Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
drjack,

Your Citabria is a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:22 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,357 Posts
"Citabrias and Decathlons!"

Both because they are essentially the same airplane. They took a Citabria (airbatic in reverse), beefed it up the take a larger power plant, and the Decathalon was born.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:32 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
"Citabrias and Decathlons!"

Both because they are essentially the same airplane. They took a Citabria (airbatic in reverse), beefed it up the take a larger power plant, and the Decathalon was born.
Citabria - flat-bottom wing

Decathlon - semi-symmetrical wing

EJWash
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,547 Posts
Beauty! Nice airplane!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:59 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Thats Purdy
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:41 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,357 Posts
"Citabria - flat-bottom wing
Decathlon - semi-symmetrical wing
EJWash"

Cannot debate the subject. I have taken pictures of both (before digital) at our local airport, but dog ate one of my albums, and the only thing on my computer is the Pilot Decathalon that I built some years ago.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,182 Posts
Lets not forget the Super Decathlon... That came after Bellancas turned them over to American Champion..if I'm not mistaken. There were also some changes from the original Decathlon to the Super.. not so much to the naked eye, but internal.. Those changes took the Decathlon series way beyond any Citabria..although the Citabria is aerobatic, the Decathlon, and Super D are way up there..

One example of those changes is the main spar/wing materials.. ribs and spars were spruce in the Citabria, with the Decathlon the main spar got changed to a metal with spruce ribs .. The Super got all metal wings..with all models still retaining the fabric covering.. The Citabria actually had an all spruce wing.. ribs inclusive.. The Decathlon although still used spruce ribs, went to the metal spar set-up.... The Super has an all metal wing frame..

Power wise evolved greatly too from one model to the next.. obviously..

So yeah... they definately beefed them up. They can still be had for aound 1/3 the price of an Extra300 though.. I prefer my models though.. haha.. I've still got to take a shot of my GreatPlanes Super D.. I was meaning to do that before the weather took a dive the last few weeks..

We won't see good picture quality sun for a while.. still very nice for a motorcycle ride.. and that's where I'm going now.. its next best to full scale flying I think.. and right up there with RC.. either way.. have a great day. I'm glad this thread is still kickin.. can't wait to see some nice planes coming out of it.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:09 AM
Joined May 2005
86 Posts
EJ, Following my PM to you i have attached a picture of the TE build i do not understand.your building skills i hope will point me in the right way.i am waiting to start my build and looking at your build for tips etc.The first picture shows a chamfer but that reduces the thickness at the rear and the seconnd picture does not have much mating area.can you give your opinion please,the pictures are very rough and not to scale.
rubble is offline Find More Posts by rubble
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:16 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble View Post
.The first picture shows a chamfer but that reduces the thickness at the rear and the seconnd picture does not have much mating area.can you give your opinion please,the pictures are very rough and not to scale.
Rubble,

If you go to post #27, you'll see that the wing's bottom trailing edge pinned on top of the plans. The trailing edge of the wing ribs are glued to the top of the trailing edge. There is shadowing in the pic that sort of makes it appear that there is a rabbet on the bottom trailing edge of the wing ribs, but there is not.

If you go to post #114 (page #8) you'll see pics of the 1/16" cap strips in place that stretch from the leading edge sheeting to the trailing edge sheeting. Same for the top of the wing - leading and trailing edge sheeting on top of the ribs, cap strips between.

I didn't chamfer the top trailing edge sheet (on the bottom) because I did not want the trailing edge to be too thin. This ain't a speed demon...

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Rubble,

In post #46 you will notice that there is a triangular-shaped strip of balsa on top of the wing's trailing edge 1/16" sheet running the span of the wing. This strip attaches at the rear of the ribs and provides a surface for the 1/16" trailing edge sheet to bond to. If you look at the profile view of the wing on the plan, you'll notice that the bottom trailing edge sheet is sanded to match the angle of the shaped trailing edge strip.

EJWash
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Oct 2011
238 Posts
Any progress on this build, lately?

I've been thinking about building a Citabria/Decathlon, just not sure whether to go kit or ARF or what.

My dad owned a full scale Citabria for a while when I was pretty young. In my early teens, I built a Sig Kadet kit and really enjoyed that, just never got to fly it before life got in the way.

This Sig Citabria kit seems like a natural nostalgic journey for me to look into, since getting back into RC about a year and a half ago. I haven't built a kit since that Kadet, 35 years ago (did I just say that?), but this one seems like something I could get into.
aero550 is offline Find More Posts by aero550
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:30 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
aero550,

No progress on this build at all.

I'm down to painting, but don't have the room in my shop to do so. My shop consists of a 3-car garage, but two of the three bays have been taken-up by a 19' motorboat. The good news is that the boat is going to dry storage at one of our lakes this week. This will free-up a lot of space and I will able to set-up for painting. I'm in the process of building a magnetic building board, and when that's done I will be able to paint the Citabria.

The Citabria and Decathlon have a special place in my heart. I flew the full-size planes and to this day it is still among the top most enjoyable planes I've flown. If I ever hit those five "magic" numbers, you bet there'd be a Decathlon in the hanger.

The Sig Citabria kit is top notch. It was the first kit I took-on after a twenty-plus year hiatus from the hobby (career, raising a family). I would not call it a beginner's kit, though very suitable for a builder returning to the building board after some time off.

I say go for it. Plenty of help if you need it from the membership.

EJWash
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I share your pain with the painting. I have a Tritle Super Cub that's *this* close to being done, but I lack the space indoors to spray paint and it's too cold right now to do it outside, so I'm stuck till I either get a house with a garage or it warms up a bit.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:53 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,326 Posts
Wouldn't brush application make more efficient use of available space?
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Wouldn't brush application make more efficient use of available space?
No comparison to spraying. You just can't get that beautiful finish from brushing, at least in my opinion.
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub