HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Montag DP, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:55 AM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Cool
"Streak"

Someone made a thread about the Great Planes Electrostreak and I decided it looked cool and I wanted something like it, so I quickly whipped up this. It's got a mid wing and an MH-32 airfoil for speed (I'm open to other suggestions at this point).

It will be my biggest plane yet (I'm planning on building this one before the "Big AP Plane" a few entries down), with a 47" wingspan and 40" length. I'm planning to just make it hand-launch with no landing gear because I think LG is awkward on this type of plane, but it would be easy enough to include removable landing gear too.

I want to prop it for speed with a motor around 300 watts, and a folding prop. If anyone has any suggestions for a motor/prop combo let me know.

It will be laser cut from balsa and ply. The plan right now is to finish the design in the next couple weeks and then build it in August after my internship's over and before classes start again. Wish me luck.

Maiden Flight Video:

Grandpa Bob's Plane (1 min 36 sec)

Aerial video:

R/C Plane over Pendleton, NY (3 min 39 sec)
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Last edited by Montag DP; Jul 14, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2009, 08:12 AM
USA, TX, Diboll
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
cool. be sure to post building pics and/or video as you go. i would like to see this one fly
Chestum is offline Find More Posts by Chestum
Old May 25, 2009, 11:03 AM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestum
cool. be sure to post building pics and/or video as you go. i would like to see this one fly
Thanks. I'll definitely keep the thread updated.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:29 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Very Simple 400.. I like it..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Last edited by Tram; Oct 26, 2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:16 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Yeah I'm bad at thinking of names. If I ever did this for a living I'd have to hire someone to think of them for me.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:41 PM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
Just wanted to make another note encouraging you to update with pics. I've been kinda interested in this plane for some time...The GP ARF looks nice but I just like building stuff myself out of wood...
nikolaus_c is offline Find More Posts by nikolaus_c
Old May 26, 2009, 12:56 AM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
From the sketches, it looks pretty nice! I am thinking, it could also be turned into a quickly-throw-together kind of plane, with the fuse and wings hot wired out of EPS foam.

Are you gonna publish plans? More photos? Could it also be used as a pattern plane?
AirBorne_AZ is offline Find More Posts by AirBorne_AZ
Old May 26, 2009, 10:23 AM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBorne_AZ
From the sketches, it looks pretty nice! I am thinking, it could also be turned into a quickly-throw-together kind of plane, with the fuse and wings hot wired out of EPS foam.

Are you gonna publish plans? More photos? Could it also be used as a pattern plane?
You probably could hot wire it out of foam, but I have absolutely no experience doing that so I don't know what it would involve.

My usual course of action is to get the parts laser cut and to build them without plans, and then to give the files for the parts to whoever wants them so that they can do the same. My kits don't really need plans since everything keys together, but if other people want to build it it would probably be good for me to make an instruction manual or at least a build log so people know where all the parts go.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
Well, if you plan on publishing plans, I might give hot wired foam a try. Let me know.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBorne_AZ
Well, if you plan on publishing plans, I might give hot wired foam a try. Let me know.
How detailed do the plans have to be to hot-wire? I could give you the basic shapes of the fuselage, tail and wing whenever and you could cut it as you please.
Old May 27, 2009, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2003
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
How detailed do the plans have to be to hot-wire? I could give you the basic shapes of the fuselage, tail and wing whenever and you could cut it as you please.
Yeh I guess the basic shape and dimensions of the fuse, wing and tail would do. I may use a relatively slower airfoil though.
Old Jun 02, 2009, 11:28 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
This is a great project. I had a plans built Electrostreak. I modded it and built it light. 22oz with a 3S 2100 and Mega 16/15/6 Radared at 87mph out of a dive. Very quiet and floaty. Lost it to a midair (it's second).
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jun 03, 2009, 06:04 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
Cool. I'm going to try to build this one light too.

I'm still working on it but am going slower now because I started work for the summer this week. I should have an update in a few days though.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:41 PM
Sink stinks
Joined Apr 2005
4,533 Posts
I've got a good start on the wing. I've encountered unforeseen difficulties due to the angles - especially since the main spar is swept back and tapers as well. It makes it hard to create the tabs and notches, because it's impossible to get them to fit perfectly since the laser cutter can only make straight cuts into the wood.

I think I'm definitely more than halfway done with the wing now though. I have the ribs, main spar, cap strips, and the leading edge brace and dowel. Now I just need to make the trailing edge and ailerons.
Last edited by Montag DP; Jun 13, 2009 at 08:36 AM.