Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2009, 06:59 PM
Kingston, Tn
Joined Apr 2009
60 Posts
Hey EJ, I couldn't talk you into scanning the part of your plans for the center section where it shows how to cut the spars for the correct dihedral can I? Apparently my plans does not have that on them.
BillyP. is offline Find More Posts by BillyP.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2009, 07:32 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Hey BillyP,

Be happy to!

EJWash
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old May 26, 2009, 08:03 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Following along, also EJ. A Flying buddy back in the early 90s bashed one of these into an Aeronca Champ.

This should be a good plane for non-R/Cers to get some buddy box time with and also a fun plane for you.

I read elsewhere where you have a glider rating. I've always wanted to do that, also. There are no sailplane facilities close by, so I went after my pilot's lic. instead.

Not meaning to derail the thread, so, I'll lead you back to the Citabria.

I haven't built alot of SIG kits, however what I've built were fun to build and great flyers! I hope SIG can hang on until this ARF bubble subsides, if it subsides! Keep on keepin' on!
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old May 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode One
I read elsewhere where you have a glider rating. I've always wanted to do that, also. There are no sailplane facilities close by, so I went after my pilot's lic. instead.
At the time, I wanted to go for a rating just for fun, either a seaplane or glider rating. We moved to the Southwest, so that narrowed that down!

Quote:
I haven't built alot of SIG kits, however what I've built were fun to build and great flyers! I hope SIG can hang on until this ARF bubble subsides, if it subsides! Keep on keepin' on!
Hope the building board arrives by the end of the week so I can get some build time in this weekend.

EJWash
Old May 27, 2009, 05:13 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
EJ, Another great material for a building board is a product called Homosote. Model railroaders (I'm one) love this stuff for it's track nail and/or spike holding power. It's is a material similar to the fiber board sheathing that used to be used in building and insulating homes. It's also similar to the celling tile material, but much denser. It's somewhat difficult to find but typically available if a search is done for it. I bought some for my HO Layout and it is available in 4 X 8 sheets. One of your local Lumber stores may have it. I think it is available in a couple thicknesses. The balsa end grain boards are probably good too, but seem too expensive to me.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:14 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
I have settled on wallboard / sheetrock (the stuff you use as interior walls) for a building surface. Pins push in easily but stay put and do not lean under pressure once they are in. You might be able to find 4x2 or 4x4 scraps at your lumber yard.

It breaks well once scored deeply with a box-cutter on both sides and painter's tape wrapped around cut edges cleans them up nicely.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old May 27, 2009, 08:03 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
EJWash1

I am confused by this thread, please kindly clarify.

Is this a "builld thread for a Citabria" or a discussion of surfaces upon which you plan to do your building?

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Last edited by Zor; May 27, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 27, 2009, 04:25 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Zor,

This is a build thread, not a place to chase people down.

Remove the content of your post #22 in it's entirety.

EJWash
Old May 27, 2009, 07:04 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor
EJWash1

I am confused by this thread, please kindly clarify.

Is this a "builld thread for a Citabria" or a discussion of surfaces upon which you plan to do your building?

Zor
Remove the content of your post #22 in it's entirety.
EJWash
Last edited by EJWash1; May 27, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Thanks Mode One and Al Offt,

The Great Planes building board is on it's way, so I'll be using it for the Citabria. I really want to go the way of the magnetic building board (http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...ard/index.htm). Hope to get one going this summer.

I'll get going when the board comes in.

EJWash
Old May 27, 2009, 08:20 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
There was an article in R/C Sport Flyer this month about magnetic building boards, I'm entrigued. The guy used .074 thick steel and the magnets are fairly inexpensive.
Last edited by Mode One; May 28, 2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old May 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
All,

The Great Planes building board arrived today. It's featured in the first two pics below. It is in fact made of balsa. It is comprised of milled 3/4" thick by 1-7/8" wide balsa planks that are finger-jointed for length. My board is the largest offered by Great Planes at 3/4" X 16" X 48". Overall, I like it.

I put down the plans for the left wing panel and the protective sheeting. The next pics show the forward and rear internal spars and the ribs squared-up and in place. The pins push very well into the building board, and hold secure enough for my taste. Much better (yet more expensive - $29) than the ceiling tile.

I CA'd the ribs into place and then removed the structure from the building board and applied Titebond to the ribs/spar joints just like the right wing panel.

From here, the wing panels will be re-secured to the building board and I will go forward with the rest of the wing panel build.

EJWash
Old May 28, 2009, 09:46 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
There was an article in R/C Sport Flyer this month about magnetic building boards, I'm entrigued. The guy used .074 thick steel and the magnets are fairly inexpensive.
I decided to go with a 36" X 72" 16-gauge surface. This should accommodate large-scale projects, at least as large as I will take on.

EJWash
Old May 29, 2009, 04:45 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,276 Posts
Nice work on the wing, EJ.

Are you going to place a fully detailed interior in her ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 29, 2009, 07:12 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
EJ,
Thanks for the pictures - the build and wing look great. Just the inspiration I need to stop planting grass and finish my winter build (a modified Spectra sailplane).

Alan

I love the Decathlon and have a smaller House of Balsa kit http://www.houseofbalsa.com/store/st...rzguxsmx43K0Q5 sitting on the shelf.
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt