That looked like a good flight to me.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:10 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Amazingly enough I have flown many low and high wing taildraggers and am considered to be a very good pilot. The plane was built exactly to the instructions and the cg balanced out perfect. The plane required a ton of trim and just never seems to fly right. I know that in the video it did not appear to be squirly but there are two reasons for that. The first reason is the fact that the plane does not appear to be twitchy in flight even though it really is. (kind of weird when you think about it) There was also no wind when the video took place which cased it to fly a tad better. I hope you have better luck with your citabria. Ours was a HUGE dissappointment.
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
Just so everyone does not get the impression that schroeder4 is schizophrenic, I would like to state that my son and I share this RC groups account.

I would also like to share my impressions of the Sig Citabria. While my son had far more success flying the plane than I, he was more disappointed with it. We have only had the plane out flying three times since completion (it has been an unusually windy spring here), and the video is not of the maiden flight. We asked the assistance of one of the more experienced pilots in our club to help with that, and it is a good thing that we did. It took several flights to get it trimmed out so that it would fly reasonably well, and his main comment was that he was suprised at how much power it had (I put a Saito 72 4-stroke in it on the recommendation of the local hobby shop) and that it only needed 1/2 throttle on take-off. I had flown it while it was in the air the first two times out, with my son taking care of take-offs and landings (this is my first taildragger). After the second time out I was feeling pretty comfortable with the plane in the air, and the third time out (the day I took the video of my son's flight) there was no wind, so I decided that I wanted to try and fly it "solo". Unfortunately, I did not give it enough power and too much up elevator, which stalled and cart-wheeled it on take-off. The damage is relatively minor, but I have decided that this is not a good second airplane for me. I definitely enjoyed the build more than the flying of it.

Bernard
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
I have been flying mine since I built it in 1993 and it is absolutely one of the best flying Citabria's on the market. It is so gentle and behaves so well that it is a pure joy to fly. Just like a modernized Champ. There's a reason the kits have been on the market for over 30 years. It's a great kit, and a GREAT flying model. It needs to be built straight and square to fly correctly though. As a side note, it fly's a whole lot better than the Great Planes Decathlon kit. That thing will snap if you look at it funny, not to mention the Sig kit is scale and the GP kit is not.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:59 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,411 Posts
Interesting. Two completely different comments about the same plane. I have mine nearly ready to go except for the windshield which , for some reason I cannot get it fit correctly, even when using the paper patterns.
Mine balances exactly at the recommended CG without the battery pack (flying electric) using a Hacker A50-12S outrunner. So it appears the pack will go directly under the CG.
Not to change the subject, but I bought a Goldberg Cub from my older brother which he had built and never flew, and it was a bit squirrely. Never found out why either. I also had a GP .40 Cub which flew fine, The Goldberg Cub is supposed to be a very nice flying plane even though it is a sport scale version.
Can't imagine what was wrong with it...my brother is a mechanical engineer and can build the most intricately detailed models as well as a scale 1898 torpedo boat from three view drawings, but I can't imagine him building it wrong.
Oh well, I guess I'll find out.
Going to recover the elevator and rudder as the red-white checkerboard makes it look too busy and I've got to make a modification in the fuse for a battery access door and tray. The pilot has been waiting for two years now and it's still not ready. !?!?!?!
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Looks like it flew real nice in the video...sorry to hear of its demise as it was real purdy!!. I;m getting ready to re-build my clipped cub ..total pilot error.. Best plane I have flown.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Jolly, Don't worry about your Citabria. If the wings are built straight with no twist, and the fuse and stabs are straight and everything is square and rigged correctly and she is balanced correctly, you will LOVE the way she flys. Don't over power it either. I power mine with a Saito .50 4-stroke a its too much power for scale flight. I started out with a old tired Saito .45, but it just was not quite enough power on takeoff. One little hickup on rotation and I would have been in trouble. It really is a sweet, honest flying scale model. Enjoy!
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,411 Posts
Scott, thanks for the reassurance. Now I need to get the windshield fitted properly which means I have to make another pattern and go to it again. Can't figure out why this is happening. I may have skewed the fuse a tiny bit up front and this may be the cause....have to check it out. Trying to cut out those very tight curves are making me scream. next time I'm going to try a small drum sander and Dremel to get it right..hopefully.
I would like to use Lipo cells as they are light enough to not cause any weight problems but the installation would take a modification to the fuse in order to create a hatch and battery shelf. I may still do this. Maybe make it look like the door. We'll see. I have some Citabria photos I bought from Sig and I can check them for door location and size. Since the plane essentially ballances at the CG without the battery pack, they will have to be mounted directly under the CG location or a little towards the nose. That of course can be adjusted.
I couldn't begin to figure out why schroeder4 had problems with his, however given that I had the same problem with the Goldberg Cub indicates something was built amiss, not aligned or mechanical problem...not to cast any aspersions on schroeder4, but we all make mistakes in this hobby and I've witnessed some very bad failures by the builder including myself which resulted in some very embarrassing moments re; unscheduled landings.
The thing is to take some time and try to analyze what went wrong by being your own NTSB. A bit of sleuthing may be in the offing here. If some people have no problems with the plane while others do, then something is being missed. This is where we can help others with the problem .
cheers
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
Just this moment finished reading this entire inspiring thread.

On the squirrely model, since the balance supposedly checks out, and if the wing is not washed out, a thought might be to check the rest of the setup: the stab incidence angle, rudder offset or engine thrust angle could be off?
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Sep 2009
13 Posts
Hi all!

This is my citabria. It will be powered with ASP 61 4-stroke. I decided to go with 2 servos in wing HS-225. Now I am about to start covering elevator, rudder and wing. Fuselage needs to be sanded. Covering material will be Oracover.

I really enjoyed building this plane. I had one problem to align fuselage straight. Balsa sides were not equal dense so it twists. I decide to make a simple triangle jig - on picture. Triangles are holding with screws direct to table .

I was expecting that she will behave like a trainer. There are so many J3 Cubs ... so I decided to buy this kit.

Anyway I need to properly check all angles of incidence. I think there are no advice how it should be. It seems all should be in zero - correct me if I am Wrong. Now i need to figure out how to measure it

Sorry for my english - i hope you will understand
hawkySVK is offline Find More Posts by hawkySVK
Last edited by hawkySVK; Jul 23, 2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Having flown both the Goldberg Cub, and the Sig Citabria, I can safely state that both models can be built to fly well. If they are not built straight, problems can, and WILL, occur.

Knowing both EJ, and Jolly, I am sure that there models will fly extremely well.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,335 Posts
"I was expecting that she will behave like a trainer."

Perhaps. Depending:-)))))))))))))

Citabria is Airbatic spelled backwards. It was named that for a reason. Mine would do anything I wanted it to, much unlike the Cub.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:27 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,222 Posts
I got curious about the incidence built into my Citabria, so I measured it.

I first (bubble) leveled and secured the fuselage fore/aft, and side/side. I attached the wing to the fuselage. I then attached the measuring bar of my Hanger-9 digital incidence meter to the wing. Next, I placed the incidence meter inside the cabin along the top of the fuselage stringer, which is parallel to the reference line shown on the plans. I then zeroed-out the incidence meter. I then moved the meter to the horizontal stab. The reading: -00.1 degrees. I'll live with one-tenth of one degree... I then placed the meter on top of the measuring bar on the wing. The reading: +2.2 degrees. The specs on the Sig Manuals website calls for zero degrees on the stab, and +1 on the wing. I'm going to have to live with the extra +1.2 degrees, unless I want to shim the back of the wing. Then again, it really depends on the accuracy in which I sanded the leading edge because that's where incidence meter bar fits...

http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/S...itabriaSP.html

The specs also call for zero-degrees of side/down thrust on the engine. My model is good there too.

This plane, like it's full-size counterpart, is no speed demon. The name says it all, but it was meant for "mild" or "basic" aerobatics. If it is over-engined and flown with huge control surface travels, its going to demand skill and attention - just like any other over-powered plane.

Tom, thanks for the shot of confidence. Now all I need is cooler weather and for the planets to line-up just right so I can work-up the nerve to paint it!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:40 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,316 Posts
EJ--An earlier photo also made it appear that there is no vertical stabilizer offset on your model. While the plans for my 1/5 Monocoupe call for a whopping 5 degrees! And 2 degrees right and down engine thrust.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post

Tom, thanks for the shot of confidence. Now all I need is cooler weather and for the planets to line-up just right so I can work-up the nerve to paint it!

EJWash
Earl, The next time you fly over Michigan, stop by and pick me up. I'll do the painting for you !
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump