HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,526 Posts
Flew it with the shortened flybar today. Still has the TBE which caused some problems at first but then it seemed to settle down. It flew nice but definitely less stable. I was waiting for it to death dive and was scared to do left turns but was real careful flying it and it stayed in the air. Nice flight. Yaw issue was not as bad today with a better battery so I left it alone for now. At first I thought I might put the old flybar back on but I think I'll give this a chance for now. Wind was light to none. It did seem to be able to move forward under hover throttle where I don't think it could before, you had to punch it a bit. Thanks, Owner1!
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:06 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,563 Posts
Anybody still fly these? I just spectrumized mine. hehe
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,526 Posts
Ooh Ooh! A post on the Big Lama thread. I have not flown mine in ages, it sits on the shelf but it is on display and I love it and will never sell it. It has a shortened flybar but it feels too loose with it. Need to find the original and fly it on windless days. I have mine converted to Flysky radio and the original failed long ago. My father in law has one new in box.. I should get it from him.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 09:49 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,563 Posts
May I ask you a question about your setup?
Was wondering, did you still use your gyro/mixer? I used a ar6100e rx from spectrum and the mixer for mine. I am not a big fan of the mixer, just it is what I had on hand to make it work.
Lee
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:25 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
May I ask you a question about your setup?
Was wondering, did you still use your gyro/mixer? I used a ar6100e rx from spectrum and the mixer for mine. I am not a big fan of the mixer, just it is what I had on hand to make it work.
Lee
I STILL did not try to finish spectrumizing - but IKNOW that you can use the stock BOL 3in1 for it ... You just have to work around the timing issues. A guy on the German forum explained to me exactly how to do this (and I passed this on to several people over the last few years … seems to always have worked out)

(Oh, and BTW I have one NIB left somewhere in storage myself ...)
(Oh2: I did the FlySky rx with a V4 quite some time ago ... After some time tweaking that actually worked out great! (As the channel order on FlySky is the same like stock ESKY ... Contrary to Spectrum protocol...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:54 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,563 Posts
Ahoy E2!!! It was really simple to convert mine this time. hahaha. I tried it in acro mode. Havn't tried a heli mode yet. No need to. This worked perfect for me with a dx8. Easy peasy.
Lee
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Ahoy E2!!! It was really simple to convert mine this time. hahaha. I tried it in acro mode. Havn't tried a heli mode yet. No need to. This worked perfect for me with a dx8. Easy peasy.
Lee
Good!! (THIS is how it is supposed to be ...)

(I should really play around with my BOL again too ... BUT - so many helis, so little time ... )
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,526 Posts
With my flysky it worked with the stock mixer no problem. Just had to get channel assignments right in er9x.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:11 PM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
With my flysky it worked with the stock mixer no problem. Just had to get channel assignments right in er9x.
exactly - what I want is to NOT have to do any channel assignments

(but that worked fine with the V4 ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:39 PM
United States, PA, Clarks Summit
Joined Oct 2005
167 Posts
Quote:
Anybody still fly these? I just spectrumized mine. hehe
Lee
I'm still flying mine Lee, and hopefully it will keep going for some time to come. With the setup I have it's much better than the stock, a lot more power, speed, control and stability and needless to say doesn't mind a little wind at all.

I've mentioned my setup in past post's but here's a summary of it:
Stock frame and servos, upgraded Skytec swash , blade grips, flybar, etc., Phase II Acro Blades, 2 ADH300L 3000Kv motors
2 e-Power 20amp brushless ESC's
OlliW's GA250 Gyromixer
The stock BOL TX and TX
Super Skids to accommodate a larger 1200mah battery underneath the skids.
I think that's all of it.
The most important upgrade that ties every thing together into a great flying bird in my opinion is the GyroMixer.
Doing these upgrades wasn't cheap but in the long run was worth every penny if you want to enjoy flying a much better than stock coaxial.
bebev is offline Find More Posts by bebev
Last edited by bebev; Jun 12, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:07 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
exactly - what I want is to NOT have to do any channel assignments

(but that worked fine with the V4 ...)
I don't see what the problem is, it's just moving around the plugs until it works.. Am I missing something? Or with open source you choose your own channels.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:14 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,563 Posts
I plugged everything into the appropriate channels on mine, and it worked fine. Well, I may have had to reverse a couple. haha. And I had a dang motor lead come undone. But after all of that, it worked great. So far at least.
By the way...it sure is good to talk to y'all again.
Lee
Old Jun 12, 2014, 08:30 PM
Get up, Get the shot, Get back
Mill Valley Ca.
Joined May 2009
521 Posts
Hey y'all,

Mine's been canabilized for parts but could be made flyable in minutes, servos, rx
missing. I had a Hitec rx on it.
I have moved on to multirotors, and am flying cameras finally.
It's a big bucks heavy lifter quad, weighs in at just shy of 8 lbs., half of that is the battery, 13.5ah, I got a 19.5 minute flight time!! That's huuuuuuuuuugggge!!
T
hdtvtom is offline Find More Posts by hdtvtom
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:09 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,563 Posts
13.5 ah??? And only 20 minutes? hahahaha. I would have guessed about a day and a half.
LOLOL
Lee
Old Jun 14, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I don't see what the problem is, it's just moving around the plugs until it works.. Am I missing something? Or with open source you choose your own channels.
well, here is the "problem":
on esky rx the "order" of the channels is different than on eflite. (I dont have an rx here to look it up, but I think on Esky it is ELE-AIL-THR-RUD and on eflite it is THR-ELE-AIL-RUD ... or something kinda like this. And THIS order has to be identical or it wont work ... at least this is what I read all the time. So just moving around the plugs alone should NOT get you where you want to be ...)
RCG Plus Member