HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:56 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,918 Posts
Lacquer thinner will thin your Balsarite. I'd be careful with the foam brush, though. The Balsarite could disolve it.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:38 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I'm confused.
No Tom, I'M CONFUSED!!!!

I was thinking of Hobbylite balsa filler!

My bad!

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:41 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder4 View Post
EJ,

We must have different formulations of Balsarite. I rechecked my label and it says to thin with Coverite Ironex. I was hoping that there was a more common name for this solvent that I could purchase at the hardware store. My closest hobby shop is about an hour away.
I was on the road when I read your post and tried really hard to get my products straight. I got an 'F'...

I was thinking of Hobbylite balsa filler.

I used the Coverite Ironex thinner to thin the Balsarite. When you open the can of Balsarite, it starts getting thicker and thicker. I thinned it to about the consistency of dope.

Man, I gotta stop thinking after 8PM...

EJWash
Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna54tango View Post
heres a photo of my old 7ECA from 2004. sold it and am building an acrosport 2 now.... anyways, thought youd enjoy the pic. your build looks great
Thanks 54-Tango,

Nice 7ECA. Looks like a recover and new paint, or just new paint?

All the luck with your Acro Sport II build. I remember drooling on one at Oshkosh years ago...

EJWash
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:00 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,605 Posts
"Man, I gotta stop thinking after 8PM..."

Sounds that just like me, that has already happened:-))))))

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
EJwash how is your build going?
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:09 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
EJwash how is your build going?
Schroeder, thanks for the interest.

The Citabria is all covered and ready for paint. I'm guilty of getting involved with another build.

It keeps giving me dirty looks...

EJWash
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:59 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
EJ, In regards to the windshield, I have made several attempts to get this done correctly and have ruined two examples already. I'm having problems trying to figure how the windshield is supposed to be cut and shaped around the airfoil shaped upper cabin formers.
Even using card stock for pre shaping the windshield does not seem to help. Is it me or that I cannot figure out how the upper part of the windshield is supposed to fit.
There no pictures in the construction manual to help with this. I think Sig could have done a better job at this point with a few detailed photos of the fit.
I'm going to keep trying to get this done correctly.
Also, trying to cut out the shape of the material is very difficult around those very tight curves at the upper section. Got any advice?
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Why Yes I Fly!
United States, IA
Joined Oct 2009
161 Posts
I am having a hard time getting the windshield to work too.
schroeder4 is offline Find More Posts by schroeder4
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
Quote:
I am having a hard time getting the windshield to work too.
Frustratin' ain't it.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Jollyroger,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
EJ, In regards to the windshield, I have made several attempts to get this done correctly and have ruined two examples already. I'm having problems trying to figure how the windshield is supposed to be cut and shaped around the airfoil shaped upper cabin formers.
Page 24 of the build manual has the windshield template. I made several copies of the template onto 65-pound card stock. Yes, the bugaboo is cutting a fit around the upper cabin formers. The bottom of the template where it attaches to the top of the fuselage and the sides were a good fit per the template. The first template I used was neither a close-fit nor too far-off. I can't remember how many card stock templates I went through before I cut one to my liking, but it was at least four or five. I do remember taping the templates to the top of the cabin.

What came in VERY handy, and what I see as a must, was cutting the tight-turn airfoil shapes of the upper cabin area with curved-nose scissors (see pic). I "borrowed" a pair from my wife's cosmetic "hardware" drawer (a VERY dangerous mission...) and I later found a pair at my local hobby shop (black handles in the pic) but I do not remember the brand.

I'd recommend nit-picking at the card stock templates before cutting the plastic.

EJWash
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,414 Posts
I'm using card stock but it's not 65# and I do have a pair of those scissors normally used for cutting the Lexan material for RC car bodies..
Even those lexan scissors do not work around such tight curves for the upper formers.
As far as how the windshield should fit at those formers I'm a bit perplexed. Should the material cover the formers or cut away from them to fit around the formers?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:21 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,605 Posts
"I later found a pair at my local hobby shop "

Intended for cutting out lexan car bodies. Work just great.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
As far as how the windshield should fit at those formers I'm a bit perplexed. Should the material cover the formers or cut away from them to fit around the formers?
On page-18 of the manual, scrap 1/8" X 1/4" balsa is added to the bottom of the formers so the windshield material has something to make contact with for glueing. Otherwise, the windshield will be hanging out "into space" in this area.

I agree that the tight-turn was not easy to cut, but I nipped-away at it with the scissors I posted.

EJWash
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:19 PM
SLC, Ut
Joined Apr 2010
118 Posts
You might try using a hole punch for the tip of the radius and scissors for the rest of the cut out. I seem to recall doing that in the past.
yel914 is offline Find More Posts by yel914