pay for them when i seen you post. I to fly the big 500 esky lama, i hear xtreme parts are coming out soon for the big esky lama, xtreme blades, xtreme motors, xtreme light steel parts and xtreme canopy.
MY ONLY WISH IS THAT WALKERA OR ESKY WOULD MAKE A LAMA CO-AXIAL THE SIZE AND WITH THE POWER OF THE HONEY BEE KING 2/3
ESKY AND WALKERA WAKE UP THE WORLD IS WAITING FOR YOU TO MAKE THIS HELICOPTER !
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071