HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:23 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend
^ I guess I was hoping to use some of the batteries I already have, before I have to spend $ on 3 or 4 more batteries.

Hi Joe,
obviously Barry knows more about elctronics like I do - so I learnt something today - thanx Barry.
Concerning batteries, I would also have a SUGGESTION

Might even be a little less than getting the batteries individually, I'm just not sure how much.

Anyway, just my 2C as usual

Regards,
Sven
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2009, 07:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Sven,

As a rule of thumb, you can over power within reason? but do not under power, Mosfets will blow.

PS: If you have any questions In regards to electronics, please ask Paul Daniels that is based at North Queensland, Australia and he also has a forum to ask questions on RC Groups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/nqrc-pldaniels-electronics-618/

Regards

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Last edited by Flying Barry; Jun 12, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:45 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
478 Posts
Just to be the devil's advocate, I question whether using 7.4 V is a bad thing for the Big Lama. The Walkera 53Q uses two 370 motors and comes stock with 7.4 V Li-Pos. What's up with that?

Other than that, I can see two problems:

1)The 3-n-1 is set to reduce power when the 11.1 V Li-Po voltage drops to a certain level so you won't over discharge your battery. You'll know when this happens because it takes full throttle just to hover (means time to land). So you might run into that fairly soon after takeoff if you start with 7.4.

2) With 7.4 you won't have as much power at full throttle, as with 11.1, so it's possible you will barely be able to hover, and have no power against mild wind.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:15 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Barry
JDFiend,

Point taken, and very wise on your be half.

What type of Helis do you have?

I have the following, just to name a couple.

Belt CP Carbone x 1
Belt CP STD x 1
Trex 450 x 1
Copter x 2 Carbone
Honey Bee King x 2 (1 x Xtreme Productions and 1 x Carbone x 1)
Lama 3 & 4(s) x ? with Xtreme Productions upgades

Regards

Barry
Barry,

Here's what I have right now:

Blade CX2 w/ Xtreme upgrades and motors
Lama V4 stock for indoor flying
Exceed RC Falcon 40 FP
EXI 450 Squadron
Belt CP Carbon

I'm a pretty good co-axial pilot, but I'm still a novice CP pilot, which is why I would like to get a Big Lama. I want something Big that can do some outdoor park flying.

I actually crashed my Belt CP yesterday (really bad) A bolt came loose in the frame, and the whole thing came to pieces in the air!

Now I need to remove the electronics and install them on a new airframe, Probably another EXI kit. I need to decide what to spend my money on first. The Big Lama, or another EXI.

Decisions, Decisions! lol

Joe
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Joe,

What bolt came loose on the Belt CP to make it come to pieces in the air ?

I can tell you that the Big Lama is far better to fly than the Lama V4 so I hope this helps you to make the decision between the Big Lama and another EXI.

Note: If you do purchase the Big Lama? Remove the EK5-0203 swashplate from your crashed Belt CP and then carry out the swashplate Mod at the start of this thread. This will help to save the B blades from hitting the A blades.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=1

Barry
Last edited by Flying Barry; Jun 13, 2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 03:48 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Barry,

I'm not quite sure which bolt came loose in my Belt CP. I think it was either a ball link screw in the swash plate, or a motor mount screw. It all happened so fast, and now it is too mangled to tell.

It's pretty depressing, as I had it hovering really steady until this happened. My carbon fiber frame, tail boom, and CNC head are all destroyed. It would probably be too expensive to replace all this, which is why I'm thinking a new airframe would be a cheaper/easier fix. I'm surprised that the carbon fiber pieces broke so easily. I thought carbon fiber was supposed to be Very strong.

Have you tried installing an AR6100 on your Big Lama? What Tx are you using for your helis? I have a DX6i. I'm wondering if their would be any advantages to flying the Big Lama on a DX6i. I'm guessing that you could turn up the servo travel adjust to get a bit faster forward and backward flight.

Joe
Old Jun 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend

Have you tried installing an AR6100 on your Big Lama? What Tx are you using for your helis? I have a DX6i. I'm wondering if their would be any advantages to flying the Big Lama on a DX6i. I'm guessing that you could turn up the servo travel adjust to get a bit faster forward and backward flight.

Joe
How about "programmable throttle curve" ... I may have no clue how to do this, but I know it is possible and everybody with "real" transmitters says this is a big advantage ...

Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2009, 11:13 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:

Joe
I have been using the STD Esky TX & RX and I was going to changes this because of the intermitted glitches with the STD Esky TX & RX.

I have now added the GWS R-6NII 6ch Naro type RX and using my JR PCM9XII TX and it is dead easy to setup, see below the channel assignment and the picture of the setup on the Big Lama.

STD Esky RX channels
1 = Aileron
2 = Elevator
3 = Throttle
4 = Rudder

GWS R-6NII 6ch Naro type RX
1 = Throttle (Servo Direction = Normal)
2 = Aileron (Servo Direction = Normal)
3 = Elevator (Servo Direction = Reverse)
4 = Rudder (Servo Direction = Normal)

Note: The above is a guide and will vary with different brands of TX & RX. Always remove the Blades and flybar when you are make these type of changes other wise damage to you and the helicopter will be the end result.

Barry.
Last edited by Flying Barry; Jun 14, 2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 08:02 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2
How about "programmable throttle curve" ... I may have no clue how to do this, but I know it is possible and everybody with "real" transmitters says this is a big advantage ...

Sven
I could be wrong, but I think that programmable throttle curve is very useful IF you have a CP (Collective Pitch) single rotor heli. That way you can program the Pitch Curve separate from the Throttle Curve.

Big Lama is an FP (Fixed Pitch) so there is no Pitch Curve to program.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:16 AM
brisbane australia
Joined Apr 2007
141 Posts
Ive emailed rc711 , 3dpro cnc in production . Hope they are nothing like the cnc purple around now . They are looking into extended innershaft . Xtreme upgrades looks nice . I really just want innershaft or just cnc top , not the full kit . This Helis been available for ages now , never seen the options parts guys so slow too respond .
Russell..
russell from aus is offline Find More Posts by russell from aus
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell from aus
Ive emailed rc711 , 3dpro cnc in production . Hope they are nothing like the cnc purple around now . They are looking into extended innershaft . Xtreme upgrades looks nice . I really just want innershaft or just cnc top , not the full kit . This Helis been available for ages now , never seen the options parts guys so slow too respond .
Russell..
Hi Russell,

Take a look at THIS !! CNC made in Germany for the BIG Lama from Esky. The inner shafts (which are due around August) may even be customizable by customer as much as the length is concerned - I have to get back to the manufacturer regarding this question (or what would be your suggestion for an extended shaft length? +20mm ... +30mm ...)
Always open for comments (and the company is as well ... )

I'm very interested in your opinion ... and if you like more detailed info, send me a PM please ...

Regards,
Sven
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:38 AM
brisbane australia
Joined Apr 2007
141 Posts
Hi Sven , Product looks nice . Re size of extension [ distance between ] upper lower blades . With the flex of whats available "now blades ". Getting + 30mm distance would be a good start . Russell
russell from aus is offline Find More Posts by russell from aus
Old Jun 20, 2009, 12:50 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Will a standard TREX 450 canopy fit on the Big Lama?
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Quote:
Will a standard TREX 450 canopy fit on the Big Lama?
Joe,

You would need to move the existing rear holes in the TERX 450 canopy forward 20mm and drill holes for the front mount, just tried it on my Big Lama.

You can make anything fit the Big Lama if you try hard enough. Have a look at the pictures of the Decent Devil MD500 Fiber Glass Fuselage that I have justed fitted to my Big Lama.

Suitable for almost all 250 size
helicopters, such as
ALIGN T-REX250
ESKY BIG LAMA
Walkera BIG LAMA
Gaui EP 200
Arttech / Carson BIG LAMA
E-Flite CX3

Specification:

*Body length:425mm
*Body width:199mm
*Body height:130mm
*Weight :160g

Accessory:

*Fiber Glass scale fuselage x 1
*Pellucid canopy cover x 1
*Horizontal stabilizer x 1
*Vertical stabilizer x 3
*Mounting Pack x 1
Last edited by Flying Barry; Jun 20, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 02:28 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
That looks nice, Barry. How much does that fuselage cost? I have a few ideas on doing some mods on the Big Lama to make it look a bit like a TREX, but I'm not sure if they will work, (since I don't actually have one yet.)

I'm going away next week, so I will probably be ordering a Big Lama, when I get home. I can't wait to get one, so I can start messing around with it.

Joe