HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by thistle2311, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:08 PM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
813 Posts
Discussion
How I Got into Handlaunch Gliders

We all have a story about getting into HandLaunch Gliders. What's yours?

Here's mine.

I'm a self-employed architect who loves to sail and more recently to fly handlaunch gliders. I stumbled upon the handlaunch scene by accident. Back in college I built a few freeflight gliders and although radio control was around the components were too big and too pricey for a guy in college. So I went away from it although my interest remained.

I have some in-laws from Switzerland and on one trip over there I saw sailplanes flying in the vicinity of Gstaad. To make a long story short, I ended up thermaling in a high performance german-made glider over the Alps for several hours at the hands of a pilot whose name I recall was Sperben Marcus.

Then in 2010 I decided to do a search on his name and on glider clubs in Switzerland, and that's when I came upon RC gliders. Wow, I said, look what I've been missing all these years.

As a sailor who races a Thistle, I avoid motors, so no engines for me. I only was interested in handlaunch. Let me at it! My first plane was a Swyft, not a plane for a novice I have been told, but for me a great way to be introduced to dlg and side arm launching. I learned a lot about build methods (thanks Scobie and Liftworx, great build info! The best how to manual on constructing a kit that I have come across). My son Derek got into it with a DL50 from Mountain Models and on we went. I used to have a couple versions of the Mimi scratch built from plans by Frans Bal (and Steve from Aberdeen in the case of the built-up wing version). My most competitive planes are composite aileron planes with wings and tailfeathers I have bagged on my own (bought the cores), with carbon booms also purchased online and fiberglassed balsa and ply pods I have custom made for each plane.

We are having a lot of fun with these planes, all dlg, and even my wife is doing a bit of flying. Somehow we have managed to move beyond the crash a day phase, mainly because we minimize the crazy experiments, not that our technique is so great.

I mainly fly Topsky booms and pods fitted with Zone or AG 1.5m wings with topdrive set-ups. I've met dlg guys in FL and expect to meet up with a fellow who flies an Elf in Vienna this coming summer.

So, I've gotten to where I can avoid the stupid crashes mostly, and take some long rides up on a regular basis.

So when the wind is real heavy, we take to the water. When it's light, we take to the field! No work and all play, what could be better?

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is offline Find More Posts by thistle2311
Last edited by thistle2311; Mar 20, 2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: update content
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:57 PM
australia
Joined Jun 2007
2 Posts
PDF File

Hello,
I would realy like to have the PDF file of your 48" dlg
best regards dean Markwick Australia
bxflyer is offline Find More Posts by bxflyer
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:15 PM
Lots of Air Play
Joined Dec 2008
813 Posts
I've sent out plans to a couple hundred folks who want to build and fly an inexpensive glider. You buy a carbon boom and everything else is constructed with balsa and a bit of 1/32" plywood and basswood. Voila, a 48" glider to thermal with.

Feel free to post on RC Groups or PM me with your email address and I'll send it out to you.

Fly high!

Dave in CT (USA)
Last edited by thistle2311; Mar 20, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jan 2006
154 Posts
Hi dave!

I am looking forward to meet you with your family in vienna soon and maiden my ELF at that time with your help!

greetings from vienna,
Christian
kornetto is online now Find More Posts by kornetto
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:00 AM
Lots of Air Play
Joined Dec 2008
813 Posts
Elf in Vienna

Christian:
Should be great fun!. The Elf looks like a terrific little bird from what I have seen.

Dave in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornetto View Post
Hi dave!

I am looking forward to meet you with your family in vienna soon and maiden my ELF at that time with your help!

greetings from vienna,
Christian