Old May 29, 2009, 07:22 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Nice work

EJW,

Nice to see that you got your building board and you like it.

You have started good work on the wings.
That will be profitable experience for you.

The gluing you do assures that the structure is not held together by the covering .

Is there a couple of degrees of washout built into the wings? It is hard to tell by the pictures.

Keep on the nice work and keep smiling .

Your friend _ _ _ Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2009, 10:52 AM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
It's looking good EJ, keep it going.

What motor are you going to put on yours?

There is about 2* washout built into the wingtip rib in this kit, SIG thought of everything with it, even comes with pinned hinges instead of the non-pinned version.

Have you made a decision on the controls for the rudder and elevator? I'm going to put the pull-pull on the rudder like I have all my other planes and on the elevator I'm going to put in a single pushrod with a dual outlet on it so the elevator level across in flight for more realism.
BillyP. is offline Find More Posts by BillyP.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:10 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
BillyP,

I'm going to run an OS FS-52 in mine. Are you going to stick with the FS-48?

The hinges in the kit are the "funky" one-piece Sig hinges. I'll trade those out for pinned ones.

As far as controls, I'm going with conventional pushrods for the rudder and elevator, and the plan depicted set-up for the ailerons. I want to keep this model as simple as possible, so I don't need two aileron servos.

Glues drying...

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old May 29, 2009, 02:23 PM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to stick with the .48 on it....have one on the test stand to run it and see if it will run after sitting for a while.
BillyP. is offline Find More Posts by BillyP.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:43 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Nice work on the wing, EJ.

Are you going to place a fully detailed interior in her ?
Thanks Tom.

No, no interior detail on this one. If I can find a pilot figure brave enough to go in it, I'll at least go that far.

EJWash
Old May 30, 2009, 12:17 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Moved along a little more today.

Positioned and glued the leading edge stock to the wings (Iím posting pics of the left wing panel, but brought the right wing panel up to the same completion). This joinery is all about clamping pressure. Note that I used a length of aluminum angle to both bring the front of the ribs even with the leading edge stock and to also provide even clamping pressure along the leading edge stock.

I also glued the top spare and aileron spar into position.

I feature the Miter Sander from Fourmost Products that I purchased through Bruce Tharp Engineering (http://www.btemodels.com/fourmost.html). I also have their Mitre Saw. I like the sander because it gives a reference to hold the work (wood) straight and square as it is sander. No rounding over that you get when sanding ďfree-handĒ.

The Mitre Sander came into play in shaping the wingtip pieces. The outer most wing rib is smaller than the rest. Itís set at an angle downward than the rest of the ribs, providing a little bit of wash-out to aid in preventing tip-stall. As a result, the top and bottom spars as well as the leading and trailing edges have to be fitted away from the constant line of the rest of the wing. As you can see, the Mitre Sander provides a tight joint.

If I may pass along another tip, cut long and sand down flush.

Hopefully, Iíll get to the ailerons and wing mid-section this weekend.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; May 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:33 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Offt
EJ,
Thanks for the pictures - the build and wing look great. Just the inspiration I need to stop planting grass and finish my winter build (a modified Spectra sailplane).

Alan

I love the Decathlon and have a smaller House of Balsa kit
Cool!

Are you going fuel or electric with it?

Thanks for the compliment.

EJWash
Old May 30, 2009, 05:40 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,558 Posts
I would think that both the 48 and 52 four strokes would be good selections for this model.

I once saw one fly with a worn out OS 40FP. It had no issues with power.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 30, 2009, 07:59 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP.

It's looking good EJ, keep it going.

What motor are you going to put on yours?

There is about 2* washout built into the wingtip rib in this kit, SIG thought of everything with it, even comes with pinned hinges instead of the non-pinned version.

Have you made a decision on the controls for the rudder and elevator? I'm going to put the pull-pull on the rudder like I have all my other planes and on the elevator I'm going to put in a single pushrod with a dual outlet on it so the elevator level across in flight for more realism.
The washout is necessary for the full length of the ailerons so that they remain more effective while the inner wing is stalling.

I was looking for that in the pics of post #36. It does not appear to be there. The wing tip rib alone is shaping the wing tip but will not provide the desired effect of washout.

Hinges with pins, very little friction, what I have been recommending all along. That is good.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 30, 2009, 08:33 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Cool!

Are you going fuel or electric with it?

Thanks for the compliment.

EJWash
Electric. Haven't looked at the kit since I bought it so I don't know how much it might be lighted since it was designed for fuel.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old May 30, 2009, 11:08 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Offt
Electric. Haven't looked at the kit since I bought it so I don't know how much it might be lighted since it was designed for fuel.
HOB was way ahead of their time with the size models they offered. Who knew that park flying would gain legs?

I have both the HOB gas and electric AT-6 models. I bought the gas with the intent of converting it to electric, and then stumbled across the Ziroli electric kit. Now I don't intend on building the gas kit.

Back to glueing. Mmmm, Titebond....

EJWash
Old May 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I have thought about doing the same thing your doing, having an airplane to introduce R/C flying to friends. I've just finished a Senior Telemaster that will work good for this. It's going to have many tasks, such as bomb and parachute drops, aerial photo taking and buddy box trainer. It's the last ARF I'm planing on doing for a while. I've sort of burnt myself out on them. However, I have built for hire and will build for people. I have a son who is interested in R/C so that might be a start. Also, I can then let some of my flying buddies check out flying via Mode One.

I really love the old rag covered general aviation airplanes!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old May 30, 2009, 06:23 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
ModeOne,

It's a fun project thus far. Good kit, great quality overall. A couple of snags (broke a rib sliding it onto the spars - cut a new one) but all my fault.

On the back-side of the wing panels. Pics tonight!

EJWash
Old May 31, 2009, 01:48 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,290 Posts
A little more progress. The ailerons are built onto the the wing and then cut free. The challenge was in sanding the aileron ribs to get a flat joining surface. I ended up making a jig t serve this purpose.

EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; May 31, 2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:57 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,191 Posts
EJ,
I always wanted to build the wing and ailerons (as well as stabilizer and elevator, etc) in one piece and cut them apart later but I'm concerned about how I know where to make the cut. I tend to use 1/8 vertical pieces with 1/16th sheeting top and bottom from the hinge-line for about 1/4 inch forming a side-ways U shape. In a one-piece build, I never accurately know where to cut the (now 1/2 inch wide) sheeting.

From what I have seen in your pictures, do you just laminate balsa to form the pieces (which would replace my side-ways U) and then not apply glue to the lamination where you want to separate aileron and wing?

I'm beginning to like an open-aileron build instead of sheeting the whole surface (which I found to add unnecessary weight). I see where it could lend itself to a single piece wing/aileron build because you can easily see the separation lines.

Alan

P.S I like the way you use fixtures (in the above set and picture 8 in post 36) to get pieces to fit right. I'm constantly making patterns from thick card stock so the final cut balsa piece has a chance of fitting.
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Last edited by Al Offt; May 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typos