HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2001, 01:14 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
A Blast from the Past?

Hi folks
Was that a flying weekend or what? In one Sunday afternoon I flew the Embat, Four Star 40, CAP 232 and Duskstik, each at least twice. In near calm, and 100% humidity, the flying was great and I sweated off several pounds too!

Even got the Four Star into a torque roll. Maybe if I drop from the 16 x 8 Zinger to a 16 x 6 APC, I can hold it for more than a single roll.

Anyway, went for a lurk in the LHS today and there's a bunch of pretty old kits in there on consignment sale. A quick search turned up a "New Era III", an 70's vintage oilburner for a 25 and just the right size for a ten cell package.

I've been looking at the plan feature for this one for some time, the kit price was just too low to pass on and everything's in the box. Low wing, not too bad structurally, and nice aerobatic performance by all accounts. If I stay with the trike gear, it may even be old enough for classic, if not exactly vintage, RC events. Maybe I should make a dummy OS 25 cylinder for the front end?

If there's any kit collectors reading - there's A Graupner QuikFli, a HOB Piet'N'Pol (8 - 10 cells?), a quarter midget racer - Shoestring? - a Midget Mustang F1 kit, and a few others. There's even this funny long skinny thing called an 'electric soarer' Boxes are all complete, though some have seen better days.

The highest tag I saw was $40.00 on the Piet'n'Pol - box is tolerable and the plans are complete with the nice set of documentation drawings.

For Metro area bods, it's "Suzie Goose" on Gude Drive in Rockville, and Roy's back end of the week - poor fellow is down in Miami, flying advertising blimps at a convention. As these are consignment sales, they are taking cash, not plastic I understand. The shop's web site is www.suziegoose.com

Regards

Dereck

[This message has been edited by Dereck (edited 08-06-2001).]
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2001, 01:21 PM
BillBowne
n/a Posts
Dereck: Was that the Goldberg Shoestring (.40 sized glow)? If so, Mickey had one many years ago, and totally loved it.

Bill B.

Old Aug 06, 2001, 01:42 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Bill
I think it was an 049 racer version, around 35" span.

Nice looking aircraft, I nearly came over faint when Grape Stains BARf'ed that one.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck